If you had a choice, what Russian equipment would you use?

TamH70

MIA
Oh, this is an easy one.

VSS-M "Vintorez" with full operational briefcase containing all teh goodiez. ASM "VAL", ditto.

Because **** you and your body armour both, buddy.

For clarity:

The VSS-M for twatting people at range and the higher magazine capacity ASM for when things get up close and ugly.

As the "M" designator signifies, they're modified versions of reallly decent kit that's combat-proven in ugly locales like Grozny, Damascus and Ramallah.

This is what makes them special:

Hello all,
Russian equipment has always tended to be on the rugged side of things. If you had to use their kit,what would you use instead of Western kit?
Their nuclear power stations from the 80's, but only in Australia.

Y'know...just in case.

4(T)

LE
Their nuclear power stations from the 80's, but only in Australia.

Y'know...just in case.

Reminds me of the 1990s anecdote about a British minister (Sir Malcolm Rifkind?) being taken to see Russia's facility for dismantling submarine reactors and nuke warheads.

Apparently he asks if its really necessary to walk along dirt tracks through acres of back-street scrap yards to get to the facility.

The reply: "this is the facility...".

Jeff Kirkham, Yank SF, carried an Ak throughout his service, preferred it M4.

Attachments

A big budget item here, and still in the 'ironing out issues' stage, but reportedly in service. The reported performance is very impressive:

'The missile's range is estimated to be 135 to 270 nautical miles (155 to 311 mi; 250 to 500 km) at low level, and up to 400 nmi (460 mi; 740 km) in a semi-ballistic trajectory;[20] average range is around 400–450 km (250–280 mi; 220–240 nmi).[21] According to Russian media, the longest possible range is 540 nmi (620 mi; 1,000 km) and for this purpose a new fuel was created.[22][23][24]

Zircon can travel at a speed of Mach 8–Mach 9 (6,090–6,851 mph; 9,800–11,025 km/h; 2,722.3–3,062.6 m/s). Such high speeds would likely create a cloud of plasma around the missile, absorbing any radio waves and making the missile virtually invisible to radars (plasma stealth).[25] This has led to concerns that it could penetrate existing naval defense systems.[26] Zircon exchanges information in flight and can be controlled by commands if necessary.[27]

Zircon will be first deployed with the Kirov-class battlecruisers Admiral Nakhimov and Pyotr Velikiy after 2020. The ships will have their P-700 Granit anti-ship missiles replaced with the 3S-14 universal VLS cells capable of carrying the Oniks, Kalibr and Zircon anti-ship cruise missiles; each vessel is to be equipped with 72 such missiles.[28] After completion of their refit, the ships could carry 40–80 anti-ship cruise missiles of different types.[29] Other platforms are likely to include Russian Navy's Admiral Grigorovich class and Admiral Gorshkov class frigates,[30][25] as well as Gremyashchiy class, Buyan class and Karakurt class corvettes, mainly due to the installation of the compatible 3S-14 vertical launchers.'

I don't know enough about Naval air defence to judge whether, as some people have stated, the current or near-future generation of SAM, etc can deal with this weapon (or with a number thereof).

Russia is investing heavily in SSM, ASM and ground - based air defence. It's very expensive stuff so one wonders what they have in mind.

Mufulira

War Hero
Their women

Close the thread
In darkest Siberia when toiling for an expat mining firm we noticed that there were many good looking women in Magadan -- our theory was if Stalin and his successors wanted rid of you you were sent there and only the best looking survived as they depend on the kindness of others. The Road north was over 600km and as Mila my interpreter advised the whole length was done with nyet maschina , but by pick and shovel only by heroic labourers of the CCCCP. Hence our theory of only the best looking survived to breed anew.

AK-47, PK machine gun, Mi-24, Hind,Mi-8,Mi-17, Kamov helicopters, Antonov cargo aircraft, Russian field jacket, Ushanka hat, Zil,Kamaz and Ural trucks, those little Gaz tracked utility vehicles (they're like little Bren carriers with roofs),RPG-7, Il-76 aircraft, T-72, D30 field gun.

