Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I wanted loonies in government, I'd have voted Labour

As a lifelong Tory (and occasional LibDem) voter, not to mention a scourge of the Boris Grrrrrrrr brigade, I have to say that I'm fast losing patience with the current shower of shoite which passes for the UK Government.

I want to hear a very clear definition of the point at which government will concede that the damage we're taking in the current pandemic by following the approved policies exceeds the damage we would otherwise take and I want to have confidence that our decision-makers are sufficiently hard-boiled to make the right choices when that point is reached. I don't believe that the current administration, or any other available alternative, will provide either.

I think the Tories are currently in the middle of a massive misjudgement/collapse of leadership:

I hear you on this and I've noted that others whose views I often share on other matters feel the same. To some extent, it reminds me of the war weary public mood in 1945, which saw Attlee elected rather than Churchill, despite victory in a situation much more clear cut than now. Nor did it stop a million books and websites since picking open every decision made in that war, all with the benefit of hindsight.

In some ways though, this situation is even harder on the Government, since there are two diametrically opposed positions, each with strong partisanship in one of the World's most open liberal democracies. Neither position is entirely right or wrong and the situation is evolving constantly. Team Boris has to chart an extremely difficult path between them with no obvious alternatives. Earning much of our living through being an international hub state also makes virus control even harder.

To push for one direction or another is a luxury open to her Majesty's loyal opposition, the media and each of us as individuals, but not to the sitting Government, which must try to the best of its ability to be all things to all men. Strategically, we are probably doing OK. I fully agree tactical mistakes have been made, as they are in war. But again history teaches that whilst hard-line positions often confer an early advantage, they don't always win in the end. Often because the opponent learns from them and improves on them. We will do likewise.

So, my view is that it is little use simply blaming HMG for this, we need to tough it out, do our bit and accept that there are no easy answers, mistakes will be made but we will get through it.

Teachers have suffered from lack of, or below inflation pay rises for the last 2 decades, increased workload ( the marking and assessment they’re expected to do alone would take 40 hours a week), and worse behaviour in kids and parents. Yeah, but holidays... well an extra unpaid hour a week equates to an extra unpaid week per year and every minute of every day is accounted for. yeah, but teachers grrrr...
True.
We reckon SWMBO is around £600.00 per month worse off in Final Salary pension monthly
after a total of 12 years frozen from 42 years but let's be pragmatic...who gives a toss?
Our son's monthly wedge in his second year of Police public-purse is around £200.00 more net than Mum's was leaving 5 years back.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
People may say this but with your example the cause of death would be the bus, additional factors can be added which could be while having Covid. The main cause of death if no other factors were known could be Covid or it may be referred to the coroner.
What would be being hit by a bus have to do with Covid? I could be hit by a bus whilst having a bout of tonsilitis, it doesn't mean I died of tonsilitis and it would have no bearing on how I died, you're not more likely to die by being hit by a bus with tonsilitis, are you?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
What would be being hit by a bus have to do with Covid? I could be hit by a bus whilst having a bout of tonsilitis, it doesn't mean I died of tonsilitis and it would have no bearing on how I died, you're not more likely to die by being hit by a bus with tonsilitis, are you?
I was using your example and said ‘could’.
ok try this example someone with dementia who dies while having a chest infection. Cause of death likely dementia but associated factors chest infection would be likely.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I hear you on this and I've noted that others whose views I often share on other matters feel the same. To some extent, it reminds me of the war weary public mood in 1945, which saw Attlee elected rather than Churchill, despite victory in a situation much more clear cut than now. Nor did it stop a million books and websites since picking open every decision made in that war, all with the benefit of hindsight.

In some ways though, this situation is even harder on the Government, since there are two diametrically opposed positions, each with strong partisanship in one of the World's most open liberal democracies. Neither position is entirely right or wrong and the situation is evolving constantly. Team Boris has to chart an extremely difficult path between them with no obvious alternatives. Earning much of our living through being an international hub state also makes virus control even harder.

