If I Knew Then...

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by pongo6863, Jul 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you knew than what you know now - bearing in mind the morals of today - would you still have joined up?

In my case it's a pretty close call but - with the knowledge that joining up straightened me out and prevented me from bothering the penal system - I have to say, yes I would. :soldier:
  2. No. I'd have got a job with local Government..doing fuck all for a big pension.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'd have stayed in!
  4. got my vote.
  5. Agreed - would've stayed in.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Precisely, I'd have retired by now or been paid off under options for whatsit!
  7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Absolutely. When I joined the withdrawal from Aden was on the go, Britiain had had a few bloody withdrawals from other countries. I can honestly say that when I joined up the morality of any of these conflicts was the furthest thing from my mind.

I suspect that if I was a youngster today then I would feel the same way and join up.
  8. I would have changed a few things:

I would have stayed in the Cavalry. I left in '89 because I could never envisage using tanks in any theatre except WW3 (which wouldn't happen :roll: )
    Think GW1 and the QRH rolling into Bosnia in '92.

Then I left the Army (RLC) in '99 because I couldn't be bothered sitting in some European shitehole or other being the UN's impotent plod.
    So how did I that Telic and Herrick would happen? :x
  9. I'd have joined up sooner, not got married and completed my 22. Between catching up with mates I served with and reading stuff on this site, I feel I've missed out on so much, even with the changes that have come about that I personally don't agree with (young sprogs today don't know they're born mutter mutter mutter :D ).
  10. Quick Matron! She's out again!
  11. I would have stayed in another 2 years, got my crown on top of my 3 stripes and then taken the huge wedge that came from the Options for Change package.

Arrse. :lol:
  12. Damn being sobre. I would have to have my wife and kids with me, but would love to have stayed in, but I met my mrs on embarkation leave for my last jolly before leaving. So if I had stayed in, bollocks, things are easier with alcohol sometimes.

Yes I'd have stayed in too.
  13. Check the cap badge... I AM the Matron! :twisted:
  14. Don't get delusional with me!!
    Takes your meds and get back in there, it's almost time for lounge Bingo.
  15. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Shades of Lunatics and Asylums........ 8O