If theres a most beautiful aircraft thread...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by P2000, May 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A simple premise: however beautiful aircraft are, warships are just prettier.

For example:

Beautiful, if sadly doomed to scrap.

And just beautiful:

Ships- amongst the most beautiful of man's creations. Nominate your favourite.
  2. Targets. Don't you just love them?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

In that case I vote for the MTBs & MGBs of WW2; the Spitfires of the Seas:my Grandfather won a DSM whilst serving on MGB 647 in the Mediterranean & Adriatic.

Check out the link below (it doesn't mention him) it tells the story about what these little vessels got up to: Piracy basically and Commando raiders. Absolutely fascinating.

Actually a Squadron of these little beauties off the coast of Somalia would soon sort out that piracy problem (Twin Bofors; 6-12 Oerlikons; Vickers/Brownings)

By the way if anyone can help me find out more with regard to the particular aforementioned vessel I would be most grateful, type& so forth. There is little on the internet

Edited to add: why won't this damned thing let me post pictures: arghhhhhh!
  4. My vote: HMAS Warramunga
  5. rampant

6. Hello P2000,

I like the cut of your jib.
    Never mind that bitza Vanguard,here is one of Her Majesty's finest,H.M.S.Nelson.
    I'll throw in a classic heavy cruiser too,H.M.S.Cornwall.
    Those were the days,when British ships actually looked like British ships.

M.G.B.647 was a Fairmile D class,details here:

There is a picture of the crew here:

Someone you might want to email can be found here:

Edited to add,attatchment upload is not working,I am getting the following error "GD image library not available",posted via links instead.
  7. Little boats and enough spirited (nutjobs?) men can get anything done ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rampant

Thank you tangosix. I owe you. Saw the smesh site, am trying to get in touch with them at the moment, they are doing a reunion on Vis, and my grandfather died 13 years ago, so I would like to chat to others about the stories he told me.

Excellent drills Old Boy, much obliged. If I can get the tech to work I'll stump up some stories about the old bugger.

Once again thank you.

Jesus! That's him front row, second from the right.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. HMS Agincourt nicked before delivery to Johny Turk in 1914. Nick named "A Gin Palace" due to her luxury fittings.

Armed 7 Twin 12" Gun turrets, named Monday to Sunday. Her Captain ordered full broadsides at Jutland as the result of the Navy reckoning she'd flip if they did. The first rounds downrange caused querries as to which battlecrusier had just blown up!
  10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

11. Haven't made up my mind about current trends:
    [​IMG] Stiletto
    [​IMG] Visby class.
    Very clean lines. Stealth is rather pleasing to the eye - but something is not quite right, somehow.
  12. Got to be MTBs and MGBs. They even make the E-boat look boring.
  13. "Like a Brock's Benefit" - from one of the accompanying battlecruisers.