Votes: 0 0.0%
  • form a militia and declare an autonomous zone of ARRSE

• nothing, the soviets nuked you on the way in

• something else

• Total voters
Our new 'pals' over at urban 75 are having a poll on what we wuld do if the commies had invaded in the 60's.
[tenuous historical imagination] wind back to say the 1960s and the Soviet Union invades over British spy planes or something equally trivial

What would you do?
There results are interesting (if almost predicatble), so i thouhgt it might be interesting to see what the members on here thought

And for our resident U75 monitors, this is not an invite for members to invade your forums, merely to highlight one of you current issues so that we can contrast views.

regards

A_S

PS, i couldnt include all of the options as arrse only allows about 7or8.
They included

Raise the red flag to welcome your proletarian brothers
sabotage the british army for the motherland
fight those bastard reds on the beaches
join the raf, 'cause dogfighting looks glam in the movies
emigrate to the states
take to the hills and start guerrilla warfare agaisnst the fatherless
hold a silent vigil in protest at soviet aggression
hold a silent vigil in protest at british aggression
accuse the americans of starting it
form a militia and declare bristol an autonomous zone
nothing, the soviets nuked you on the way in
something else

balme the spams
Shades of 'Life of Brian,' crib scene "what exactly is a balm anyway?"

B

Biscuits_AB

I'd 'balme' the SPAMs, but it sounds a bit gay, so I'll raise the red flag over Rotherhamgrad in :

The People's Republic of South Yorkshire!

Eh oop!

Sorry, fat fingers! 8O

For balme the spams, read blame the spams! :D

F

fozzy

Bob_the_bulletproof said:
I wasn't even a gleam in my dad's eyes at the time...

Hence the something else.

Otherwise i'd probably have been nuked or fight them on the beaches.
I would have fought them, but as we'd have been very probably nuked I'd probably would have ended up as a very minor component of the resultant massive belts of fall-out.

However the buggers would have been nuked back as some of our V-bombers would have got through and dropped large buckets of instant sunshine on Moscow, Kiev,Omsk and Minsk etc

Unfortunately, I suspect that many U75'ers see "Defence of the realm" as the ONLY reason for the existence of HM Forces. That being the case, as the USSR/Warsaw Pact is no longer a threat, we should all be de-mobbed, and our swords beaten into ploughshares.
It demonstrates the general lack of political savvy on that forum, as the risk of a Soviet attack was highest in the eighties, not in the sixties.

Well, I was brought up very close to Menwith Hill, so presumably I disappeared in a burst of SS20 induced heat and light on day 1 - if the airburst missile don't get you then the Su-24 Fencer-delivered ground burst will! Oh yeah, and I'd probably have found time to blame the spams between the warning and the big flash. It's their phone tapping centre after all.

I'm glad to see that most of us are heading for the hills. Does anyone know where any of those cold-war "Auxiliary" caches are? :D

One thing is for sure the chaps on U75 would all have been sent on long holidays to Siberia. One thing the commies don't like is other commies.

In the 60,s I would have probably been evaporated by a dose of instant sunshine being poured over the NATO facility by my family home.I later saw the soviet satelite pictures and target data (wow-I can see my house on that!!!)

Can't I form a militia and blame the spams? :?

Alright which nobhead voted for

Raise the red flag to welcome your proletarian brothers.

Someone did. Own up who wasit? We wont harm you, merely hand you over to the new communist branch of arrse (see big jock and fridgemagnet for details :twisted: )

A_S

Sleeper_service said:
Unfortunately, I suspect that many U75'ers see "Defence of the realm" as the ONLY reason for the existence of HM Forces. That being the case, as the USSR/Warsaw Pact is no longer a threat, we should all be de-mobbed, and our swords beaten into ploughshares.

Whats the point we don't have a farming industry now anyway. :p

i think you will find that most british communist at the time would have fought the Russians, as they are British first and communist second.
my uncle was a communist and has served in the army with distinction. that would have been his view.

It's interesting how our pink cousins have voted on things in the past.

Unlike the British public at large, they don't consider that Churchill was the 'Greatest Briton of all time'. Given options ranging from 'flawed but great' to simply 'great', over a third of their membership voted him as a 'nasty piece of work'.

