Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I wanted loonies in government, I'd have voted Labour

Anyone know why the Liverpool "Covid hotspot / we're all going to die" went off the pages once the Army got involved with the Lateral Flow Test rather than the rt-PCR test and the infection rate collapsed?

The clue's in the question.
Or indeed why the falling case (positive test) rate headline figure is now replaced by death rate (which wasn't important last week) which is rising due to last weeks high case rate?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Or indeed why the falling case (positive test) rate headline figure is now replaced by death rate (which wasn't important last week) which is rising due to last weeks high case rate?
The death figures are disingenuous to say the least, "deaths with a positive Covid result in the past 28 days", basically take a test on Monday, get a positive result Tuesday, get hit by a bus on Thursday = Covid. The figures need to be seperated out, dying of Covid, dying with Covid but not of and just plain simple dying of other reasons and only using the dying of Covid for the briefings given on telly.

Don't ask me, I've always thought he was a was a twat who isn't very good at making decisions.

Always Wants To Be Right Guy rails against every incumbent politician in desperate bid to say "I told you so" after every unpopular decision.

Wee Hawken

Old-Salt
The first alternative was Corbyn and the next in line failed to retain her seat. What is your point?
My point is that if you voted for a Boris-and-Cummings administration and thought that you were going to get a credible and sensible Government then your innocence is quite touching.

To be fair, they left some of the more extreme ERG loons safely on the back benches where they belong so it could have been even worse.

But: just what were you expecting??

Ive said this before, if the conservatives are seen to let granny snuff it, it will be a gift to Labour.
Most other countries have varying lockdowns, if the UK breaks ranks every death will be brought up in the commons.
Not just granny either, one young child and we will never hear the end of it. And if it was a scouse child you can imagine the griefwhoring.
Granny and her peers being a significant proportion of their membership and voters.

True but nurses are just part of the team.
In order to balance the books, your country is going to have to make cuts in some areas. Foreign aid was a start. The welfare state will have to absorb some cuts as well.
What do you think "austerity" was all about?

Last edited:
OR

Sack it all off and let everyone get COVID.

Fewer people will die in the long run. Yes, we'll lose the 1% of people who are already dying, plus a few people with entirely self induced lifestyle issues, but by not tanking the economy, we'll actually be able to have a functioning society that can care for itself.
I had Covid Strain B in late January 2020. But I didn't know until all the Managers at work were tested and Hey Ho I had the anti bodies for strain B. If I was still married I would be saying look man flu is a real thing you cackling old witch.
In reality, I was down with Flu like symptoms (Just heavy flu, aches and pains, cough and temperature) for 3 days and was back at work on the 5th day.

Granny and her peers being a significant proportion of their membership and voters.
Not that many of them will die to make a difference especially as they are more likely to kark it soon anyway. Its all about the image.

Always Wants To Be Right Guy rails against every incumbent politician in desperate bid to say "I told you so" after every unpopular decision.
Desperate to be funny guy makes shit up. Again...awaits "Last word" attempt. Again.

My views on Boris have been out there since pre referendum. My views on Gove haven't changed, he's a twat but competent. And so on.

Your own views on anything/anyone but me?

Last edited:
Can’t speak for other professions but loads of the public sector have done very badly for years, pensions messed with, few if any rises. Nobody would mind losing out now and then if it would help others.

That's the thing that people in the "Private" sector forget (or refuse to listen to) is that Public Sector (council not Civil Service) had an almost 10 year pay freeze back in the 90's which effectively was a wage cut while the rest of industry was booming. People choose to work for for local authorities not for big wages (hahahah) or pensions (which they pay into. I pay 7% every month) but for a bit of job security. The majority of Local Authority workers are quite low paid or moderately paid.

Not that many of them will die to make a difference especially as they are more likely to kark it soon anyway. Its all about the image.
This is a government of perception more than anything.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Desperate to be funny guy makes shit up. Again...awaits "Last word" attempt. Again.

My views on Boris have been out there since pre referendum. My views on Gove haven't changed, he's a twat but competent. And so on.

Your own views on anything/anyone but me?

You've quoted the wrong person dear boy.

3 pints of Substantial Meal Landlord.
And F U Boris.
1606474030081.png

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
The death figures are disingenuous to say the least, "deaths with a positive Covid result in the past 28 days", basically take a test on Monday, get a positive result Tuesday, get hit by a bus on Thursday = Covid. The figures need to be seperated out, dying of Covid, dying with Covid but not of and just plain simple dying of other reasons and only using the dying of Covid for the briefings given on telly.
People may say this but with your example the cause of death would be the bus, additional factors can be added which could be while having Covid. The main cause of death if no other factors were known could be Covid or it may be referred to the coroner.

Serious question ...
Why don't the government improve the return on Premium Bonds ?
Loads of people with their money currently sitting in banks doing jack all would buy them then

Serious question ...
Why don't the government improve the return on Premium Bonds ?
Loads of people with their money currently sitting in banks doing jack all would buy them then
Because as with most matters of investment, they are as crap as anything else. Borrowing at zilch interest rates means close to zilch at our end. Put simply, I was getting 9/10% interest in the 80's but our mortgage rate hovered around 13%-ish.
Only way to make your money grow is buy/sell....stuff....anything that turns a coin.
"Job Lots" of Hornby-Triang junked abound...you can bet they will be fettled up a bit and pumped back out at a decent wee drip-fed earner.
Ebay is full of utter cack bought one day....from Ebay probably...and flogged later.
Couple years back I bought a horrid little mahogany box for a couple of quid, sanded & varnished it, polishedup the brass, and got £40.00 for it. Hour's work I think.
I may well do stuff like that again in the Spring. In real terms, I'm watching a 5 figure pension lump de-value by circa RPI 2 or 3%. Thinking....of buying to let a small 1-2 bed summat which would yield 7-9% but I cannot be arsssed with the inherent issues.....ofpeople being utter knunts.

Last edited:
Can’t speak for other professions but loads of the public sector have done very badly for years, pensions messed with, few if any rises. Nobody would mind losing out now and then if it would help others.
Teachers have suffered from lack of, or below inflation pay rises for the last 2 decades, increased workload ( the marking and assessment they’re expected to do alone would take 40 hours a week), and worse behaviour in kids and parents. Yeah, but holidays... well an extra unpaid hour a week equates to an extra unpaid week per year and every minute of every day is accounted for. yeah, but teachers grrrr...