If you had a choice, what Russian equipment would you use?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Actually, thinking about this, I've got a Sturmanskie watch which is very good. Got given it as a gift and it's superb - totally silent, and I'm told by someone in the know that it's as good as a Breitling but without the latter's price tag.

Swapping our long-range artillery (all of ours for all of theirs) with them would be good. Even if we only had enough troops to man one battery, at least they would then have less than us . . . .

Vladimir Putin (Soviet era) vibrating sex panties - remote controlled by an Android app. I'd put them on the missus and make her walk around Ikea and Asda etc - while being in control of the app, wait until she was at the tills paying for her stuff and pop the panties on to full power!

Like these:

Well either that or a Tank.

Last edited:

Bob65

War Hero
would be genuinely interesting to see how they perform against current military aircraft.
Well Turkey has both S400 and F35 so they can exercise them against each other and find out. That's the good news. The bad news is the results will likely be shared by both sides!

We have nothing comparable, do we need it? The Russians (and Turks) obviously think that they do, and the Americans have THAAD, the French/Italians have the land-based variant of Aster from the Type 45s, the Israelis have their own, etc. Maybe we ought to get on board with one of these programmes if near-peer shenanigans are on the horizon.

Last edited:
Hello all,
Russian equipment has always tended to be on the rugged side of things. If you had to use their kit,what would you use instead of Western kit?
Anything their SF use would be on par with western kit. I'd probably pick their version of the AK with all the bells and whistles attached. Not because it looks Gucci, but because where ever you are in the world you're bound to be able to find ammunition for it.

th (1).jpg

Where's @PhotEx ?

He'll wet himself over this thread!

Zhopa

War Hero
Anything their SF use would be on par with western kit. I'd probably pick their version of the AK with all the bells and whistles attached.
Isn't that because so often all the bells and whistles are Western kit? (QED?)

Rob Lee is good (if hyperactive) for immensely long kit-spotting threads:

Isn't that because so often all the bells and whistles are Western kit? (QED?)
Probably, why make it when you can by it!! Why spend millions on R&D when someone else has already done that. Then buy a licence and make it. Something our procurement people should consider. It appears to work well for Australia and New Zealand armed forces.

Reverse engineering has been a Russian/Soviet mantra for a long time. I haven't delved into who makes their kit though.

Dwarf

LE

Dwarf

LE
Not until you sort the twenty years of pocket money you still owe me, Dad!
Obviously didn't beat you enough.

OK, will sort out pocket money provided you do the 20 years of chores round the house you never did.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Morning @Cold_Collation,
Must be desirable, I've just looked at their site. All "out of stock".:)
My brother used to work for the company that imports them. I used to be able to get them for a song. A mate who's an ex-RAF pilot and now flies for BA got all green-eyed when he saw mine, so I got him one. All of his colleagues are more than jealous, apparently. Company was set up by an ex-Sukhoi test pilot.

Latest Threads