So much for their protestations that they are simply a cross section of society with no leftwing bias.

http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=3634

some of their replies, (1st 10)
tim
Is Churchill a national hero? What's your opinion?
My grand-father, not a very radical man, disliked Churchill because of his memories of the Siege of Sidney Street, others I've come acros dislike him because of Gallipoli, The general strike, Tonypandy, and his bombing of Iraq. However he is still seen by many (at least in the media) as our national hero. Recently the ASA banned an advert that was seen as mocking him and a hagiographic museum has been opened in central London. What do you think.

holteman
he was a ****.....

icepick
big. fat. cock.

Good on your grandpa!

Phototropic
He was a ******* racist nasty peice of shit who if it wasn't for the war would have just been another scum bag in the foot notes of history.

Churchill worshipping makes me sick.

neilh
no, don't like him.

Vash
**** and mass murderer, rip down his statue, **** him and his supporters he didn't win the 'war'.

grtho

Siege of Sidney Street......Gallipoli, The general strike, Tonypandy, and his bombing of Iraq.

There you go!

Phototropic

Don't forget the Black and Tans....

On June 17, 1920, Lt. Col. Smyth was appointed division commander of the RIC for Munster. Below is part of his speech to his constables:

"....If a police barracks is burned or if the barracks already occupied is not suitable, then the best house in the locality is to be commandeered, the occupants thrown into the gutter. Let them die there - the more the merrier. Police and military will patrol the country at least five nights a week. They are not to confine themselves to the main roads, but make across the country, lie in ambush and, when civilians are seen approaching, shout "Hands up!" Should the order be not immediately obeyed, shoot and shoot with effect. If the persons approaching carry their hands in their pockets, or are in any way suspicious-looking, shoot them down. You may make mistakes occasionally and innocent persons may be shot, but that cannot be helped, and you are bound to get the right parties some time. The more you shoot, the better I will like you, and I assure you no policeman will get into trouble for shooting any man ..."

poster342002

Didn't he hold a few unpleasant ideas on racial eugenics himself?
I guess they liked him then? :roll:

E

error_unknown

Awol said:
Unlike the British public at large, they don't consider that Churchill was the 'Greatest Briton of all time'. Given options ranging from 'flawed but great' to simply 'great', over a third of their membership voted him as a 'nasty piece of work'.

So much for their protestations that they are simply a cross section of society with no leftwing bias.
I understand what you mean, but a lot of Churchill's career doesn't stand up to a great deal of scrutiny. On many of the great issues that he was involved in prior to 1936, he was definitely and undeniably wrong, and his self perception as a 'Man of destiny' smacked of outright lunacy. His second Premiership was ill-judged, if not actually a disaster.

But having said that, his opposition to appeasement in the pre-war period and his leadership of this country during the summer of 1940 must rank as one of the greatest services to mankind in recorded history. With hindsight, one can plausibly argue that Hitler lost the war in May 1940 when he prevented the Wehrmacht from destroying the BEF in northern France and allowed the bulk of the army to escape via Dunkirk, but a lesser leader than Churchill would have tried to make a deal then and we would probably now all be learning Russian as a second language and queuing for coffee substitute and plastic shoes in a Jew-free Europe.

Tony Blair would still be running the Politburo, though.

Wasn't there a film in the early/mid 80's which dealt with much the same subject - Red Dawn?

The story went along the lines of: Political turmoil, Russians invade with 'support' of government. Gang of teenagers take to hills and singularly take on might of Russian armed forces. They win - of course. I seem to remember it was absolute shoite.

Oracle said:
Wasn't there a film in the early/mid 80's which dealt with much the same subject - Red Dawn?

The story went along the lines of: Political turmoil, Russians invade with 'support' of government. Gang of teenagers take to hills and singularly take on might of Russian armed forces. They win - of course. I seem to remember it was absolute shoite.
A Reaganite re-working of "The Battle of Algiers". (A frog film so Red Dawn falls into the same category as "3 Men and a Baby"). Patrick Swayze and Powers Boothe star as I recall.

Eckshully, an authentic UK grown product along the same lines would be the "Invasion 1999" comic strip published in 2000AD