If the police do strike

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Emkay, Dec 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any chance the army will be deployed to keep order?

2. With who?

We haven't got anyone.
  3. Doubt it. Soldiers would have little knowledge of criminal law and proceedure that are essential in virtualy every aspect of our working day. Furthermore the concept of 'martial law' would be unappealing to say the least to many in authority, what powers (other than that of any person) would a soldier have to enforce the law, aprehend offenders and investigate crime.
    That said I would love to see the area that I police, after a few days at the hands of some of my old coleagues. It would make my life a lot easier!
  4. If they do I bet there would be allot less real crime for the time they are replacing the bobby's.
  5. Doubt it, actually what is legalities over this with CSOs aswell?
    Failing that I guess we can still deploy scouts and brownies.
    Oh, do they exist anymore still?
  6. I seem to remember doing a job in support of the RUC for a while.

Still the police wouldn't be noticed around here, unless you are a car driver !
  7. The police can't strike. They're bound by law to keep to their side of the agreement with the government (i.e. no strikes) while the government have no legal obligation to pay the rises calculated by the arbitration.

What they can do, I believe, is refuse to carry guns; refuse to travel in vehicles and refuse to work overtime. Let's see how corageous Gordon is if the legion of MP5 toting police officers at the gates of Downing Street down tools and leave him at the mercy of Osama and his mates.

I suspect things will come to a head when pay rises are awarded in full to civillians working for the police. They can, and will, strike and Gordon knows he can't mess them about. The firemen should be making their regular appearence on the picket lines soon and rumour has it the nurses will follow them in due course.

Anybody old enough to remember 1979?
  9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Oh don't say that, you'll ruin a line I've been using for years...

Pinko 'The UK is becoming a police state'
    Nehustan 'Do you think?'
    Pinko 'Definitely!'
    Nehustan 'Strange, last time I checked it had been a military state for around a millenium'

10. There will be no strike action - believe me.
  11. I've heard a crack squad of PCSOs are on standby.
  12. Ancient Mariner,

What part of 1979 do you want me to remember ? I am old enough.
  13. it would be funny if we did

love to see some of the gobby pissheads faces as we pull a minimi out on them :twisted:
  14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Sadly enough they be just stupid enough to justify warning shots...
  15. The existence of RNP, RMMP, RMP & RAFP suggests otherwise.