Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I wanted loonies in government, I'd have voted Labour

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
As a lifelong Tory (and occasional LibDem) voter, not to mention a scourge of the Boris Grrrrrrrr brigade, I have to say that I'm fast losing patience with the current shower of shoite which passes for the UK Government.

I want to hear a very clear definition of the point at which government will concede that the damage we're taking in the current pandemic by following the approved policies exceeds the damage we would otherwise take and I want to have confidence that our decision-makers are sufficiently hard-boiled to make the right choices when that point is reached. I don't believe that the current administration, or any other available alternative, will provide either.

I think the Tories are currently in the middle of a massive misjudgement/collapse of leadership:

So that's you, in Boris' shoes then. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. He's the guv'nor today, but you doubt anyone else will deliver too?

That's it then, all over.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
So that's you, in Boris' shoes then. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. He's the guv'nor today, but you doubt anyone else will deliver too?

The country takes on crippling debt for a pandemic so we increase public sector pay?

Regardless of where you are on the political spectrum, that's economically illiterate.

The country takes on crippling debt for a pandemic so we increase public sector pay?

Regardless of where you are on the political spectrum, that's economically illiterate.

Most pubic sector payrises will be capped at 1% next year; tbh, although I am not delighted by this, I do understand it, not least because I have been working from home in Wiltshire for nearly 8 months now, drawing a London payscale salary despite having only been to London 3 times. If I haven't exactly made hay while the sun shines, I am at least a lot better off than so many others.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Most pubic sector payrises will be capped at 1% next year; tbh, although I am not delighted by this, I do understand it, not least because I have been working from home in Wiltshire for nearly 8 months now, drawing a London payscale salary despite having only been to London 3 times. If I haven't exactly made hay while the sun shines, I am at least a lot better off than so many others.

Genuine question - how do you think it would be received if salaries were cut in line with private sector impacts? The self-employed took a 7.5% cut at Hammond's hands.

Genuine question - how do you think it would be received if salaries were cut in line with private sector impacts? The self-employed took a 7.5% cut at Hammond's hands.

The system would end up even more dysfunctional than it is now. A mass work-to-rule disguised as diversity and inclusion and health and safety.

HCL

War Hero

Dont worry, the way Debt Management sections of certain govt departments are (illegally) banging out demands and attachment of earnings for repayments, flouting the laws and regulations surrounding debt recovery, to say nothing of ignoring burden of proof, you'll soon see millions of people campaigning for the right to sell their kidneys and their children into indentured servitude to get the country's coffers back into the black.

There'll be record numbers of KCBS, KBS and CBEs, middling quantities of OBEs and a couple of MBEs for the plebs aplenty next Queen's birthday list unless, of course, some plucky idiot blows the whistle.

Many of the most exposed / frontline public-sector workers are going into a pay freeze, me too, for how long we don't know. Equate all this to a total and absolute home lockdown, buy what you need within four days then no movement, no toilet roll, no business, no earnings, job losses, no flights, no shipping, no imports, no exports, no shops resupplied, no NHS and no social events whatsoever for four weeks (or look up Protect & Survive for WW3 similarities). This would kill the virus, and so many families too. They're important for the economy, for themselves and for morale, and it would cost the economy billions.

What we've ended up with is an assessment of the national threat, risk and harm, countered by the need for economic and social survival. Boris isn't a wizard, he's just a bloke doing his best and taking the best advice from his experts.

Or, Elaine of Facebook, who has no qualifications but can get eight Maltesers in her mouth, could lend us her guidance. Again.

If you make me a substantial meal, which must be eaten before 2200, not 2300, and I can be joined by 5 friends, but 30 if someone is getting married, or 15 if someone has died, or is it the other way round? And we can go to the gym but not a church, or maybe we can, who knows? And you lock everyone down except those that you are too scared to tackle for fear of being branded racist, and you obviously let flights continue to come into the country even though we are in lockdown but don't bother testing the people off the planes, and you can sort me and my mates a bar that's open in Westminster with hot and cold running Thia' take away (delivered) which you can justify as you have done a bit of overtime, and you give me 1% of an MPs salary, I'll tell you how to sort it out.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Many of the most exposed / frontline public-sector workers are going into a pay freeze, me too, for how long we don't know. Equate all this to a total and absolute home lockdown, buy what you need within four days then no movement, no toilet roll, no business, no earnings, job losses, no flights, no shipping, no imports, no exports, no shops resupplied, no NHS and no social events whatsoever for four weeks (or look up Protect & Survive for WW3 similarities). This would kill the virus, and so many families too. They're important for the economy, for themselves and for morale, and it would cost the economy billions.

