Discussion in 'Infantry' started by tomahawk6, Oct 22, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The major source of death and injury continue to be IED's. Studies have found that in an IED blast the vulnerable area of the body is the forehead to the throat. It is critical for soldiers to wear goggles. In a recent incident in Baghdad during an IED detonation one soldier with goggles over his eyes
    sustained minor injuries. A second soldier who had not had his goggles in place lost both eyes due to blast pressure.
  2. Oddly it is now illegal to shoot on a civilian range without wearing goggles. Why not Army ranges too?
  3. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Which ranges are these Yorkie ?
  4. Many years ago they issued helmets because most injuries to soldiers were in the head. Then it was the body. Now it is face. It is not that the face is more vulnerable, it is because we have protected all the other bits.
  5. The increasing availability of fuel-air (aka thermobaric) weapons is also behind an increasing emphasis on blast injuries. These injure by flash or blast rather then by fragments, so conventional protection doesn't do you any good.

The Russians sell a wide range of RPGs and ATGMs with such warheads. They also do the TOS-1 - a T-72 with an armoured box full of big short range rockets on top. Apparently it's use during the destruction of Grozny was quite an eye-opener.

In the West we've been quite slow to adopt them, although I think the US have started to look at them seriously.
  6. Fuel air mixtures have been used for years, even by the West. Before the start of the war there was a public outcry because the military where going to use fuel/air bombs to clear the Iraqi trenches. To appease the people it was decided to just bulldoze the trenches instead.
    There is a good example of the Yank's biggest known as "the daisy Cutter" in the film Outbreak.
    Had a chance to have a play in Iraq myself using 55 gallon drums of oil and bar mines. :lol:
  7. Nope. May be range standing orders for that range, but there's no law involved. Took a bit of digging, but found some pictures from this year:

These are only normal glasses, not goggles (and yes, that pistol is legal in the UK)

And there's definitely no goggles on this bloke.
  8. Ok, it's only shotgun and clay target ranges at the moment which this law affects since 1 Jan 04.
  9. Just have to look at news footage of the Black Watch moving oop North to see how the RPG threat has developed. Check out the new armour.
  10. Isn't that just for their washing? :lol:
  11. 307

307 War Hero

I don't think the RPG threats 'developed' at all, there have been RPG launchers & rounds in massive excess in Iraq since the end of the war. That is the problem, arms are so easy to come by in Iraq. The new grill by the sides of warrior is a good idea just took the army a while to stick em on I guess. The big nasties in Iraq are when they use a couple of 155mm arty rounds as IEDs. God speed to the Black Watch anyway, I fear they're gonna need a lot of luck.
  12. It's a policy, mandated by the Sport's governing body (in other words, "do this if you want to play by our rules"), and not a law. They'll probably be using it to drive down insurance costs for their membership.....
  13. There is FA new about that armour. Using a stand-off grid has been in use since PIRA got their mitts on RPGs in the early 80s. It was called Op KREMLIN.

What is worthy of a mention is why the Yanks did not KREMLIN their wagons 18 months ago, and why it seems to have taken us so long to remember the lessons of the past.