If You Don't Want To Pay Uni Tuition Fees

Agreed and the fookking english are funding them - give them independence and watch their AAA credit rating going down the shitter......

Wasn't there a court case going on about this, being the English that were being discriminated against ??

K

Kirkz

A Scottish government spokesman has confirmed that sixth form pupils in the UK who hold Irish passports qualify for free university tuition in Scotland.
Fees are rising to a maximum of £9000 across the UK but in Scotland, pupils who have lived there for at least three years do not have to pay fees.
This is also the case for EU students, as EU law does not allow discrimination against those from other member states.
Well surely if EU law does not allow discrimination against those from other member states, then that should include the English and welsh as well? Or am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Well surely if EU law does not allow discrimination against those from other member states, then that should include the English and welsh as well? Or am I missing something blindingly obvious?
The English and Welsh are in the same Member State of the EU as Scotland. The EU will allow you to discriminate within a member state, but not between them.

Simple answer, find an Irish grandparent in your heritage and get dual nationality. I would imagine that it would work equally as well if you had Ffrench/Boxhead/Cloggie etc heritage/passport too.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Ah its not as good as it used to be. Student grants, free tuition and signing on during hols. It used to be hell.
But if it was me going to uni these days I'd sign for an irish passport. Throw in a grant I'd sign up for a martian one if it helped.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Does this mean that Scotland is recognising that they are part of one country/member state in relation to the EU and that the English can not claim separate membership for the purposes of Education funding?

Gosh how are they going to square away the problem when they get Independence that they are in fact the same country/member state as England and now they are not. Thus they need to apply to the EU to join afresh. That could be tricky.

Of course the reverse would then be applied and Scots applying to UK Universities paying full international rates once independence comes about. That could be costly.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm sure carrots will be along in a minute to point out that this is a result of an agreement between European Nations to fund their own students whilst at foreign universities, eg a German Student who came to Scotland, would have his Scottish fees paid by his own govt., whilst a Portugueuse would have her French fees paid if she studied at the Sorbonne for example.

The fact that England decided not to join this mutual agreement results in English Students having to pay their own fees where ever they go. So English decision = Other peoples' fault. According to your logic anyway.

Who cares about facts eh?

Hasn't this been covered before and it's because the Scottish education authorities signed up to some agreement or other which the English authorities don't so English students have to pay whereas other EU students don't?

Edit - apparently yes! Rampant posted while I was answering the door to my pizza delivery!

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
OOoo what type?

Wasn't there a court case going on about this, being the English that were being discriminated against ??
Phil Shiner was promising to raise one. You can judge from very his presence how watertight his case was.

It's pretty simple. There's nothing discriminatory about denying the benefits of club membership to someone who steadfastly refuses to join the club. Sign the deal, get the joys. Simples.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hummm. Partial to anchovies on mine though.

Its a lot of hassle to get a bit of bog paper printed up with a worthless media studies "degree". Why not cut out the middleman and go straight to the shelf-stacking agency?

Does this mean that Scotland is recognising that they are part of one country/member state in relation to the EU and that the English can not claim separate membership for the purposes of Education funding?
Nope, it's about exploiting a loophole created by the Irish government's habit of issuing passports to everyone on the Emerald Isle. If anyone suffers from insomnia, a potted summary is on the UKCISA site.

CATEGORY 3:
European Union (EU) nationals, and family members

In order to qualify for ‘home’ fees under this category, you must meet all of the following criteria:(a) you must either be:

1. a national of an EU country [see Box 3] but not a UK national, or the 'relevant family member' [see Box 7] of either, on the 'relevant date' [see Box 11]; or
  2. a UK national who has exercised a right of residence as a worker or self-sufficient person or student in another EEA member state, or Switzerland, or the 'relevant family member' [see Box 7] of either, on the 'relevant date' [see Box 11];
AND(b) you, or the person that you are a relevant family member of, must have been ordinarily resident [see Box 2] in the European Economic Area (EEA) [see Box 5], Switzerland and/or the EU overseas territories for the three years before the 'relevant date' [see Box 11];AND(c) the main purpose of your residence in the EEA/Switzerland and/or EU overseas territories must not have been to receive full-time education during any part of the three-year period.NOTES:

• You do not have to meet (b) and (c) above if you are the family member of an EU national and that EU national, his or herself, has three years' ordinary residence in the EEA, Switzerland and/or the EU overseas territories
  • If you become, or if a 'relevant family member' [see Box 7] becomes, an EU national or the national of an EU overseas territory after the start of your course, you can become entitled to 'home' fees from the start of the following academic year as long as you have already satisfied the residence conditions in (b) and (c) above, that is, at the start of the first year of your course (see the next note too).
  • For the purposes of the residence conditions, any country that joins the EU is considered always to have been part of the EEA.
There's also a get-out clause for RUK in that any member of an EU nation (including Brits) who's exercised the right of residence in another EU nation can qualify for the Home rate of fees and entitlement to funding. It has to be genuine residence, so ******* about in Ibiza for a gap year doesn't count. Basically, it's a variation on a theme of the regulations whereby a non-EU national can qualify, and believe you me we've got very good over the years at spotting chancers.

B

Biscuits_AB

Of course the reverse would then be applied and Scots applying to UK Universities paying full international rates once independence comes about.
Why would a Scottish student want to do that, when they can get free education at home? You haven't thought this out have you?

Latest Threads