• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Ignorant or racist?

#1
Mrs Raven goes up to the RBL Lady Haig Poppy Appeal stand adjacent to the Edinburgh City Field of Remembrance with the intention of getting a cross and a crescent to plant in the Field in Remembrance of those of her own cap badge who have died.

On asking for crescent she is asked if she means a cross. 'No, I would like a crescent to remember the Muslim soldiers who have died'. Answer (I quote) 'Its the British Army you know'. Needless to say the individual quoted was wearing nothing but a smug look and no medals. Having informed the b*****d the RBL do supply crescents to commemorate the sacrifice of Muslim service personnel, he backed off I was handed over to a very helpful gentleman (with 2 WW medals).

I returned a little while later with a copy of last weekend's Sunday Times supplement that contained pictures of all those killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, pointed to the picture of LCpl Jibran Hashmi, Intelligence Corps, and suggested that the man who did not know that there are Muslims in the British Army might like to take a look. The individual to whom I spoke this time had been present at my original conversation but his only comment was 'Its nothing to do with me' (He had no medals and no morale courage either). I left the magazine for their contemplation.

The saving grace was the gentlemen with medals, and I am in no way suggesting that the RBL and Haig Poppy Appeal in Edinburgh support the views of the two halfwits I encountered. But it left a bad taste and the concern that this might be evidence of the right wing extremist stupidity reported in other threads (BNP and UDA) spreading their poison where it is not wanted.

As has been suggested elsewhere, serving personnel need to get into the RBL not only to do their bit for an organisation supporting us in very many ways, but also to see off these extremist who have probably done nothing more than read Commando magazine rather than actually serve, or spend their spare time walting about in SS uniforms.

This is not a rant, but I can tell you that I have rarely been so angry. The fact is thousands of Muslims have been killed in the service of Crown and Country. Paranoia about a handful of terrorists in this country just feeds the agendas of those extremists and that of the extreme right. Tomorrow I will be remembering those service personnel of all races and creeds who have died in the service of the Crown.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#6
Fallschirmjager said:
MrsRaven said:
But it left a bad taste and the concern that this might be evidence of the right wing extremist stupidity reported in other threads (BNP and UDA) spreading their poison where it is not wanted.
Are you being serious? :roll:
Agree, I can't see the point of this inclusion in the original post. As for the reaction of the original poster, don't you think that you were perhaps a little to quick off the mark? To accuse the bloke of being racist is bit extreme.

Rarely been so angry? Did you wander around Edinburgh all day just looking to be offended? You should have popped over to Niddry. There's plenty to be offended about there.
 
#7
When you said you wanted to remember the muslim soldiers they might have thought you were refering to the Iraqi/Afghans (You could have been one of those weirdos who wear the white poppy)and its a geniune mistake.
Until I just read your thread I was unaware that there was crescent to remember muslim soldiers, It doesn't mean I'm a member of combat 18 does it?
 
#8
There is a lot of stupidity about. During the Pun VC campaign, I had an individual tell me I should be "more worried about the British lads who fought for this country". The individual concerned had worn uniform, HLI National Serviceman. There's not much you can do apart from pointing out quite how blatantly untrue this sort of shite is.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#9
Exactly Stacker, but that probably didn't worry Mrs and Mrs Offended. I'd put money on they tried every Poppy seller until they found this poor sap. They were just out to make a point, either that or the original poster is a liar.
 
#10
Surely the fact the lad wasnt wearing any medals is not pertinent

in fact

Is it not a heart warming that this Poppy seller may not even have been

a Serving Soldier.

then you call the 2 lads " Halfwits"

Surely you should re edit what could be an important posting

and remove that which ought not be there

(and skip the refering to yourself in the first and thrid person)
 
#12
stacker1 said:
When you said you wanted to remember the muslim soldiers they might have thought you were refering to the Iraqi/Afghans (You could have been one of those weirdos who wear the white poppy)and its a geniune mistake.
Until I just read your thread I was unaware that there was crescent to remember muslim soldiers, It doesn't mean I'm a member of combat 18 does it?
Agreed, I wasnt aware of the crescent either, I wouldnt class it as ignorant or racist but mis-informed maybe.
 
#13
Biscuits_AB said:
Fallschirmjager said:
MrsRaven said:
But it left a bad taste and the concern that this might be evidence of the right wing extremist stupidity reported in other threads (BNP and UDA) spreading their poison where it is not wanted.
Are you being serious? :roll:
Agree, I can't see the point of this inclusion in the original post. As for the reaction of the original poster, don't you think that you were perhaps a little to quick off the mark? To accuse the bloke of being racist is bit extreme.

