If I joined the TA but didn’t complete phase one training then do I have to state that I was in the military on police checks or immigration docs

I’m 30 now. When I was 18 I wanted to be in the TA. I embarrassingly didn’t even complete phase one training. I was about to leave but my unit disbanded just before I could and I got given the option to either move units or an honourable discharge if I remember rightly. I chose the discharge.
Now fast forward I’m trying to move to Canada. On my application It’s asking if I served in the armed forces. I’m assuming that because I got issued an army number then I technically was classed as being in the armed forces is that right? Or do you have to complete training?

For one of my police certificates I stated yes. Not sure if that would affect my application. If the two conflict.

I’d appreciate any help/information. If I get this wrong then I might not get my residency in Canada.

Teeblerone

War Hero
(I'm not an expert) stick with what you've already put on the police certificate, they might very well crosscheck.
Or speak to the Canadian Embassy/Consulate, obviously.
Good luck!

Generally that question is to ensure you aren’t a deserter but also to have an eye on who is coming into the country with military training (Terrorism, spying etc).

be truthful
They just want to know that you aren’t still a member

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I’m 30 now. When I was 18 I wanted to be in the TA. I embarrassingly didn’t even complete phase one training. I was about to leave but my unit disbanded just before I could and I got given the option to either move units or an honourable discharge if I remember rightly. I chose the discharge.
Now fast forward I’m trying to move to Canada. On my application It’s asking if I served in the armed forces. I’m assuming that because I got issued an army number then I technically was classed as being in the armed forces is that right? Or do you have to complete training?

For one of my police certificates I stated yes. Not sure if that would affect my application. If the two conflict.

I’d appreciate any help/information. If I get this wrong then I might not get my residency in Canada.
You cannot be 'technically' in/out (of) the military. You swore an oath, you had a Regimental number, you got paid by the Ministery of Defence. You have served in the Armed Forces, you are actually entitled (believe it or not) to a 'Veterens' Badge.

You appear to have correctly filled in one form, (what is a 'Police Certificate anyway?') why would you not want to correctly fill in another form?

As @bobthebuilder says above me, be absolutely honest on your application.

It's hard to say if omitting this detail would cause a problem should you then be found out and I can't see any reason why inclusion would cause a problem. So to cover your bases just mention it. Your time in and discharge are legit so there is nothing to hide.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Why would Canada care if you'd spent some time in the British AR? They will care if you're a proven liar however.

You cannot be 'technically' in/out (of) the military. You swore an oath, you had a Regimental number, you got paid by the Ministery of Defence. You have served in the Armed Forces, you are actually entitled (believe it or not) to a 'Veterens' Badge.

You appear to have correctly filled in one form, (what is a 'Police Certificate anyway?') why would you not want to correctly fill in another form?

I assuming that by Police Certificate, he’s referring to the ACPO records check that is used to support visa applications. When you apply for one, you have to list your former addresses. You’re supposed to also declare service, not least because it covers period where you have no fixed address.

IMHO, whether the OP declares his service for an ACPO check is totally irrelevant. All that ACPO produce is a certificate that the subject has no criminal convictions. But for his Canadian visa application, he has to declare.

He didn't complete Phase one training and was about to leave. The unit disbanding is irrelevant. It's like saying you volunteered to tour but they didn't pick you, you wouldn't then claim you did ops.
The fact that he didn’t complete Phase 1 is entirely irrelevant to his question, which is about declaring service for immigration to a foreign country.

He joined, was attested into, paid by and discharged from the British Army, however briefly. For the purposes of the question he has to respond to, he served. He has to be honest on his application.

Ayatollah

Old-Salt

Tell the ruth if you don't disclose the information it will bite you in the backside and very possibly disqualify you from being accepted.
And don't forget the Mounties always get their man!

If your police docs say you served, that is what you say on the application. One of the main reasons that particular question is asked here in Canada is because some who immigrate have an obligation to do some form of national service in their country of origin or are sometimes still in their reserves. The Canadian government just wants to make sure of where you stand with regards to service, ie; if you happened to go home would you be stopped from coming back to Canada until you spend time in uniform.

Last edited:

Bee Companeeee

Old-Salt
The OP served as a member of the Territorial Army (which was part of the Army) from date of attestation to date of discharge. Therefore he has prior military service with HM Forces. End of.

Anything else is opinion.

He's not trying to hide anything or big himself up.

OP =disclose it on your application and good luck if you successfully make the move.

I had to get one for the US greencard application process. ACPO, or whatever they call themselves now, dispense them in exchange for wonga.

For immigration paperwork you technically need one for every country you have ever lived in. However, as a member of HM Forces even if serving abroad you are considered to be [legal term coming up] Ordinarily Resident in the UK as you are subject to UK law and therefore only need an expensive piece of paper from ACPO.

You can go to your local police station and get someone with rank to write a letter, on official constabulary headed paper, basically saying you have no criminal record , convictions, or outstanding criminal cases against you. But, the ACPO thing is better.

Latest Threads