• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

If you could change just one thing about the TA

What would it be?

msr

Id get shot of

'The Bounty Hunters' - do the minimum, get their bounty and you never see them again unitl mandatory weekends come around. very unsociable types

'The Dead Wood' - marking time til kick out pension day, the ones with a note from Matron! overly sociable types

regularization, i would stop it before everybody leaves........

I'd speed up the basic training. 12 months is way too long to maintain peoples interest. Also six months plus for security clearance is taking the pi**!

Recruits get their numbers quicker, get all their kit first issue, remove three toed sloths that run the sotres as if it's their own kit.

Increase the limit on MTDs, Bin MATTs,
Equipment parity with the regs.....

And rest!

remf

Old-Salt
go back to at least two weekends a month and get rid of the people that only do the required days to get their bounty.

remf said:
go back to at least two weekends a month and get rid of the people that only do the required days to get their bounty.
That kind of screws over the people who can only do one weekend a month becuase of work commitments

Raise the max. age to 40+ so old farts like me could have one last go at playing soldier...
...I'll get me coat.

FFBox said:
Recruits get their numbers quicker, get all their kit first issue, remove three toed sloths that run the sotres as if it's their own kit.

Increase the limit on MTDs, Bin MATTs,
Equipment parity with the regs.....

And rest!
"Bin MATTS" what do you want next no uniform, don't get called up, more paid holidays?

Sounds to me that you need to realise the army bit of the TA

Werewolf ref your 40+ post. You can serve past 40 in certain trades
etc. Check it out. There are plenty of ex-22year pers who are now
TA. Good Luck

Make each TA Bn OPCON a regular Bn with the CO's OJAR filled in by both TA and Reg 1*s. [1]

That might mean engender some realistic attitudes to recruiting and retention on both sides of the fence.

[1] Not convinced the TA Bn would still require a CO, might become an alternative to a posting as a regular OC. A different challenge, but a challenge.

I would give a lot to see pensions introduced.

Cut away the Bounty Hunters and dead wood, introduce compulsory training periods, I can even live with the inept laws which fail to protect our employment.

But give pensions and stop pretending we are "casual labour"

Cardinal

Have a look at the way the Aussie reserves are organised and run - still nothing spectacular, but they look out for the diggers a little better and have a few less strapons.

As to the name.....British Army Reserve....BAR....sounds like some dodgy septic support weapon.