If you had a time machine - what historic events would you like to see?

Yokel

LE
I'd go back to last friday and not order the all day breakfast in Morrison's cafe.

Something I will regret for the rest of my life.
What was wrong with it? I had an all day brunch the other week and it was good.

I would go back to where I met my wife then spike my own drink so I never made it to that club.
So you would meet your future husband instead? Or make a complaint to the Police that you had sexually assaulted yourself? Takes all sorts....

The day I started smoking and kick sh4t out of myself
Several occasions in my youth where I didn’t comprehend signals from female or I was being nice...
Apart from the smoking that sounds familiar.

1st July 1916, Thiepval Wood to witness the 36th Ulsters attack.
31st May 1911, to witness the launch of the Titanic and tell my Great Great Grandfather to nab a few souveniers from the ship. Sep 1, 1985, to see the look on Ballards face when they found the Titanic.
22nd November 1963, the grassy knoll, just to see if Oswald was that good of a shot.
Easter 2000 odd years ago armed with a camera, to prove that the Bible is a load of bollix.

Yokel

LE
My list includes:

The Sermon on the Mount
The signing of the Magna Carta
The Battle of Trafalgar
Faraday's invention of the transformer and the electrical motor
Marconi's historic transmission from Newfoundland to Cornwall
The Battle of Jutland
Early RN carrier experiments during WW1
The first use of radio to carry voice or music
The first development of radar
Frank Whittle trying to get the politicians to take an interest in jet propulsion
The Battle of the River Plate
The Battle of Britain
Cracking the Enigma codes
The two convoy battles in May 1943 that caused the Germans to stop sending U boat Wolfpacks into the Atlantic
The Normandy landings and the naval bombardment that softened up the enemy
VE celebrations
The coronation of HM Queen Elizabeth the second
Any of Eric Brown's firsts
Any of the Mercury, Gemini, or Apollo space missions - from mission control
The Falklands War - in the naval task group
The fall of the Berlin Wall

Personally I would like to go back to the day I got hit by a car and make sure I stayed in that day.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I’d go back to the day I started school and this time work my little balls off.
Go to Cambridge and become PM.
You’d have had a far better GB today. I’m saying no more in case I upset the snowflaking lefty liberal bastards who have systematically ruined this country.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
I'd like to be at jutland and tell that clown Beatty to keep Jellicoe better informed, might have sunk more of the german fleet if Jellicoe had better information, as to the German positions.

I'd like to be at Waterloo, to see if Wellington had won before Blucher actually turned up to turn a french defeat into a rout.

Daughter who us a bit of a history buff herself, would like to be there to see if Henry viii brother did actually consummate his marriage to katherine of Aragon.

I'd also like to have been at hastings and given Harold some advice.. no need for him to actually engage the Norman's.. William had to win a battle, but harold just had to not lose..if he had to fight harold should have kept a tighter grip on the Fyrd (IF, OF COURSE, THAT WAS POSSIBLE).

All these ARRSERS going back to witness some of the bloodiest battles in history. I reckon we would need to set up a councelling thread after you all returned.
However I'd like to witness the battle at Culloden.
I'd definately want to be in Dealy Plaza 22 November '63.
NASA mission control 20 July '69.
See the Pyramids, Stonehenge and Machu Pichu being built.
Walk with dinosaurs (not the dangerous one obviously)
And go back to Berlin 9th November 1989...and take more photos!

The English Civil War of 2021.

Well, nobody said it had to be back in time.

ches

LE
I'd got back to Senny some time in March (IIRC) 87 or 88 & take a tape measure so i can actually measure the biggest crap I've ever curled out. No phones then & no cameras carried on poxy cold exercises so no way of recording the epicness of the thing. I still wonder how longer it took to break down, i was in a hurry & never shovelled it under.

Yokel

LE
My list includes:

The Sermon on the Mount
The signing of the Magna Carta
The Battle of Trafalgar
Faraday's invention of the transformer and the electrical motor
Marconi's historic transmission from Newfoundland to Cornwall
The Battle of Jutland
Early RN carrier experiments during WW1
The first use of radio to carry voice or music
The first development of radar
Frank Whittle trying to get the politicians to take an interest in jet propulsion
The Battle of the River Plate
The Battle of Britain
Cracking the Enigma codes
The two convoy battles in May 1943 that caused the Germans to stop sending U boat Wolfpacks into the Atlantic
The Normandy landings and the naval bombardment that softened up the enemy
VE celebrations
The coronation of HM Queen Elizabeth the second
Any of Eric Brown's firsts
Any of the Mercury, Gemini, or Apollo space missions - from mission control
The Falklands War - in the naval task group
The fall of the Berlin Wall

Personally I would like to go back to the day I got hit by a car and make sure I stayed in that day.
I would also like to go back just a few years and find the arsehole who spread rumours about me and stop them from being told as facts. I would also kick myself to stop self sabotaging.

Then there are multiple opportunities I was too dumb to recognise, trusting people to do the right thing......

'If only' - the two saddest words in the English language.

Latest Threads