• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

If there was a new Mil Hospital

If for arguments sake the Government of the time decided to allow a Military Hospital where would it be sited how big and what should it treat and should it be merged with Headley Court??

Also where would the staff come from? could you use TA and therefore NHS or would there have to be a massive recruitment to staff it.

Do you mean similar to RAF Halton and Wegberg of years gone by that were closed or reduced because they were "surplus to requirement"?

rimsey84 said:
Do you mean similar to RAF Halton and Wegberg of years gone by that were closed or reduced because they were "surplus to requirement"?
Yep maybe placed at Brize to limit travelling, fully staffed surely would save trauma and time to have something like that in place.

edited because typing was crap.

How about somewhere spacious and fairly central in North Yorkshire; build a complex there with its own runways and helipads and decent access to the A1. A comprehensive hospital would probably not be required, but it could be focussed on trauma, post-traumatic stress and long-term palliative care (where the rural setting would come into its own), in which it would unfortunately rapidly become a national centre of excellence. Manning could be done by a combination of RAMC for the medical side and an MOD-owned civilian agency with Defence in the title; best it's kept well away from the NHS, that way it might work. Paid for out of the defence budget but with 15% of annual costs contributed from the Treasury to allow use by other agencies.

Provided it doesn't become the Labour Party's private hospital, of course :roll:

How much would one cost is what you should be asking. I imagine it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility, the governments of today and tomorrow just don't want it.

Cost wise you would have to look at number of beds, operating theatres, accom for both staff, rehab patients and families of the wounded, Physio just for a few.

Kick off with 200 beds, 1 ICU maybe 20 beds, 2 operating theatres, 2 physio gyms one for in patients and 1 for rehab.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You are, I suspect looking at this from a patient pov, which is quite understandable but one of the issues relating to military hospitals was that military medical staff were not getting the right kind of medical experience working in them. Very little trauma etc. Another problem was that if all your clinical staff are committed to working in a hospital and somebody calls a war you don't have any clinicians to send to that war.

The MDHU's were supposed to correct these problems. Unfortunately for a number of complex reasons they don't.

I've seen/heard a number of suggestions as to how to deal with this but none of them square the circle. The system is broke but nobody knows how to fix it.

BuggerAll said:
You are, I suspect looking at this from a patient pov, which is quite understandable but one of the issues relating to military hospitals was that military medical staff were not getting the right kind of medical experience working in them. Very little trauma etc. Another problem was that if all your clinical staff are committed to working in a hospital and somebody calls a war you don't have any clinicians to send to that war.

The MDHU's were supposed to correct these problems. Unfortunately for a number of complex reasons they don't.

I've seen/heard a number of suggestions as to how to deal with this but none of them square the circle. The system is broke but nobody knows how to fix it.
Recruit, Retain and properly fund. The military will always have enough injured people to justify a military hospital.

Why not share it with the emergency services and called it a training centre too.

Millions of Jeffrey all under one roof.

Bravo_Zulu said:
How about somewhere spacious and fairly central in North Yorkshire; build a complex there with its own runways and helipads and decent access to the A1. A comprehensive hospital would probably not be required, but it could be focussed on trauma, post-traumatic stress and long-term palliative care (where the rural setting would come into its own), in which it would unfortunately rapidly become a national centre of excellence. Manning could be done by a combination of RAMC for the medical side and an MOD-owned civilian agency with Defence in the title; best it's kept well away from the NHS, that way it might work. Paid for out of the defence budget but with 15% of annual costs contributed from the Treasury to allow use by other agencies.

Provided it doesn't become the Labour Party's private hospital, of course :roll:
And call it Noth Allerton?

Alternatively and old Airfield would suffice, runways would be in place already plus some accomodation. RAF Alconbury would have been good, good transport links, rural area.

DarkNinja said:
Bravo_Zulu said:

And call it Noth Allerton?
Nah, it'd get confused with the MDHU in Northallerton :)

Or Brugen (now Elmpt) which is close to Wegberg, my understanding was that we had Naval and RAF Hospitals because they were right next to the flight/shipping lines. These served those serving and their dependants incredibly (first hand accounts in my family) although I don't know how successful they would have been under the strains of the current climate.

I suspect Buggerall is correct on half the arguement and the other half was money, money normally overrides common sense.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
As someone who has some input professionally to Northallerton and MDHU there and at Middlesbrough, I want to draw two distinct points-

Both junior, senior doctor and nurse training has been improved by access to MDHU affiliated NHS hospitals. The medics I speak to regularly are in agreement. There are many ex-RAMC in those two particular hospitals and it is really quite easy to familiarise serving military to these hospitals. They do gain great experience with many difficult and complex cases and on a frequent basis.

The bad point? The NHS use military medics (both nursing and medical) to serve the aims of the organisation, which is to reduce waiting lists etc, and not to specifically look to the needs of serving military. This means that the military medics will spend much of their time looking after people with conditions that they will not be likely to encounter in military life.

Even worse is the experience that military encounter when they come into MDHU affiliated hospitals. They are often treated in wards where they are with demanding elderly patients and the physio regimes for the military are inadequate.

If there are any comments/questions/bleats/enquiries or anything else regarding FHN or JCUH that I can deal with then PM me. You will get a straight answer.

Latest Threads