If you could have been present at one battle in history.......

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by postman_twit, Apr 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Which one would it have been, and why? I asked this question of Max Arthur and it took him a couple of moments to come up with just the one.

Over to you.

P-T

2. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

The Somme 1916... just to weep at the waste and the idiocy of the top Brass.

Battle of Midway... to watch the evil little barstewards get slapped.

Some of Alexander The Great's fights... he was really just a kid, but a freaking genious.

(Please not lack of Battle of Bannockburn or Stirling Bridge... I do love the English(ish))

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dinosaurs vs climate change.

Actually having read an article on the BBC web site about the American Civil war I understand that they now believe the war dead has been estimated far too low, possibly by 22% (I think) so I'd like to go back to any battle where casual observers were relatively safe, and see how the reality checks against historical records/modern understanding.

4. Le Cateau 1914 or Mons

5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

El Alamein - with 51st Highland Div

• Like Like x 1
  6. Konnigratz 1866

Just to witness the sight of almost half a million troops on one battlefield in an area about 8 miles by 5 miles - the biggest battle in Europe prior to the Great War.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Either that or the Battle of Arcola in 1796, just to see if Napoleon really did slip on the canal bank, or if he was pushed in by his troops when they broke and ran.

Rodney2q

7. With Sean Flynn and Dana Stone on a scramble bike between firefights in Vietnam (cue Purple Haze and psychedelic crayon) ....

.... at least before they were double tapped by the Khmer Rouge anyway. Reality has a way of catching up with you. 'Scuse me while I kiss the sky, etc, etc.

8. Amateurs.

The very first battle (of course), so no one could call me a 'sprog'.

9. Not exactly battles but Pearl Harbour and Dresden or Hiroshima from the Enola Gay just to see a big 'un go off.

Those do seem quite ghoulish but from the air those must have been quite some spectacle.

10. Battle of Jubilee 2012, just to augment my rather pathetic "rack".

• Like Like x 5
  11. Berlin.....just to see the destruction of a major city.

12. Battle for Deville Wood Grandad fought there with the 1st of Foot.

Although Balaclava, where a Thin red Streak broke the Russian charge with a volley would be a close second.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jutland.

The noise and the spectacle. Big guns clashing on a scale never seen before and never to be seen again.
    I would dearly love to have seen HMS Agincourt firing off her 14 12inch guns...

• Like Like x 1
  14. I suppose pushing the button on Hiroshima and Nagasaki could be diverting.

15. What was Max's choice?