If the police do strike

Doubt it. Soldiers would have little knowledge of criminal law and proceedure that are essential in virtualy every aspect of our working day. Furthermore the concept of 'martial law' would be unappealing to say the least to many in authority, what powers (other than that of any person) would a soldier have to enforce the law, aprehend offenders and investigate crime.
That said I would love to see the area that I police, after a few days at the hands of some of my old coleagues. It would make my life a lot easier!

Doubt it, actually what is legalities over this with CSOs aswell?
Failing that I guess we can still deploy scouts and brownies.
Oh, do they exist anymore still?

I seem to remember doing a job in support of the RUC for a while.

Still the police wouldn't be noticed around here, unless you are a car driver !

The police can't strike. They're bound by law to keep to their side of the agreement with the government (i.e. no strikes) while the government have no legal obligation to pay the rises calculated by the arbitration.

What they can do, I believe, is refuse to carry guns; refuse to travel in vehicles and refuse to work overtime. Let's see how corageous Gordon is if the legion of MP5 toting police officers at the gates of Downing Street down tools and leave him at the mercy of Osama and his mates.

I suspect things will come to a head when pay rises are awarded in full to civillians working for the police. They can, and will, strike and Gordon knows he can't mess them about. The firemen should be making their regular appearence on the picket lines soon and rumour has it the nurses will follow them in due course.

Anybody old enough to remember 1979?

Trick_Boom said:
Doubt it, actually what is legalities over this with CSOs aswell?
quote]

In short none, hence they don't make arrests or deal with the investigation of offences. It's also why they are in many circles ridiculed. they do have some powers granted under the Police Reform Act (2004?), which allow them to detain suspects for up to thirty minutes pending the arrival of a constable, however this is only exercised in a few forces.

There is no provision in law for soldiers to act as constables, any such move would require new legislation to be created. This legislation would be in contradiction of one of the founding principles of a democratic system of governement; that of martial law.

Any option of soldiers being sworn in as S.C's would also be problematic as they are preventing from serving in this office. I'm unaware if this is local policy or an actual clause in the Specuial Constables Act.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
martin7606 said:
Doubt it. Soldiers would have little knowledge of criminal law and proceedure that are essential in virtualy every aspect of our working day. Furthermore the concept of 'martial law' would be unappealing to say the least to many in authority, what powers (other than that of any person) would a soldier have to enforce the law, aprehend offenders and investigate crime.
That said I would love to see the area that I police, after a few days at the hands of some of my old coleagues. It would make my life a lot easier!

Oh don't say that, you'll ruin a line I've been using for years...

Pinko 'The UK is becoming a police state'
Nehustan 'Do you think?'
Pinko 'Definitely!'
Nehustan 'Strange, last time I checked it had been a military state for around a millenium'

:twisted:

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Chris_2oo6 said:
it would be funny if we did

love to see some of the gobby pissheads faces as we pull a minimi out on them :twisted:
Sadly enough they be just stupid enough to justify warning shots...

JoseyWales said:
There will be no strike action - believe me.
I agree. They haven't got the bollox.

Nice one Gordon, just make sure that the couple of % extra that you didn't give them goes on the Armed Forces pay rise.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
ottar said:
martin7606 said:
There is no provision in law for soldiers to act as constables
The existence of RNP, RMMP, RMP & RAFP suggests otherwise.
Actually good point. London SIB is about 5 minutes from my house and you do see RMP on patrol with the Met in the area on occassion which would imply they're briefed to some extent...

Nehustan said:
ottar said:
martin7606 said:
Actually good point. London SIB is about 5 minutes from my house and you do see RMP on patrol with the Met in the area on occassion which would imply they're briefed to some extent...

I'm guessing only to assist the Civ plod with servicemen who are getting a bit lairy. You tend to see it in areas with an abundance of soldiers knocking around.

RMP types, correct me if I'm wrong but Military plod of all services don't have power of Warrant of civilains unless it's directly related to a military incident?

I beleive it would take a rather large act of Parliament for the Armed Forces to 'assist the civvy police'. We seem to have got it in and around 1968-69 and sort of kept it for 38 years! :roll:

ottar said:
martin7606 said:
Oink,

RMP, RMMP, RNP & RAFP are not constables. Just as Police Constables are not soldiers, they are two very different positions.

A constable is a civilian, sworn into the office to (in this case) police anywhere in England and Wales and with powers of arrest against any person within that area commiting, about to commit, with reasonable gorunds to suspect of commiting, have commited or about to commit an offence. A military policeman has jurisdiction within the armed forces and in certain circumstances family members of serving soldiers, airmen ect.

In summary the RMP and other service police force members are not constable and therefore have no powers to uphold civil law against civilians, other than that of 'any person' powers (citizens arrest).

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Nehustan said:
ottar said:
martin7606 said:

I'm guessing only to assist the Civ plod with servicemen who are getting a bit lairy. You tend to see it in areas with an abundance of soldiers knocking around.

RMP types, correct me if I'm wrong but Military plod of all services don't have power of Warrant of civilains unless it's directly related to a military incident?
True, but there are ways their powers can be stretched. Mod plod have the necessary powers, though.

I beleive it would take a rather large act of Parliament for the Armed Forces to 'assist the civvy police'. We seem to have got it in and around 1968-69 and sort of kept it for 38 years! :roll:
In the unlikely event there is a strike I would think the Government would enact emergency legislation at the speed of a thousand gazelles.

There are plenty of other special police forces and investigative bodies that can (thinly) cover the territorial police forces, in any case.