If you go down to the woods...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fairy_nuff, Nov 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Woodland Trust are asking people to clean their boots off before leaving a wood to help prevent the spread of the disease affecting the Ash Trees, just get the leaves off no need for disinfectant ect. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Yep will do. I usually dry the dog off on a towel as most of the parts of south Durham which have not been concreted over are still swamp-like.

3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I saw that they consider the spores are airborne now seeing as its hit the forest of dean as well. I gather it has a 90% mortality rate similar to yellow fever so does that mean what is left will be resistant and we get a better stock because of it?

are we still aloud to bury prostitutes in woodland or do they have to go in the recycle bin now? it would be a shame if a fine old tradition died out due to a bit of fungi.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Trees are untidy and make a mess. There are far too many messy trees.

And what about people with 4x4's? Should I wash the cars wheels between woods?

5. 4x4 drivers need to be responsible too.

Ash trees made part of the bows of the Archers at Agincourt. They make cricket wickets too I believe and other things too

6. HHH

HHH LE

If there is a shortage of Ash trees there will be less "punishment beatings" in NI as Hurley sticks are made from Ash !! :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

can the wood not still be used then?

I gather foresters use it mainly for fuel though, a carpenter friend of mine used some to build a yurt for a customer

8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

It burns really well, wet or dry.

9. Won't burn if the trees are wiped out

10. Tree hungers. The Forces have too much time on their hands, send them in to form a ring of steel around our forests. Shoot anyone who tries to enter or leave.

11. The Govt. "action plan" (after 3 years of inaction....) is now tracing and destroy newly planted trees and those in nurseries, imported or otherwise and taking steps to limit rate of spread.

Felling and burning mature infected ash trees has been ruled out.

Not now possible to eradicate the Chalara Fraxinea fungus, so long term all hope are placed on identifying a a genetic strain of Ash that is resistant and replant over time.

Action on Ash Tree Disease Chalara « Defra News

12. I may pop out and fell an ash tree to prevent it suffering with this terrible disease.

13. Why do you want to shoot the trees?

14. And there was me clicking on the thread thinking "Oh, a cheerful, witty thread about bear molestation."

Until I saw it was in the 'serious' section and about green stuff.

Serious head on: Looking quite dire for the Ash tree it seems. They make up a shit load of the UK's tree population apparently. Not having much in the way of green, leafy bits round my area, its not had a huge effect round here yet.

15. im just buying a wood burning stove so is this ash disease good or bad for me ?