If I Knew Then...

If you knew than what you know now - bearing in mind the morals of today - would you still have joined up?

In my case it's a pretty close call but - with the knowledge that joining up straightened me out and prevented me from bothering the penal system - I have to say, yes I would. :soldier:

No. I'd have got a job with local Government..doing fuck all for a big pension.

ugly

LE
Precisely, I'd have retired by now or been paid off under options for whatsit!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Absolutely. When I joined the withdrawal from Aden was on the go, Britiain had had a few bloody withdrawals from other countries. I can honestly say that when I joined up the morality of any of these conflicts was the furthest thing from my mind.

I suspect that if I was a youngster today then I would feel the same way and join up.

I would have changed a few things:

I would have stayed in the Cavalry. I left in '89 because I could never envisage using tanks in any theatre except WW3 (which wouldn't happen :roll: )
Think GW1 and the QRH rolling into Bosnia in '92.

Then I left the Army (RLC) in '99 because I couldn't be bothered sitting in some European shitehole or other being the UN's impotent plod.
So how did I that Telic and Herrick would happen? :x

I'd have joined up sooner, not got married and completed my 22. Between catching up with mates I served with and reading stuff on this site, I feel I've missed out on so much, even with the changes that have come about that I personally don't agree with (young sprogs today don't know they're born mutter mutter mutter :D ).

Grey_Mafia65 said:
I'd have joined up sooner, not got married and completed my 22. Between catching up with mates I served with and reading stuff on this site, I feel I've missed out on so much, even with the changes that have come about that I personally don't agree with (young sprogs today don't know they're born mutter mutter mutter :D ).
Quick Matron! She's out again!

I would have stayed in another 2 years, got my crown on top of my 3 stripes and then taken the huge wedge that came from the Options for Change package.

Hindsight.

Arrse. :lol:

Damn being sobre. I would have to have my wife and kids with me, but would love to have stayed in, but I met my mrs on embarkation leave for my last jolly before leaving. So if I had stayed in, bollocks, things are easier with alcohol sometimes.

Yes I'd have stayed in too.

Fat_Cav said:
Grey_Mafia65 said:
Check the cap badge... I AM the Matron! :twisted:

Grey_Mafia65 said:
Fat_Cav said:
Grey_Mafia65 said:
Don't get delusional with me!!
Takes your meds and get back in there, it's almost time for lounge Bingo.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Grey_Mafia65 said:
Fat_Cav said:
Grey_Mafia65 said:
Shades of Lunatics and Asylums........ 8O

Grey_Mafia65 said:
Fat_Cav said:
Grey_Mafia65 said:

Aaaaaaargh! Mafia!

Would definitely do it all over again, same Corps same trade, and despite what some people say would still love to be at 33

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hmm. If I hadn't got married, I'd not have left the cavalry and I'd probably have got the chop at Options For Change, with no civvy trade to look at and hundreds of other ex-cavs (and no doubt thousands of ex-infs) in the same boat.

If I'd known when I joined the cav what I know now, I'd most definitely have signed up then (during the Cold War). Knowing what I now, would I sign up now? That's a much harder question. The Cold War was easily justified. Our continued presence in the sandpits after all this time is another question.

Funny thing is, to go back much further ...

In 1971 I got the chance to play with computers at Sunderland Poly for a term. It was all well and good, but as I said to a mukker when we left, "What future is there in computers? What would we be doing with wer lives?" Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have made that mistake and I'd probably be where I am now or hereabouts, just without 14 years of memories and stories from my time.

I'd lay in extra quantities of Alka-Seltzer to cope with the massive hangovers! Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing from my Army days.

The only things I'd change have all occurred since I left the Army. I'd steer clear of a couple of idiots that I met along the way and I'd steer WELL clear of a couple of the companies for whom I've had the misfortune to work.

AlienFTM said:
...Knowing what I now, would I sign up now? That's a much harder question. The Cold War was easily justified. Our continued presence in the sandpits after all this time is another question.
I often wish I was younger and fitter so I could rejoin the regs or even just join the TA for a chance to get out there and do something instead of watching the news and feeling useless. Am I the only nutter who feels like that?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wHoSaIdThAt? The Intelligence Cell 1
Unknown_Quantity The Intelligence Cell 1
OldSnowy Army Reserve 32