If Given The Offer, Would You?

I don't agree with capital punishment and would not volunteer for the task. ..... were I ordered to do it I suppose I would man up and get on with it but don't think thats very likely in this day and age.

Trotsky

From the article said:
Five executioners -- certified police officers who volunteered for the task -- stood about 25 feet away, behind a wall cut with a gun port, using .30-caliber rifles. One was loaded with a blank...
Surely the one with the blank round would have realised?

Arte_et_Marte said:
From the article said:
Five executioners -- certified police officers who volunteered for the task -- stood about 25 feet away, behind a wall cut with a gun port, using .30-caliber rifles. One was loaded with a blank...
Yeh, but if he keeps schtum, then they can't prove which person fired it, so you can't say any one person was the cause of death as there is the element of uncertainty.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Arte_et_Marte said:
From the article said:
It was a wax round so would still have a recoil. However, the firer could possibly have noticed the difference.

They use Winchester 94 with .30-30 Winchester ammo. Lighter recoil than .30-06, .303, or 7.62 rounds.

In case anyone across the pond is wondering why only Utah; Utah is the only state with a Mormon majority. It apparently was once part of Mormon theology that one could only atone for a sin involving shedding blood by shedding blood oneself. Apparently the Mormons abandoned that doctrine but the provisions remained in Utah law.

Before they abolished legal Execution in UK the Gov did a review and said Hanging was the most effective way.
In his biography Pirrepoint said he entered the condemned cell at 09.00 and before Big Ben Had stopped chiming 9 the condemmed was dangling on the rope.

john

coxy93 said:
I've never understood why only 1 rifle is loaded with blank, surely there should be 4 blank and 1 ball
Yes it must be difficult for you to understand.

jonwilly said:
Before they abolished legal Execution in UK the Gov did a review and said Hanging was the most effective way.
In his biography Pirrepoint said he entered the condemned cell at 09.00 and before Big Ben Had stopped chiming 9 the condemmed was dangling on the rope.

john
7 seconds was his record apparently...

The Americans seem to insist on reading out the death warrant and use methods that take ages to prepare... which can mean up to 20mins between entering the death chamber and the actual sentence is carried out! Must be torture... oh well.

It's o.k to be gung ho and say hell yes,I'd blow him away,I'd smoke him etc.,but,,what if the person is later proved to be innocent?You can't bring them back,can you?Even Pierrepoint admitted the death penalty was not a deterrent.Life should mean life,and nothing else,hard labour included,mimumium rations,no comforts,if a miscarriage is proved to have taken place,it can be rectified. I recently watched a program in which 3 lads,14yrs old,were bullied into confessing to a murder they didnot do,lucky for them,the defence team was a very good one,and discredited the prosecution,otherwise they faced life in jail,in some states the death penalty,what then?Would you happily have shot them and later simply said,oh dear,how sad,to bad,never mind,the state said they were guilty.Go ahead be gung ho,I still say the death penalty solves nothing.I fully understand that in this case he was guilty,however the death penalty doesnot provide a deterent.

DavidBOC said:
They use Winchester 94 with .30-30 Winchester ammo. Lighter recoil than .30-06, .303, or 7.62 rounds.

In case anyone across the pond is wondering why only Utah; Utah is the only state with a Mormon majority. It apparently was once part of Mormon theology that one could only atone for a sin involving shedding blood by shedding blood oneself. Apparently the Mormons abandoned that doctrine but the provisions remained in Utah law.
Utah removed the firing squad option some years ago. However, As this cnut has been on death row for TWENTY FIVE years, and it was an option at the time of his sentence, they had to stand by his choice. Still seems like a waste
of three live rounds and blank though. In these times of economic hardship, one to the back of the neck would have done.

Does the use of Twitter to distro the fac t that the execution hadbeenordered not concern anyone at all??

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
countymounty said:
It's o.k to be gung ho and say hell yes,I'd blow him away,I'd smoke him etc.,but,,what if the person is later proved to be innocent?.
He'd been on death row for 25 years
Even Saville could have produced a report on whether he was guilty or innocent in that time