If you had a choice, what Russian equipment would you use?

Hello all,
Russian equipment has always tended to be on the rugged side of things. If you had to use their kit,what would you use instead of Western kit?

I'd have one of these to play with.

I think they're the same spec? The lady is fit too.

Mrsheeny

War Hero
Any of their equipment really, especially their high tech stuff, it would come in handy for knocking posts in and knocking tank tracks back on.

Zhopa

War Hero
If you had to use their kit,what would you use instead of Western kit?
One way or another I've had to wear, carry, work with or fly quite a lot of Russian stuff over the years. I've spent far too long this morning since seeing this post trying to think of anything I would actually prefer to Western equivalents* if they were an option. Not a lot so far...

Maybe unty for your feet if it is really that cold -

unty-zimnie-FW-7774-1-7.jpg

1593762238678.png

And, it sounds corny, but telnyashki - the heavyweight ones - really are as good as they say.

*cue Russian stock phrase attached to any military puff piece of "our equipment has no equivalent in the world!"

One way or another I've had to wear, carry, work with or fly quite a lot of Russian stuff over the years. I've spent far too long this morning since seeing this post trying to think of anything I would actually prefer to Western equivalents* if they were an option. Not a lot so far...

View attachment 486745

View attachment 486746

And, it sounds corny, but telnyashki - the heavyweight ones - really are as good as they say.

*cue Russian stock phrase attached to any military puff piece of "our equipment has n

View attachment 486745

View attachment 486746

Not so sure about the boots True dit coming.
years ago George Bowman ( the world class horse driving champion and mate of Phil the Greek) ,mer and got on well with a wild troop of Kasack / Cossack horsemen who were performing at Lowther Horse Trials.
They were based at his yard for a bit on their tour, and Invited George and Sons to visit the state setup they were based at in k Stan . They went in winter and having been briefed on the weather bought some very expensive cold weather kit.
In country at the “ ranch” it was bloody freezing ( minus god knows all day), and their feet were freezing. The little Tartar men were chipper though and all wandering about in identical boots. George thought they must be some Russian super boot.
the conversation went thus.
George ( pointing at own boots and shivering) ” boots artic !!!”
Small Tartar, ( pointing at own boots and smiling ) “ Africa”
George points at Tatar’s boots, “ Russiannn ?”
reply. “ Nyet, Rickabys”.

Rickabys was the farmers supply shop in Penrith.

Thinking about the thread, years ago we inherited ( in a land deal) a Belarus sov era tractor with a concrete mixer on the back.
lots of the castings looked crude by Massey F standards but it’s gearbox and hydraulic system was about 15 years ahead of what you could get on med side tractors here. Very sophisticated.
Oh and it allways, and I mean allways started first flick of the key.

Scunner

Old-Salt
The farm next door had an old Belarus tractor for years. Those f*ckers could and did destroy machinery on a daily basis due to being interbred f*ckwits, but they failed to destroy the Belarus. Got sold in the end when they ran out of money and downsized to clear the debts...

Belarus sov era tractor with a concrete mixer on the back.
Oh and it allways, and I mean allways started first flick of the key.

4(T)

LE
Their air defence systems.

They're pretty good at knocking down civil airliners (3+ in recent years?); would be genuinely interesting to see how they perform against current military aircraft.

+1 for Russian women. In fact have one downstairs making a full English breakfast right now.

Not sure what else Russian is first choice. Firearms are good, obviously, but not the best. Food and domestic production stuff is mostly 19th century; no real consumer tech.

Vehicles are utter gash. I loved my Niva as a fun runaround, but I bought it brand new from the factory and then had to replace every part multiple times to get a workable car. The trucks look good, especially the big military ones - but then there's probably a reason why the forests are full of vast fleets of derelict specimens...

Military tech looks good but, based on my experience of the Russian car industry, I'd be extremely sceptical about claimed performance and reliability data.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
They're pretty good at knocking down civil airliners (3+ in recent years?); would be genuinely interesting to see how they perform against current military aircraft.

+1 for Russian women. In fact have one downstairs making a full English breakfast right now.

Not sure what else Russian is first choice. Firearms are good, obviously, but not the best. Food and domestic production stuff is mostly 19th century; no real consumer tech.

Vehicles are utter gash. I loved my Niva as a fun runaround, but I bought it brand new from the factory and then had to replace every part multiple times to get a workable car. The trucks look good, especially the big military ones - but then there's probably a reason why the forests are full of vast fleets of derelict specimens...

Military tech looks good but, based on my experience of the Russian car industry, I'd be extremely sceptical about claimed performance and reliability data.
Russian AD capabilities are not to be taken lightly by any means. We certainly don't have anything to match.

Latest Threads