To push for one direction or another is a luxury open to her Majesty's loyal opposition, the media and each of us as individuals, but not to the sitting Government, which must try to the best of its ability to be all things to all men. Strategically, we are probably doing OK. I fully agree tactical mistakes have been made, as they are in war. But again history teaches that whilst hard-line positions often confer an early advantage, they don't always win in the end. Often because the opponent learns from them and improves on them. We will do likewise.

So, my view is that it is little use simply blaming HMG for this, we need to tough it out, do our bit and accept that there are no easy answers, mistakes will be made but we will get through it.

That's a good post but, even without the unholy mess that's been Covid:

1. BLM - anarchy on the streets with no effective police response.
2. Astronomic rise of no-platforming and an intellectual mono-culture within the education system and the arts with no effective counter.
3. Crazily expensive and nonsensical zero-carbon strategy with an associated and highly expensive 'green' technology requirement.
4. All media pretence at impartiality from those elements required to be impartial vanished.
5. Social media lynch mobs cranking up the hate without any attempt to rein in the social media providers.

Essentially this government's allowing a cultural civil war to rage without the slightest intervention and the result is an increasingly angry and ever more deeply divided society.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Maybe a better example of the above. You get killed by a bus, post mortem discovers your tonsillitis is throat cancer.

That's the thing that people in the "Private" sector forget (or refuse to listen to) is that Public Sector (council not Civil Service) had an almost 10 year pay freeze back in the 90's which effectively was a wage cut while the rest of industry was booming. People choose to work for for local authorities not for big wages (hahahah) or pensions (which they pay into. I pay 7% every month) but for a bit of job security. The majority of Local Authority workers are quite low paid or moderately paid.

the public has been swept along in the Daily Hate CS/LG witch hunt....

note how they always quote the higher bands, not the rank and files.

’gold plated CS on £54k’ gets far more green ink than ‘most CS earn under £22k with no pay progression’

I think you need to see what “Austerity” looks like in other places that really practice it.

you mean like America?

6462F5B9-93CF-4133-90DB-3B805E9C5D0F.jpeg

1DEA000D-DBB6-4C58-9D80-DD2D69058D1F.jpeg

4413015D-A28C-439C-9BAB-338ED6E9E716.jpeg

Because as with most matters of investment, they are as crap as anything else. Borrowing at zilch interest rates means close to zilch at our end. Put simply, I was getting 9/10% interest in the 80's but our mortgage rate hovered around 13%-ish.
Only way to make your money grow is buy/sell....stuff....anything that turns a coin.
"Job Lots" of Hornby-Triang junked abound...you can bet they will be fettled up a bit and pumped back out at a decent wee drip-fed earner.
Ebay is full of utter cack bought one day....from Ebay probably...and flogged later.
Couple years back I bought a horrid little mahogany box for a couple of quid, sanded & varnished it, polishedup the brass, and got £40.00 for it. Hour's work I think.
I may well do stuff like that again in the Spring. In real terms, I'm watching a 5 figure pension lump de-value by circa RPI 2 or 3%. Thinking....of buying to let a small 1-2 bed summat which would yield 7-9% but I cannot be arsssed with the inherent issues.....ofpeople being utter knunts.
I get that , but bear the following in mind

Classic cars : Ridiculous values being achieved on junk , all tax free , no road tax , VAT or capital gains
Lottery : Millions a week spunked on scratch cards and the lottery
Buy to Let / Small property development : All this does is inflate the value of property for hardly any return, and as you say , aggro though you can insure against a lot of it ( more cost , though )
Banks/ Building societies : No return

Lots of people are sitting on savings / cash they cannot spend , there are no holidays , events , activities , flights to spend it on .

If the Premium Bonds offered a decent return and a really good chance of a win , people would divert a lot of the above in to buying them and fill the gap left by a lower tax take

Last edited:
the public has been swept along in the Daily Hate CS/LG witch hunt....

note how they always quote the higher bands, not the rank and files.

’gold plated CS on £54k’ gets far more green ink than ‘most CS earn under £22k with no pay progression’

Correct. It's always the medias default setting of trying to turn Joe public Plumber/spark/salesmen against the Local Government worker.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Maybe a better example of the above. You get killed by a bus, post mortem discovers your tonsillitis is throat cancer.
But it wasn't the cancer that killed you but being walloped by 40 tons of metal travelling at a velocity of 30mph, so therefore cause of death would be RTA, not cancer unless the cancer drove you to dive under the bus.