Zircon can travel at a speed of Mach 8–Mach 9 (6,090–6,851 mph; 9,800–11,025 km/h; 2,722.3–3,062.6 m/s). Such high speeds would likely create a cloud of plasma around the missile, absorbing any radio waves and making the missile virtually invisible to radars (plasma stealth).[25] This has led to concerns that it could penetrate existing naval defense systems.[26] Zircon exchanges information in flight and can be controlled by commands if necessary.[27]
I would take that entry with a big dose of salt.

If the plasma cloud is impenetrable to RF then how can it exchange information?

ETA: more importantly how can it find a target with radar - and IR sensors would be useless too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

....absorbing any radio waves and making the missile virtually invisible to radars (plasma stealth).[25] This has led to concerns that it could penetrate existing naval defense systems.[26] Zircon exchanges information in flight and can be controlled by commands if necessary.[27]
That’s interesting. ‘absorbing radio waves’ yet ‘controlled by commands’? At Mach 8-9?

I had a cracking pair of Russian bins before SWMBO stuck them in the shed with the leaky roof. Thats when you discover that cases are not to be left open. No problems with their quality optics, or their firearms. in days of yore, I used an SKS on pig hunts in NZ in the bush, where their 7.62x39 was heap good medicine. Mind you, the ranges were under 50m and the buggers could cover that in the twinkling of an eye, generally towards you. Very useful that 2nd or 3rd follow on.

I would take that entry with a big dose of salt.

If the plasma cloud is impenetrable to RF then how can it exchange information?

ETA: more importantly how can it find a target with radar - and IR sensors would be useless too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the information - Wiki is a source to be treated with caution, so the point you make seems a good one.

That’s interesting. ‘absorbing radio waves’ yet ‘controlled by commands’? At Mach 8-9?
Scalers! Long time no see - SCW front seems quiet in relative terms.
Fair point and happy to defer to technical chaps like yourself.
I assume the general point stands about levels of Ru investment in SSM, SAM, ASM, etc?

Scalers! Long time no see - SCW front seems quiet in relative terms.
:) Still ongoing, but C-19 takes most of the headlines
Fair point and happy to defer to technical chaps like yourself.
Wiki is quoting Russian language sources, such as below which say:
If you believe the reports that have appeared, Russia has achieved serious success in developing a new type of weapon - hypersonic. In recent successful tests, the Zircon rocket exceeded the speed of sound by 8 times, and this means that Russian cruisers will receive fundamentally new opportunities to combat American aircraft carriers.
I assume the general point stands about levels of Ru investment in SSM, SAM, ASM, etc?
They are investing a lot of money in some seemingly capable kit. The actual kit doing what it’s supposed to do could be a different matter. Then again, I wish we spent more on defence full stop.

Isn't that because so often all the bells and whistles are Western kit? (QED?)

Rob Lee is good (if hyperactive) for immensely long kit-spotting threads:
Annnnnd,, I bet it can be fired off of the left shoulder. Oood'av funk'it :rolleyes:

:) Still ongoing, but C-19 takes most of the headlines

Wiki is quoting Russian language sources, such as below which say:
If you believe the reports that have appeared, Russia has achieved serious success in developing a new type of weapon - hypersonic. In recent successful tests, the Zircon rocket exceeded the speed of sound by 8 times, and this means that Russian cruisers will receive fundamentally new opportunities to combat American aircraft carriers.

They are investing a lot of money in some seemingly capable kit. The actual kit doing what it’s supposed to do could be a different matter. Then again, I wish we spent more on defence full stop.
Agreed generally and re. your last point in particular: there are some important areas where we have no, or limited, capability. Not even high tech/big bucks stuff - the 60mm mortar for example. No ability to build a British successor to Challenger 2 - all sold to us on the basis (heard since the 60s) that we won't need this stuff.
The mighty fallen.

Thinking about the thread, years ago we inherited ( in a land deal) a Belarus sov era tractor with a concrete mixer on the back.
lots of the castings looked crude by Massey F standards but it’s gearbox and hydraulic system was about 15 years ahead of what you could get on med side tractors here. Very sophisticated.
Oh and it allways, and I mean allways started first flick of the key.
Russian tankies used to complain about the gearboxes in lend lease US tanks.