Rarely been so angry? Did you wander around Edinburgh all day just looking to be offended? You should have popped over to Niddry. There's plenty to be offended about there.
So because a cresent could not be had, they were BNP infiltrating the RBL!!!

FFS Come ON!!!!!!!
 
#14
hedgie said:
Surely the fact the lad wasnt wearing any medals is not pertinent

in fact

Is it not a heart warming that this Poppy seller may not even have been

a Serving Soldier.

then you call the 2 lads " Halfwits"

Surely you should re edit what could be an important posting

and remove that which ought not be there

(and skip the refering to yourself in the first and thrid person)
Well done fellas, don't worry about the medals - every Poppy seller is greatly appreciated as it all goes to support the right people. Thanks again.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#15
WasMe said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Fallschirmjager said:
MrsRaven said:
But it left a bad taste and the concern that this might be evidence of the right wing extremist stupidity reported in other threads (BNP and UDA) spreading their poison where it is not wanted.
Are you being serious? :roll:
Agree, I can't see the point of this inclusion in the original post. As for the reaction of the original poster, don't you think that you were perhaps a little to quick off the mark? To accuse the bloke of being racist is bit extreme.

Rarely been so angry? Did you wander around Edinburgh all day just looking to be offended? You should have popped over to Niddry. There's plenty to be offended about there.
So because a cresent could not be had, they were BNP infiltrating the RBL!!!

FFS Come ON!!!!!!!
What part of my post are you referring to or are you caught between posting and X Factor?
 
#16
The RBL have always sold 'Crosses', I can never recall seeing a Star Of David, Crescent, Hindu or come to think of it any other symbol. Tomorrow is not about a soldier’s religion it's about his personal sacrifice, no paranoia, no smacks of racism, BNP or any other political party. Remembrance Sunday is about our comrades short and simple. I refuse to bow to the PC brigade, Europe or some religious nut case to embarrass the memory of Servicemen, Navy, RAF, Army or Marines, Christian, Muslim Sikh, Buddhist whatever. If they have paid the ultimate sacrifice they WILL be remembered!
 
#17
Baldrick ,Totally correct.
I am sick and tired of the pc brigade,dogooders aqnd the other wittering prats going on and on.
Its a bit much when the whole concept of Rememberance Day is being hijacked by these people to make some sort of statement about how bleeding racist we all are.
I thought the idea was to REMEMBER ALL THOSE WHO HAVE FALLEN.

Please wind your necks in for one day at least,rant over for now.
 
#18
Biscuits_AB said:
WasMe said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Fallschirmjager said:
MrsRaven said:
But it left a bad taste and the concern that this might be evidence of the right wing extremist stupidity reported in other threads (BNP and UDA) spreading their poison where it is not wanted.
Are you being serious? :roll:
Agree, I can't see the point of this inclusion in the original post. As for the reaction of the original poster, don't you think that you were perhaps a little to quick off the mark? To accuse the bloke of being racist is bit extreme.

Rarely been so angry? Did you wander around Edinburgh all day just looking to be offended? You should have popped over to Niddry. There's plenty to be offended about there.
So because a cresent could not be had, they were BNP infiltrating the RBL!!!

FFS Come ON!!!!!!!
What part of my post are you referring to or are you caught between posting and X Factor?
THIS BIT!!!!!!!!!
But it left a bad taste and the concern that this might be evidence of the right wing extremist stupidity reported in other threads (BNP and UDA) spreading their poison where it is not wanted.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#19
WasMe said:
Biscuits_AB said:
WasMe said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Fallschirmjager said:
MrsRaven said:
But it left a bad taste and the concern that this might be evidence of the right wing extremist stupidity reported in other threads (BNP and UDA) spreading their poison where it is not wanted.
Are you being serious? :roll:
Agree, I can't see the point of this inclusion in the original post. As for the reaction of the original poster, don't you think that you were perhaps a little to quick off the mark? To accuse the bloke of being racist is bit extreme.

Rarely been so angry? Did you wander around Edinburgh all day just looking to be offended? You should have popped over to Niddry. There's plenty to be offended about there.
So because a cresent could not be had, they were BNP infiltrating the RBL!!!

FFS Come ON!!!!!!!
What part of my post are you referring to or are you caught between posting and X Factor?
THIS BIT!!!!!!!!!
But it left a bad taste and the concern that this might be evidence of the right wing extremist stupidity reported in other threads (BNP and UDA) spreading their poison where it is not wanted.
But it wasn't me who posted that you thick tw*t. Try reading it again.
 
#20
Does anyone remember the PC lot trying to hijack Rememberance Sunday by the selling of white poppies? A peace thing? Tried it in Liverpool in the 80's
 

Latest Threads