If You Don't Want To Pay Uni Tuition Fees

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, May 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. Nothing like all having equal access to higher education across the entire UK is their?
  3. Agreed and the fookking english are funding them - give them independence and watch their AAA credit rating going down the shitter......
  4. Wasn't there a court case going on about this, being the English that were being discriminated against ??
  5. Well surely if EU law does not allow discrimination against those from other member states, then that should include the English and welsh as well? Or am I missing something blindingly obvious?
  6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

The English and Welsh are in the same Member State of the EU as Scotland. The EU will allow you to discriminate within a member state, but not between them.

Simple answer, find an Irish grandparent in your heritage and get dual nationality. I would imagine that it would work equally as well if you had Ffrench/Boxhead/Cloggie etc heritage/passport too.
  7. Thanks Mr Fingerz :)
  8. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Ah its not as good as it used to be. Student grants, free tuition and signing on during hols. It used to be hell.
    But if it was me going to uni these days I'd sign for an irish passport. Throw in a grant I'd sign up for a martian one if it helped.
  9. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Does this mean that Scotland is recognising that they are part of one country/member state in relation to the EU and that the English can not claim separate membership for the purposes of Education funding?

Gosh how are they going to square away the problem when they get Independence that they are in fact the same country/member state as England and now they are not. Thus they need to apply to the EU to join afresh. That could be tricky.

Of course the reverse would then be applied and Scots applying to UK Universities paying full international rates once independence comes about. That could be costly.
  10. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm sure carrots will be along in a minute to point out that this is a result of an agreement between European Nations to fund their own students whilst at foreign universities, eg a German Student who came to Scotland, would have his Scottish fees paid by his own govt., whilst a Portugueuse would have her French fees paid if she studied at the Sorbonne for example.

The fact that England decided not to join this mutual agreement results in English Students having to pay their own fees where ever they go. So English decision = Other peoples' fault. According to your logic anyway.

Who cares about facts eh?
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Hasn't this been covered before and it's because the Scottish education authorities signed up to some agreement or other which the English authorities don't so English students have to pay whereas other EU students don't?

Edit - apparently yes! Rampant posted while I was answering the door to my pizza delivery!
  12. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

OOoo what type?
  13. Phil Shiner was promising to raise one. You can judge from very his presence how watertight his case was.

It's pretty simple. There's nothing discriminatory about denying the benefits of club membership to someone who steadfastly refuses to join the club. Sign the deal, get the joys. Simples.
  14. Chicken, ham and mushroom. Deep pan.
  15. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

Hummm. Partial to anchovies on mine though.