If knife crime has risen, but public perception says crime has fallen is it worth spending more money on fighting knife crime?

ugly

LE
Knife crime at record levels in 2018

Knife crime in England and Wales rose to record levels last year, data shows.
Police recorded 40,829 offences involving knives or sharp instruments in 2018, up 6% on the year before.
The Office for National Statistics said cases of murder and manslaughter, excluding terror attacks, increased by 12%. There were 732 killings, up from 655 in 2017 - the highest since 2007.
But the separate Crime Survey, based on people's experiences, points to no significant change in overall crime.
The police-recorded knife crime figures come amid a national debate on the issue, following a spate of assaults and killings involving young people.

So is it worth giving the police more money or should it be targeted? Can we treat knife crime as a social disease that eventually be sorted out as in no knife wielding crime left or can we crush it using a major task force and should it be run nationally?

Knife crime at record levels in 2018

Knife crime in England and Wales rose to record levels last year, data shows.
Police recorded 40,829 offences involving knives or sharp instruments in 2018, up 6% on the year before.
The Office for National Statistics said cases of murder and manslaughter, excluding terror attacks, increased by 12%. There were 732 killings, up from 655 in 2017 - the highest since 2007.
But the separate Crime Survey, based on people's experiences, points to no significant change in overall crime.
The police-recorded knife crime figures come amid a national debate on the issue, following a spate of assaults and killings involving young people.

So is it worth giving the police more money or should it be targeted? Can we treat knife crime as a social disease that eventually be sorted out as in no knife wielding crime left or can we crush it using a major task force and should it be run nationally?

Address the causes of knife crime, which opens up a monumental can of worms, stretching back to the abolition of corporal punishment in schools, and the lack of family cohesion, other causes may have been instrumental.

Let me get this straight. You are asking to choose between fact and opinion to drive policy?

Isn’t this an example of the whole Richard Madeley versus Femi Oluwole idiocy

Lots of things in there, let's look at two to kick it off:

Experiences, or perceptions? The resulting survey answers would depend very much on where the people who are asked actually live. Mr & Mrs Range Rover - Mercedes are not going to live in an area where there is much if any violent crime; whereas Mr & Mrs Mondeo are going to live in a different area where there may be a significantly higher level of violent crime; finally, the common law couple Mr & Mrs UB40 are going to live in an area of even higher crime.

Sadly toads and scrotes tend to shit on their own doorsteps. Ergo the overall perception that crime has stayed static, whereas if it migrated to the lanes of Surrey and Hampshire there would be outcry and things would be done.

Thats an issue. How do you run a major task force to target individual low life scrotes? What it needs is the police to be allowed to do their job's without having to look over their shoulders wondering if they are going to get slapped by some limp politician (who probably lives in a leafy lane in Surrey or Hampshire, see 1. above).

Then when the police have been able to do their job's it needs courts with the balls to hand down meaningful sentences. That leads nicely into the prison factor; more prisons are needed and they need to be secure, tough places so that the scrotes actually shit themselves at the prospect of being sent down.

I still maintain the old Dartmoor solution was the best. Build prisons in the back of beyond so that relatives are not minded to visit every week - concrete cubicles and shite weather.

My daughter at uni in Leicester tell's me about the knife crime going on there. At the start of the academic year students were constantly being mugged at knifepoint at night, frog marched to a cash machine and made to empty their account as much as possible. There are parts of Leics near the uni where students do not walk once it is dark, they see no police presence, no security and very little in the way of street lighting. Reporting a knife crime to the police after the fact does not get money back, or magically heal the stab wound inflicted by a scrote.

Last edited:
If we admit that the thin blue line is too thin to cope with the alfresco displays of stabbing across the capital, perhaps some blue sky thinking is called for

There could be designated stab zones, where Londoners can display their culture heritage and stab each other legally leaving less stabbers around to stab innocent bystanders

Anyone found wounded in the stabs zones get taken to prison

It wouldn't solve the problem but might reduce the number of people causing the problems

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Even if these are indeed factual, any decrease in crime would indicate that the police are doing things well and are containing the issue. Taking cash away from success would just mean a rise in crime figures again.

A look at the causes of the knife crime may indicate that it is not really more policing that is needed. Attitudes will need to change as well as looking at the source of the issue: and any hiding behind the race card should be stamped on.

What should not happen is areas not affected by large knife crime figures get money taken away to boost the cities with the problem; London, Manchester and Birmingham I believe. If money is needed then govt needs to find it.

Perhaps there could be designated stab zones, where Londoners can display their culture heritage and stab each other legally leaving less stabbers around to stab innocent bystanders
It's 24 August 2019 to 26 August 2019 this year....

ugly

LE
If the perps are knifing the wannabe perps , and in the absence of sufficient Policing, let them reduce their own numbers.
Better still let them loose on the extinction protestors, tell them dey is disrespecktin dem innit!