That's a good post but, even without the unholy mess that's been Covid:

1. BLM - anarchy on the streets with no effective police response.
2. Astronomic rise of no-platforming and an intellectual mono-culture within the education system and the arts with no effective counter.
3. Crazily expensive and nonsensical zero-carbon strategy with an associated and highly expensive 'green' technology requirement.
4. All media pretence at impartiality from those elements required to be impartial vanished.
5. Social media lynch mobs cranking up the hate without any attempt to rein in the social media providers.

Essentially this government's allowing a cultural civil war to rage without the slightest intervention and the result is an increasingly angry and ever more deeply divided society.

Sadly, I offer you Weimar Germany, where the Left made the initial running, but it was the Right which triumphed from the chaos they created, and the Centre was swallowed up.

Clashes at the extremes are difficult for a Liberal political culture to clamp down on with any conviction, as Weimar proved. Here, we can see this in the widespread accusations of "Tory authoritarianism" in response to lockdown, although the Government only imposed it with deep reluctance.

Liberal Democracy's best hope is generally for the public at large to signal "enough" to whichever faction most blatantly oversteps the mark, allowing the Government of the day to be seen to be responding to public mood. Go too soon or too late and public confidence is lost. As ever, whilst the solutions may be evident, the issue is the timing...

Last edited:
Correct. It's always the medias default setting of trying to turn Joe public Plumber/spark/salesmen against the Local Government worker.

the same ‘look at us, we’re minted’ public/plumber/sparks/salesmen putting nothing away for a pension or just paying the basic ‘people’s pension’ and going to get a huge financial shock when they retire.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
But it wasn't the cancer that killed you but being walloped by 40 tons of metal travelling at a velocity of 30mph, so therefore cause of death would be RTA, not cancer unless the cancer drove you to dive under the bus.

Here look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was using your example and said ‘could’.
ok try this example someone with dementia who dies while having a chest infection. Cause of death likely dementia but associated factors chest infection would be likely.
Yes but if someone dies of multiple ailments, it is statistically misleading to push up the death count for each of those individual diseases by one death.

This is exactly what is happening with COVID. Dying WITH COVID is being treated statistically as death FROM COVID.

All because it suits the NHS's messaging that is permanently in crisis and needs more money. More 'COVID deaths' means more money and more applause.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Yes but if someone dies of multiple ailments, it is statistically misleading to push up the death count for each of those individual diseases by one death.

This is exactly what is happening with COVID. Dying WITH COVID is being treated statistically as death FROM COVID.

All because it suits the NHS's messaging that is permanently in crisis and needs more money. More 'COVID deaths' means more money and more applause.
That makes the assumption that doctors are lying on death certificates and I’ve not seen any examples of that.

Boris is operating with the best intentions, and compared to that Dragon Theresa May's time in office I know who I would rather have in No10, its Boris every time. However he has made some fundamental errors.

1. His Cabinet team are mostly a bunch of chancers and wasters, Jenrick (of questionable honesty) who couldn't make up his mind where his main household is in Lockdown 1. Gove, who is as slimy as a slippery eel in vaseline, Hancock, who never answers a question about anything, Shapps who as Transport Secretary has allowed the clogging of vital arteries in our cities to allow a couple of cyclists to have a clear pathway on their way to work, even when they can and do work from home.
2. Boris has failed to appoint a deputy (even when under ventilation for Covid) allowing a vacuum in leadership becoming free for all to take place amongst his cabinet colleagues for a number of weeks, More recently he has been in isolation trying to run the country from No10 with questionable connectivity to Parliament. This has been a major error on Boris' part.
3. His decisions on major capital projects like HS2, more taxpayers hard earned being spent on knocking this country's heartlands apart, despite his "Green" agenda.
4. His "green" policies which seem to move forward by 5 years every 2 months.

I was a Boris supporter, I have to say that a year on under his leadership I doubt I would be a supporter in future elections.