If you had a choice, what Russian equipment would you use?

jmb3296

Old-Salt
Can you give us the link for the particular one you ordered?
This should be the link to the shop site page with the suits

They were good to deal with and communications were in English. But I didn’t pay extra for express delivery and it was slow.
No complaints at all about product, quality or price though.

Did they sign you up for the Viet Cong,as well?
Nope made it into a sweet deer rifle swapping out the 10 rd mag for a 5rd. Used the spike bayonet as a monopod for shooting prone

The whole "corrosive ammo" thing seems to be a transatlantic phobia. Of course it shouldn't make a difference what the ammo is like, so long as the firearm is cleaned after firing as a matter of routine anyway.

Here in Britain at least, the legacy of past wars seems to be that its always been a common habit - civil or military - to clean any weapon after firing any ammo and, for those bearing a small arm on military service, to pull it through daily. Interestingly, weapon cleaning seems to have been one military institutional behaviour accepted without question by all those civilian soldiers in WW1/2.

Maybe other non Commonwealth nations have different weapon maintenance cultures.

I've got quite a large quantity of x39 and x54R ammo, some in the old 2x sardine cans per crate. Whilst its all shootable, only a small proportion is good quality (ie the heavy 54R, preferably Hungarian or Yugo) and there are so few variations on headstamp and tip/primer colour between the dozens of communist/client factories that its hard to distinguish what is what.
I was always under the impression that if you didn't clean your rifle before putting it away you were a lazy bastard and deserved to have it rust on you. It's just that if you use ammunition with corrosive primers you need to be a bit more diligent about cleaning it carefully and thoroughly, or at least be less of a lazy bastard. There's loads of 100 year old rifles that are in good shape after a lifetime of corrosive ammunition.

I have recently become aware of a sort of sub-culture of Americans who like to boast that they never clean their rifles. They seem to be the ones who have a phobia about corrosive primers, but then again they never clean their rifles. I suspect that they also tend to live in parts of the US with warm arid climates, and so don't have to worry much about moisture getting into caked on fouling and causing corrosion that way. They seem to be trying to prove a point about how their AR rifles are just as reliable as an AK (that's not an argument that I want to get into), rather than not cleaning their rifles for any practical reason (other than being lazy bastards). It's not a mind set that I can really relate to.

I was always under the impression that if you didn't clean your rifle before putting it away you were a lazy bastard and deserved to have it rust on you. It's just that if you use ammunition with corrosive primers you need to be a bit more diligent about cleaning it carefully and thoroughly, or at least be less of a lazy bastard. There's loads of 100 year old rifles that are in good shape after a lifetime of corrosive ammunition.

I have recently become aware of a sort of sub-culture of Americans who like to boast that they never clean their rifles. They seem to be the ones who have a phobia about corrosive primers, but then again they never clean their rifles. I suspect that they also tend to live in parts of the US with warm arid climates, and so don't have to worry much about moisture getting into caked on fouling and causing corrosion that way. They seem to be trying to prove a point about how their AR rifles are just as reliable as an AK (that's not an argument that I want to get into), rather than not cleaning their rifles for any practical reason (other than being lazy bastards). It's not a mind set that I can really relate to.
Years ago I was told by the now ex wife to lend her brother a rifle so he could go hunting with his buddies and to give him some ammunition too. He got the cheapest one I had, a $60 91/30 Mosin Nagant that I'd got from SOG as part of a package deal.
When I finally got it back over a year later the barrel looked like it had fur down it. Cleaned it as the lazy bastard hadn't despite being given instructions to run water and windex down it to neutralise the primer effects. The bore was pitted to hell.

Thank God it wasn't the PEM Sniper they wanted him to use.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Probably bankruptcy at the way they are going. Just like what happened in 1990.
which is rather odd when the state owned everything and had no debt, must be why the CIA borrowed 400bn to ruin their economy

The AK sights are truly unpleasant.
IDF SEALS were equipped with AKs for many years because of how well they stood up to exposure to sea water. If you ever happened to catch a sight of one you noticed the unusually highly burnished (almost silvery) AK slung over his shoulder. I assumed the burnishing was due to the constant need to clean off any signs of seawater induced corrosion.
I found some pics and screen shots of said silvery AKs:
שייטת-13.jpg
15318529400493_b.jpg
aa.png
ab.png

screenshots are from this clip that's supposed to be aout Mossad but shows footage of IDF SEALS

tal_5644.jpg

Nope made it into a sweet deer rifle swapping out the 10 rd mag for a 5rd. Used the spike bayonet as a monopod for shooting prone
They are a cracking little rifle. Great for woodland or scrub where all your shots are close in and well within the capabilities of the round. Reliable and built like a brick ****house. Sights aren't great, but most blokes slap a low power telescopic on. Do any good with her ?

I don't get that attitude either. You don't gralloch a deer and NOT clean the knife afterwards, or any tool you paid good money for. Cleaning a weapon after use and prepping it before use s/be second nature.
No matter how benign your surroundings are, dust and dirt and oil accumulate, together with combustion by products and it will affect the reliability of the weapon eventually. Probably just when that wild boar is heading towards you determined to violently relieve you of your testicles.

As a retention measure, I'd have one of these issued to everyone in the UK military who wanted one.

1595850127134.png

Out of my good nature, I'd happily home any unwanted waifs & strays, I'm nice like that.

As a retention measure, I'd have one of these issued to everyone in the UK military who wanted one.

View attachment 492740

Out of my good nature, I'd happily home any unwanted waifs & strays, I'm nice like that.
I'm not good at reading Russian. Does the label say "Do not open until Christmas"?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
well, this seems a natural place for this short advertorial for all things Kalashnikov:

( Vice News is the outfit that described this website as ' The uber-racist Army Rumour Service' )

"Weapons of peace" that's nice. Goes well with the followers of the "religion of piece",who tend to use a lot of them...
...including our supplying various groups of interest with ex East German and captured by Israelis great.