A woman called Harriet Sergeant wrote a book a few years back about gangs in London. She worked for a think tank and wrote for the Daily Mail so she's no pushover.

Almost accidentally she became friends with some gang members and followed their lives over a period of 3 years. The book tells the story of those 3 years and is well worth reading. It's called 'Among the Hoods'.

A quote from Harriet herself:

"They changed me a lot more than I changed them . . . I went in as Anne Widdecombe and came out an anarchist."

Last edited:
Better still let them loose on the extinction protestors, tell them dey is disrespecktin dem innit!
As long as ' British Multiculturalism' wants to beat itself to pieces in Londinistan , I couldn't give a damn.
Come here and disturb the peace in my Shire, I may enjoy a better death than just old age.

A woman called Harriet Sergeant wrote a book a few years back about gangs in London. She worked for a think tank and wrote for the Daily Mail so she's no pushover.

Almost accidentally she became friends with some gang members and followed their lives over a period of 3 years. The book tells the story of those 3 years and is well worth reading. It's called 'Among the Hoods'.

A quote from Harriet herself:

"They changed me a lot more than I changed them . . . I went in as Anne Widdecombe and came out an anarchist."

Experiences, or perceptions? The resulting survey answers would depend very much on where the people who are asked actually live. Mr & Mrs Range Rover - Mercedes are not going to live in an area where there is much if any violent crime; whereas Mr & Mrs Mondeo are going to live in a different area where there may be a significantly higher level of violent crime; finally, the common law couple Mr & Mrs UB40 are going to live in an area of higher crime.

Sadly toads and scrotes tend to shit on their own doorsteps. Ergo the overall perception that crime has stayed static, whereas if it migrated to the lanes of Surrey and Hampshire there would be outcry and things would be done.

Thats an issue. How do you run a major task force to target individual low life scrotes? What it needs is the police to be allowed to do their job's without having to look over their shoulders wondering if they are going to get slapped by some limp politician (who probably lives in a leafy lane in Surrey or Hampshire, see 1. above).

Then when the police have been able to do their job's it needs courts with the balls to hand down meaningful sentences. That leads nicely into the prison factor; more prisons are needed and they need to be secure, tough places so that the scrotes actually shit themselves at the prospect of being sent down.

I still maintain the old Dartmoor solution was the best. Build prisons in the back of beyond so that relatives are not minded to visit every week, concrete cubicles and shite weather.

My daughter at uni in Leicester tell's me about the knife crime going on there. At the start of the academic year students were constantly being mugged at knifepoint at night, frog marched to a cash machine and made to empty their account as much as possible. There are parts of Leics near the uni where students do not walk once it is dark, they see no police presence, no security and very little in the way of street lighting. Reporting a knife crime to the police after the fact does not get money back, or magically heal the stab wound inflicted by a scrote.
IMG_0568 - Copy.jpg

You just need to be ready to provide your own source of illumination on those dark nights. Oddly enough knife crime ain't an issue round here.

The ONS has just published the 2018 crime statistics over here. There were a total of 732 homicides in England and Wales. When you can come up with figures like that you can lecture us on crime.
Don’t really care to lecture, I would just say the intent to harm is everywhere. But stabbing to death requires fit people who will violate the personal bubble. Squeezing a trigger is a touch easier for us lazy Yanks.

Experiences, or perceptions? The resulting survey answers would depend very much on where the people who are asked actually live. Mr & Mrs Range Rover - Mercedes are not going to live in an area where there is much if any violent crime; whereas Mr & Mrs Mondeo are going to live in a different area where there may be a significantly higher level of violent crime; finally, the common law couple Mr & Mrs UB40 are going to live in an area of higher crime.

I still maintain the old Dartmoor solution was the best. Build prisons in the back of beyond so that relatives are not minded to visit every week, concrete cubicles and shite weather.

There is a boat festival there every year, and that's the only time in the year the towpath-side moorings get used. It's Castle Park or carry on and make it to Birstall before dark.

I can't think of any demographic shift that has made Leicester more dangerous, so I'm stumped as to why.

There is a boat festival there every year, and that's the only time in the year the towpath-side moorings get used. It's Castle Park or carry on and make it to Birstall before dark.

I can't think of any demographic shift that has made Leicester more dangerous, so I'm stumped as to why.
The daughter told us that they were warned about it by the 2nd & 3rd year students, then lo and behold it started happening. Bede Park is a no go area after dark for lone students. The daughter does the very late/very early show on the uni radio station and unless her young man is around to walk back with her she spends the night at a friends place rather than walk through the park to the accommodation.

It has dropped off a bit at the moment as students don't have any money now so they are not worth mugging. It is however a well known occurrence. Demographically, well it only takes a couple of toadie's, and they may either be locals, or a couple of students who have moved into highway robbery.