If you could re-settle all over again...

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by LAIT, Oct 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Edited.
  2. Unfortunately LAIT, the old and bold won't look in here because they know it all and have no need for education ;-)

Try posting. In the old and bold forum
  3. Wouldn't suggest jumping ship based on the economy's perceived pickup. There's an awful lot of people who are extremely clever with numbers claiming that it'll be best part of 5-6 years before we're anywhere near comfort levels.
  4. i'm old and bold and i wished i'd listened more to my mate who had left and was telling me what to do in those 2 years, spank the courses and try and do some army ones that you'd normally avoid. PAT testing for all the electrical appliances, unit health and safety the sound rubbish but people out there take notice of these plus they don't eat into resettlement time/money. definitly try and use the yearly ed credit it was called SLC before i left in 05 i sadly laughed at guys using this every year for OU and sparky courses silly me! It seems you're doing your research with sites and CV etc so go for it and if you feel a bit guilty about thinking about yourself in the next 2 years, don't!!! good luck fella.
  5. Surely any man who has served is ideally suited as a male prostitute, after all the years of being shafted it should be a seamless transition.
  6. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I would most certainly stay away from clapped out ex-Army lorries in the FI, havn't been walking very good ever since
  7. Hi LAIT ( again! )

Pleased to hear you got an offer within 3 months of registering with The List, good drills. I am still looking for a job, but FWIW...

What I did well while preparing to leave

- Spent absolutely stacks of time on LinkedIn setting up as many meetings with contacts as possible. Be bold, be positive and be shameless. Guys from Sandhurst, family friends, some bloke you met at a barbeque, someone you've never met who works in the field you're looking at... get in touch and ask for 1/2 hour of their time. Email is ok, a phone call is better, a pint or coffee is best by far. I have been genuinely suprised and delighted by the generosity of others who have offered advice, leads, CV tips etc.

- Stashed as much cash as possible and cut down as many expenses as possible so that I had a strong fighting fund. Things may work out well, alternatively you may spend 9 months looking - you're stepping into the unknown. Don't be arrogant! Active job hunting is relatively expensive - meeting people, attending industry conferences, buying books to read up but better than the cheap, reactive approach of checking job boards and doing everything online.

- Attended the AMAC course at Manchester Business School - its a three week introduction to business held twice a year. Expensive if you're paying for it, free if you use ELCs and your resettlement cash.

- Approached the Officers Association early

What I should have done better

- Started even earlier, and stashed more cash!

I'm still looking, but I don't regret a thing. Better, I think, for me to be looking now than in a year's time when a whole lot more ex-officers are chasing the same roles, i.e. employers who are either related to what you do now, or are sufficiently forces-friendly to carry the skills gap while you adapt, rather than taking a civvy with direct experience of their industry.

2 years is a good run up - make the most of it. You'd be suprised how ill prepared some are, even quite senior officers with a vague idea that they'll earn shed loads as some kind of NED, leadership trainer or consultant... Not so!

Good luck

8. Oh, and on the CV front I am no expert on job-searching but would counsel very strongly against having anyone else doing your CV. The process is as important as the product, its an essential catalyst for you to think about what kind of work you want, what your *personal* skills are and what you can offer an employer. Bear in mind that your true skills / job suitability are not necessarily those the Army requires of you now, or tells you that you must have. If you plan on the basis that your personality and skills are very close to those the Army dictate, then you'll end up in a civilian role very similar to the one you have now!

9. If you do take the plunge, then ensure that everything is done to suit you! Once you sign off you will see a marked difference in attitudes toward you as someone who is leaving. Nothing personal or detrimental, it's just how it is. So from that perspective, make sure that any resettlement courses offered are exactly what you require to get you a job in 5 Div. I always regretted leaving because i didn't do enough research, and didn't get the right resettlement course to gain me a decent post in civvy street. All of which was my fault, but to be fair, i didn't have all this tinternet either, which would have been a real godsend. Especially in finding work suitable to match your own skill set. Remember too that many of the jobs in civ div that you apply for will vary from the one you do now, even though the title may be similar or in some cases the same. And you should account for that in your CV. Of utmost importance is that you know and understand clearly, the systems for claiming benefits, even if you don't intend to claim them! To those of us who left, and had no idea of the bullshit involved in getting any benefits you may be entitled to, the system was and still is a nightmare. A quick scan on the .gov sites could save you much heartache, if you are unfortunate enough to have to claim them at some time in the future. This will clarify what to do and more importantly, what not to do, so as to avoid getting yourself in the shit with the authorities. Basically, the 7 Ps should be your guideline!!

