If training stopped for 6 months, would you come back?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Dry_Clean_Only, Oct 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bored with the TA Vs Regulars arguing over the mostly irrelevant content, so figured why not have another poll :-D

Since we've done the C1 training issue, MTD impact, I'd like to see what the impact will be if the news about training is real.

So, if all training were to cease at the end of this month (Oct 09) would you return at the start of new training year in Apr 10? Or would you say enough you (insert word of choice) politicians... and take up paint ball, helping old ladies cross the road or knitting?

Waiting to analyse the answers as ever,

2. ive given 10 years and 3 tours. i will do the same again if i'm not kicked out the doors in some future cutback.

i'm hoping i can persuade most of my unit that its worth their while coming back in 6 months. As most are looking to deploy i think most will return.
  3. If a) I wasn't old and b) if I was still in the TA then probably yes. Not only that I would certainly go in unpaid only if there was something truly worthwhile to do, or if I could help in organising something worth while.

But that's all hypothetical, the truth is fcuk knows.
  4. I must admit that if I was not on FTRS right now, and no other income, I'd be tempted to hang up my boots. Enough is enough.

I will not bite my tongue, next senior officer/politician I see.
  5. i'd go on parade nights for free for the next 6 months, i'll be back in 6 months and in the meantime i can work harder on my Phys, we TA soldiers and recruits have just got to take this on the chin and carry on.
  6. As per U_R, I would do it unpaid.
  7. I like to think that if I was still young then I would stay in the TA unpaid. But if I was young and had a job with overtime at the weekend, then I probably would not, because I would need the money. Some TA soldiers are unemployed, and they need the employment history to help them get another job, as well as the pay. If this report about suspending TA training is true, then it is a silly decision that beggars belief. I sincerely hope it is untrue.
  8. Me personally being un employed at the moment I'm going to have to get another part time job as the T.A. was currently giving me enough income to support myself, but with a 6 month cut of no wages I'm going to struggle. But I love it too much so no doubts I'll be back in 6 months!!!

One sub note may have been answered in other threads, is the OTC also being shut down for 6 months? Because I for one will be very very very pissed off the continue to get payed when all they do is get pissed every time they train and abuse the pay system (from what I have heard from people I know in the OTC anyway).
  9. The proposed plan is to cease all training for five months - a minor point but important nonetheless.
  10. Why is that a problem? Well it's not a problem for us, it's the governments/MOD/armies. It's them that's failed the convenant, army code of conduct etc.

How on earth they would expect loyalty after that, I don't know.

As for those intending to return in 6 months, I'd guess it's for friends/regiment/country. Not really a right of wrong answer to this poll, we occupy the moral high ground regardless.

Those that attend over the next 6 months for other reasons (those that don't really sit well with the code of conduct - honour, loyalty, respect for others etc), I'd guess would be the new SCAB (name applied to miners who broke the strike in the late 80's), or more aptly STAB.
  11. I'll be back in - too much force of habit after 6 years to not be. I could deliver a kick in the teeth to the politicians by not turning up, but that'd just be cutting off my nose to spite my face, and letting down my mates who do go back.

Unless, of course, that's what they want. If it is, I'll be back in after 6 months, just to spite the b*stards.

Ref. the OTC - I think I caught something on one of the other threads about OCdts and 2Lts not getting paid - assuming that the officers and WOs continue to be paid, this would essentially be the same situation as with TA units and PSIs/NRPS I would imagine?
  12. I'd like to carry on - however, I'm about to start TSC(A). If that's binned, I'll have to start from square one again getting everything organised (Probably need another medical too) and I suspect there will also be a backlog of people wanting to go on the course. All told, it'd be over 12 months from first rocking up at the gates of the TAC before even starting phase one training proper. Demoralising, much? (Having been here before, it only took 3 months last time) I'm also hoping that I won't simply get discharged for having been attested but not finished P1 training and have to go through all the selection stuff again, which would royally p*ss me off.
  13. Main building read this site... so to all those prepared to soldier on regardless with no pay... that might be what you're letting yourself in for.

In asnwer to the question, I'd probably come back - but it depends on what my life is doing in 5/6 months.

If unpaid work is here to stay - then I'll be de-kitting.
  14. Fair play to those who have already said they will do it for free. This is a sad situation that the TA is being forced into and I would like to think that once do-ya-think-he-saw-us the loch jaw monster is finally ousted we can finally get back on track.

This is also a good test of loyalty in that this could weed out those that simply do it for the money and have no interest is bettering themselves/ their unit/ TA. Lets sit back and watch the bounty hunters fall by the way side.
  15. The only things that will stop me handing my kit in is tha A) I want to do an Afganistan Tour and B) If I did leave my hearing is at a level where its not bad enough to stop me going on tour or staying in but its to bad to pass an enlistment medical so I could never rejoin

however I am giving it some serious thought to sacking it as I feel stabed in the back by the powers that be