If your voting in the PCC elections

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Nov 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Then have a look at this link from BASC Police and Crime Commissioner Elections
    Nothing really surprising apart from the UKIP candidate in Sussex who I think is ex plod anyway doesnt support ownership of firearms and as for some of them not wanting to talk to BASC well neither do I!
  2. Don't vote for any of them. Or even go out to the polling station. The whole thing's ridiculous.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Now that is a sentiment I support but as that **** Blair has also said the same I'm not making too much of it!
  4. Like a broken watch, he has to be right sometimes.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Same here, wouldn't waste valuable wanking time voting for any of them. My polling card went in the bin the day it arrived.
  6. Im not voting. In N Yorks there is a Labour chick and a Conservative chick. The Labour one has no pen picture on the PCC website and the Con just blabs on about shite she doesn't understand. She is a local "business owner" who happens to have the spare £5k needed for deposit. The bint talks about giving Specials "full powers of arrest", last I knew was they already did. She also claims speeding in villages is one of the publics biggest concerns, after speaking to Civpol seems its not! These people just want the cudos of being a PCC along with the big pay packet. Considering you need to poll 5% of the votes to get your deposit back, going up against 1 other person in a huge county seems a pretty good bet on either breaking even or getting a big pay rise for little outlay.
  7. Was tempted to vote for the independent as I don't think the Political Parties should be involved in it. Then I thought why? Is the current system of 'relatively' independent members of the Police Authorities broke and needs fixing?

I don't think so. So, no vote. Even for the independents.
  8. I am very torn over whether to vote, part of me says I should because if I dont then I cannot complain when I don't like what they do.

The bit that annoys me about it all is that most of the candidates are campaigning on issues that in reality they legally will have no influence to change, other than to say Chief Constable if you don't do as I say I will sack you. That to me does not seem reasonable.

Do we want politicians running policing along party political lines?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Apart from receiving my voting card I've had nothing else about the candidates the premise of the election or why they are standing
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well the Home sec has canned a couple over the years and politicians set the HO agenda, make laws and plod complain about politicised senior officers so whats different?
    Ok devils advocate played I just think its a waste of my tax money. I spend 3 hours on the M25Ring race track every day just commuting to and from arbeit to see these ***** spaff it away!
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Unless its in with the council elections I havent received anything and frankly am not upset!
    They are standing as gamblers, £5k deposit for an £80K salary for the next 5 years? Thats gambling in my books!
  12. Every part of the Public Sector is politicised and The Police is no exception unfortunately. I would imagine that to gain senior office you need to toe the party line. Blair as the Commissioner of the Met under Labour and Hogan Howe under the Conservatives.

The relevance of that to my day to day job is fairly minimal. I just don't want Constabularies that are geographically bounded working at tangents to appease a political mandate at the expense of cooperative working to achieve results.

I would like to see candidates with an in depth professional knowledge of the subject that they will be coming into, not sound bite politicos who find it easy to pick up on the topic of the day and court it for votes. I don't believe they will have a huge staff of experts to advise them so where is their in depth knowledge going to come from?
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sound in depth experience, rules out politicians by default, most are placemen never had a real job and served in the party in some capacity. Now do you only want ex coppers? Thats the 180 degree opposite?
    We are poorly served by these clowns!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. No not necessarily police officers, but I would not be averse to an ex copper of good quality and the correct motivation.

Some of the ex Police Authority candidates will be of good quality and will have an in depth knowledge of the job already.

Someone with the knowledge and ability of RUSI or Chatham House but in the Policing arena would be an idea. Bringing truly insightful views to a new position.

The problem with politicians is that they are used to moving departments in Government every few years and having a retinue of experts (Civil Servants) to support them so they never really have to have years of experience or knowledge in any one area.
  15. Voted for the UKIP candidate first and the fairly weak Independent second. The UKIP guy seemed to have a fairly strong position against politics in policing, had been a Naval Officer and worked with the police for ten years. Surprisingly strong for UKIP! Was in Derbyshire btw.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)