What we've ended up with is an assessment of the national threat, risk and harm, countered by the need for economic and social survival. Boris isn't a wizard, he's just a bloke doing his best and taking the best advice from his experts.

Or, Elaine of Facebook, who has no qualifications but can get eight Maltesers in her mouth, could lend us her guidance. Again.

Alternatively, accept that the alternative isn't total lock down and that the rest of us need to avoid nuking the economy and need to take our chances with a virus that kills those with an average age of 80+.

As a lifelong Tory (and occasional LibDem) voter, not to mention a scourge of the Boris Grrrrrrrr brigade, I have to say that I'm fast losing patience with the current shower of shoite which passes for the UK Government.

I want to hear a very clear definition of the point at which government will concede that the damage we're taking in the current pandemic by following the approved policies exceeds the damage we would otherwise take and I want to have confidence that our decision-makers are sufficiently hard-boiled to make the right choices when that point is reached. I don't believe that the current administration, or any other available alternative, will provide either.

I think the Tories are currently in the middle of a massive misjudgement/collapse of leadership:

Grrr Boris?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Grrr Boris?
Possibly. Personally I was hoping for a more considered and pluralist view from posters as to why a government elected so overwhelmingly on a given manifesto is now applying the opposite analysis to address the position we're now in.

Rant on/
Public sector pay has been frozen , so no below inflation pay rise (nothing new there) except for the NHS, because nurses... There are around 300 000 nurses/care workers among the 1.5million NHS employees, one lives next door, she isn’t close to death with exhaustion, gets all the PPE she needs and gets paid for every hour she works. For most of the rest it’s just normal jogging. Yeah, but nurses...
Rant off/

Lockdown is slaying the economy without a doubt, but you’ve only got to look at the graphs to see that the current wave coincided with kids going back to school, so the choice is clear -
Lockdown hard, suppress the virus, ride the economic storm.
Unlock, hope the vaccine arrives soon and works, dig mass graves in the meantime.
Or something in the middle which is unlikely to please everyone...

or Elaine of Facebook’s clever idea.

Just because the alternative would completely and quickly bankrupt the country, both economically and socially, doesn't mean to say that the incumbents are doing an acceptable job.

Boris was our last remaining hope. He has absolutely shít the bed. And this is following on from the pure cancer that was Cameron and May.

Next election, we need a new party. The Conservative party are conservative in name only. They are effectively 'New New Labour' and are doing just as much damage as Bliar did the first time around.

A pox on all of their houses.

WRT the tiers and restrictions etc, I think, there is not, and cannot be any ultimately correct and surgical solution to this. Disease transmission has been identified as what’s prolonging this. The only decisive solution therefore is binary- total lockdown. The govt don’t want this, for obvious reasons but...still need to impose some measures. A bit like road traffic accidents and speed limits- you could bring the number down to zero by clamping ALL cars. Instead a few speed bumps are scattered here and there and certain limits imposed. Some then argue ‘why do I need to stick below 70 on a clear road / why can I have a pint with a meal at a funeral but not if...’.

I think the real message is, or ought to be “Look, just don’t take the fecking piss”.
Thats how I see it anyway.

Just watch how people will react if a child in Bradford dies of covid and it turns out he got it off his mother who had her haircut at that hairdressers refusing to close.

anglo

LE
Rant on/
Public sector pay has been frozen , so no below inflation pay rise (nothing new there) except for the NHS, because nurses... There are around 300 000 nurses/care workers among the 1.5million NHS employees, one lives next door, she isn’t close to death with exhaustion, gets all the PPE she needs and gets paid for every hour she works. For most of the rest it’s just normal jogging. Yeah, but nurses...
Rant off/

Lockdown is slaying the economy without a doubt, but you’ve only got to look at the graphs to see that the current wave coincided with kids going back to school, so the choice is clear -
Lockdown hard, suppress the virus, ride the economic storm.
Unlock, hope the vaccine arrives soon and works, dig mass graves in the meantime.
Or something in the middle which is unlikely to please everyone...

or Elaine of Facebook’s clever idea.

"Lockdown hard, suppress the virus, ride the economic storm".

Just slows it down doesn't stop it

"Unlock, hope the vaccine arrives soon and works, dig mass graves in the meantime".

That is the way to go,

It boils down to,
Nobody knows what to do to defeat this virus