As long as the Tories aren't infiltrated by Commies...Most of us are well aware of a number of nasty people within the Labour Party who have a Communist/Socialist political outlook which has been long discredited by both history (collapse of Warsaw Pact etc) and more recent events (Venezuela).
If Comrade Corbyn and his ilk actually get into power at the next election (heaven forbid) just how could they go about turning the UK into their one party socialist workers paradise?
I don't need to be told how bad it would be, that is pretty self explanatory, but there a number of Arrsers who are far more knowledgeable regarding UK politics than myself and I'm simply curious to find out if it would actually be possible for a UK Government to turn the UK into a communist one party state.
I've put this into the Current events forum in order to encourage some sensible discussion... I live in hope, stranger things have happened...
I have been pondering this at work today and wondering how they could suppress or overrule Parliament or remove HM Queen without risking bring people onto the streets or how they could compel the Police and military to support a one party state.
Here's some inspiration...
I applaud your optimistic outlookThere was a thread last year about what a Liarbour government might look like after a short period in office. here's what I wrote at the time - I see no need to edit anything.
Six months in an Corbyn would still be in power, but there would be
1. Chaos at the Home Office - Diane Abbott's banning of Stop Search and requirement that BME officers fill 80% of police training posts have led to the resignation of 38 of the 43 Chief Constables. Forces where the BME population is low are not exempt and as such have cancelled all training, leading to a sharp fall in officer numbers. Crime is rising and what is left of the Army [see below] has been called in after riots broke out in Bristol after a power cut.
2. Chaos at the Treasury - the Land Value system that has replaced Council Tax has led to a three bedroom house in north London having a bill of £10,000 and a terrace in certain parts of fashionable Cheshire a £4000 bill [figures published this week]. As such house prices have crashed, arrears and bankruptcies have meant council incomes have plummeted and central government is bailing out. At the same time bailing out is what the City is doing after swinging taxes are levied on financial institutions to pay for the enormous increase in spending on the NHS. The EU has waived the new trade tariffs to encourage banks to relocate to Frankfurt and Rotterdam.
3. Chaos at Defence. Trident has been scrapped and policy is that the Armed Forces will be limited to a costal and domestic territorial protection role. The Falklands have been handed to Argentina and Gibraltar to the Spanish after threats of armed action have been made. CDS, CGS, CAS and 1st Sea Lord posts are all vacant as all potential officers have resigned or refused the appointment. NATO is considering expelling UK as it refuses to commit funds or personnel to operations or training. On receiving his orders to return to port the Captain of the on-patrol SSBN has sailed it to the US where the crew are now claiming political asylum.
4. Chaos at the Foreign Office. Due to Corbyn aligning himself with Iran, Palestine and Russia, the US has formally ended the Special Relationship and President Trump [elected for a landslide second term] refers to UK as 'a hostile former ally'.
5. Domestically. Unemployment is soaring. Interest rates are at 5% and rising at .5 of a percentage point [note correct nomenclature] per month. The Governor of the BoE has predicted that the UK will be bankrupt in 6 month. inflation is also increasing rapidly and there have been disturbances caused by basic food shortages. The arbitrary closure of all nuclear power stations has meant a rolling programme of power cuts and the power workers' unions have issued a 20% pay claim, predicting a return to the 3 Day Week of the Heath era.
6. Scotland has issued a Unilateral Declaration of Independence (so there is some good to come of it after all).
I'm thinking you'd have to hand that tele in to someone with a weird hat and wide shoulder boards.
I would imagine the practical approach to business would scare many of the upper crust. But the working class and middle class don't seem to mind us heathens as much. Unless you are drinking from a tap it is cans and bottles my good man.In America, you avin a giraffe?........... slurping beer out of a glass is seen as highly sophisticated in the colonies', how they will take to Nancy Mitford's book "U and non U " the arbiter of all things class and sophisticated, which describes the upper crust from the proles, working classes, serfs, lower classes, take your pick, where a house is pronounced, Hice, what clothes to wear, what cutlery to use, and how, and the 1001 other things, that evolved over the century's that separate us from them, the best the Americans can aspire to, would be using a knife and folk for the full duration of the meal, and not swapping cutlery, once the possum and homily grits (?) have been cut up............. bon appetit!
As 70% of the flavour goes up your nose you are almost committing a criminal offence there.I would imagine the practical approach to business would scare many of the upper crust. But the working class and middle class don't seem to mind us heathens as much. Unless you are drinking from a tap it is cans and bottles my good man.
Don't worry, I shall ensure strokes for the upper crust by eating a hot dog, and maybe sipping out of a Red Solo Cup!!
Yeah, coz it ain't like a western democracy has ever voted in to power a bunch of nut jobs before mate.It will never happen, can you really see aunt betty and family, confined to some isolated farm house, and eventually being shot, ( Czar Nickolas 2nd and entire family wiped out by the communists) A Stasi or KGB style of policing, all industry, commerce, transport, banking, farming, fishing, and mining run by total incompetents, D Abbott comes to mind. And the military, think back, to the early 70's, when the government lost the plot, strikes, power cuts, 3 day weeks, blackouts, the army was on the verge of a military coup, Harold Wilson was ousted and Callahan took over. If it ever happens, and it won't, its all or nothing, Steptoe will want absolute control and power, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, Putin is a good example, as is Trump to a lesser degree.
Do you really think that millions of folk will stand idly by and allow that totally inept bunch of dreamers and subversives to take over, I don't think so, and with all branches of the military backing them up...........
Powder River, Let er’ buck would be far more appropriate and confusing to those not familiar with our ways.Don't forget to wear your 10 gallon hat and shout Yee-haw! at the top of your voice at regular intervals. A few rounds from a Colt into the ceiling wouldn't go amiss either.