Good luck fella!
  10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

While I've been pretty lucky in my field, you could do a lot worse than look at traditional trades, plumbing, electrician, builder. There seems to be consistent requirements for these skills. I know personally trying to find a decent plumber and electrician has been a real problem for me.
  11. Ord, nail on head. I'm going to do plumbing and electrics for my resettlement, I might do a bit of sign language and dry stone walling as well, but that's a different topic. I'll probably end up sat in an RHQ in Catterick somewhere being abusive to squaddies and typing Part Ones for half a day 5 days a week but hey - it will pay my mortgage.

I started my Resettlement the Christmas before last, did my CTW then some daft sod offered me VEng and I (another daft sod) took it, so I've got to start all again in a few months. Lucky me.

I really don't want to do the CTW again though. Bunch of old blokes (both the so-called instructors and others on the course) telling war stories and just trying to "network" and out-do each other. Not my cup of tea. If I wanted to write down on a piece of A3 paper 10 good or bad things about myself, blu-tac it to a wall and "discuss" it, I'd go back to playschool. Hey, that's just my opinion though.
  12. CTW? Load of old tosh. Having to write out a sample CV and then handing it to some fuckwit sapper sat next to me to see if he thought it was any good? Having to listen to people talk about civvy street, who hadn't actually been there. Filling in a form and being told that I was qualified enough to consider a career in ******* train driving? CTW...don't waste your time unless shit kicking around your Mess or MQ has lost its appeal.

Have a plan (don't show it to the CTW people), pursue it doggedly and be prepared for the long run if it's something you really want to do.
  13. The only reason I want to do plumbing is so I can come and fix your washing machine. Chick-a-bow-wow.

Did you do yours up here as well? Absolute pile of toilet. Do you know how much those old men get paid to ask you what sort of media you should be reading to find a job and make you draw pretty pictures? I think I told you (many moons ago) how much I enjoyed it. Complete rubbish, but it might be helpful to some people. Just not me.
  14. Did mine in Germany. Most of us worked out on day one that we were wasting our time. I went back on day two just in case they'd been having a bad day on day one. They hadn't. I didn't go back on day 3. One thing I did notice was the amount of lads who appeared to be in a state of shock. The reality of leaving the mob had hit them quite badly. I had my own plan and CTW was of no use to me, although I had hoped that it would be. Of all the ex that I've met, all have said much the same. For me though, my original plan sort of fell by the wayside and I found myself doing something else after I left (although it is related to the original idea so I'm still on track). I'm not quite where I want to be at this time, I've a bit to go but there's now light at the end of the tunnel and I'm very happy, so can't whine. All the best to anyone taking the plunge at this time.
  15. I'm trying to get something off the ground to help everyone in this very situation. Why take advice on making the transition to Civvy Street from people who haven't gone through that transition themselves? From my experience and discussions with people in similar situations to you, have found that those offering advice via the CTW are still heavily reliant on the military system and even though have taken the uniform off, still haven't "got out".

There is just a ridiculous amount of experience and expertise out there that needs to be collated and shared with those leaving today. If only there was some way of doing it...........

Well have a look at this:

imgettingout Homepage
    (Yes, I seriously called it this)

I'm an ex soldier, and spent nearly six years delivering Civvy Quals to the British Army in UK, Germany and Gib as an employee in a civilian training company. I know what its like to go through that process and decided to do something about it.

If it helps or you have any ideas or feedback for me - message me at andrewpyle@imgettingout.com

Even if you think the idea is gash, I would still love your thoughts because I am committed to improving this situation for everyone leaving the Army.