If you had a choice, what Russian equipment would you use?

I would take that entry with a big dose of salt.

If the plasma cloud is impenetrable to RF then how can it exchange information?

ETA: more importantly how can it find a target with radar - and IR sensors would be useless too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
New fuel eh Comrade?
Boris, get the glasses out, the big ones.

Agreed generally and re. your last point in particular: there are some important areas where we have no, or limited, capability. Not even high tech/big bucks stuff - the 60mm mortar for example. No ability to build a British successor to Challenger 2 - all sold to us on the basis (heard since the 60s) that we won't need this stuff.
There are a few projects ongoing tmk. CR3 would put us back in the game. A decent AD system or two for ground forces and upgrading/buying new artillery (M109A7 etc.) would help imo.
The mighty fallen.
Down maybe, but far from out imho :)

triggerigger

War Hero
RPG would have been handy for the lads in the Falklands? ,
I assume as a never served civvie. ( well air force)

There are a few projects ongoing tmk. CR3 would put us back in the game. A decent AD system or two for ground forces and upgrading/buying new artillery (M109A7 etc.) would help imo.

Is there a CR3 programne? (or at least the start)?
That would be excellent news.

Edit - I was assuming not cos of the loss of Vickers and of workers/skills/tooling, etc.

Last edited:

On that subject, could I suggest a bulk buy of the 155mm export version of the 2S19?
Even better, see if they’ll sell us the Koalitsiya and solve some RA manning problems.

I had a cracking pair of Russian bins before SWMBO stuck them in the shed with the leaky roof. Thats when you discover that cases are not to be left open. No problems with their quality optics, or their firearms. in days of yore, I used an SKS on pig hunts in NZ in the bush, where their 7.62x39 was heap good medicine. Mind you, the ranges were under 50m and the buggers could cover that in the twinkling of an eye, generally towards you. Very useful that 2nd or 3rd follow on.
I had a go at three SKS models in the USA; the standard Russian one,aChinese one and a sporterised one with a plastic stock and scope. they were all great fun to fire, cheap to buy (apart from the Americanised one) and keep and the Texans loved them.

Pretty much anything I needed to rely on as simple, rugged and reliable.

TamH70

MIA
I had a go at three SKS models in the USA; the standard Russian one,aChinese one and a sporterised one with a plastic stock and scope. they were all great fun to fire, cheap to buy (apart from the Americanised one) and keep and the Texans loved them.
Was the Chinese model the one that could take the AK's thirty-round magazine?

In darkest Siberia when toiling for an expat mining firm we noticed that there were many good looking women in Magadan -- our theory was if Stalin and his successors wanted rid of you you were sent there and only the best looking survived as they depend on the kindness of others. The Road north was over 600km and as Mila my interpreter advised the whole length was done with nyet maschina , but by pick and shovel only by heroic labourers of the CCCCP. Hence our theory of only the best looking survived to breed anew.
And probably all those German POW's giving those survivors a good seeing to.

Thinking about the thread, years ago we inherited ( in a land deal) a Belarus sov era tractor with a concrete mixer on the back.
lots of the castings looked crude by Massey F standards but it’s gearbox and hydraulic system was about 15 years ahead of what you could get on med side tractors here. Very sophisticated.
Oh and it allways, and I mean allways started first flick of the key.
There's a farmer who's daughter runs a You Tube vlog about life on the farm. The guy is something of a tractor buff and couldn't praise his veteran Belarus tractor highly enough.

Last edited:
Jeff Kirkham, Yank SF, carried an Ak throughout his service, preferred it M4.
The AK sights are truly unpleasant.
IDF SEALS were equipped with AKs for many years because of how well they stood up to exposure to sea water. If you ever happened to catch a sight of one you noticed the unusually highly burnished (almost silvery) AK slung over his shoulder. I assumed the burnishing was due to the constant need to clean off any signs of seawater induced corrosion.

Last edited:
Is there a CR3 programne? (or at least the start)?
That would be excellent news.

Edit - I was assuming not cos of the loss of Vickers and of workers/skills/tooling, etc.
More the Rheinmettal LEP to CR2. New turret, 120mm smoothbore, optics. Just needs APS.

Latest Threads