If you had a time machine what knowledge would you take back to WW1?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by headgear, Oct 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just for a bit of fun and in the very unlikely event a time machine took you back to the start of WW1 what 1 piece of technological knowledge would you take with you which would shorten the length of the war?

Personally I would take back some ideas for better armoured vehicle design - and naturally that would lead onto tank/ infantry co-operation tactics during naafi break card games!
  2. The SLR.
    • Like Like x 16
  3. The atom bomb; it'd all be over by Christmas.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Body armour Archduke size!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 4
  5. The location of a certain A. Hitler and of the need to defeat the German Army on home soil.

I'd also drop the odd hint about how handing Qingdao to the Japs would only encourage them and so probably wouldn't be a good idea.
  6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

The ability to cut the German railway line that took Lenin back to Russia.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Lowa boots.
  8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

E's. It would all be over around dawn in a field in Essex.
    • Like Like x 6
  9. I'd simply just befriend Adolph, gain his trust and end up annihilating some gypsies.

The lead thieving, new conservatory roof wrecking, pikey *****.
    • Like Like x 6
  10. Pairs fire manoeuvre might have been useful too
  11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Invented in 1912 by the German, Anton Koellisch, and used by German troops in WW1 (allegedly) to suppress the appetite. It may have made them a bit too pally, though.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Buy shares in Vickers, Krupps etc.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. I would use the time machine to go forward and nick the starship enterprise, that would sort the red barron out good and proper.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Kevlar “Swagger Sticks “ to give a little more protection to Subalterns as they led their troops over the top towards the Boche trenches .
  15. I would tell them not to bother going to the 1992 f.a. cup final.