Ieds and vehicles

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ugly, Jun 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Now this has been a bad month for 16 AA and I was wondering if we need to return to the drills we used in S Armagh in the 70's and 80's as in all on foot or by birds. I know its a pain tabbing with kit in that heat but then an ied if it goes off will only take out 1 or 2 at worst?
  2. I for one wouldn't relish extended foot patrols in 140-150°. There's definitely a requirement for armoured transport - whether it be wheeled or tracked. I think the Mastiff is the way ahead, but it's too big for urban ops. The only other alternative is...

... and lots of them. Dream on. I wonder how many of these the Bloody Sunday Inquiry and the Northern Rock bail out would have bought? :roll:
  3. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Just read about an UOR order for 157 vehicles that are to become Ridgeback. Basically it is a smaller, more town friendly Mastiff in 4x4 rather than 6x6.
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Doesnt seem very urgent does it?
  5. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

7. Just done some basic sums.

Cost of Apache AH1 = £60,000,000

Cost of Defender AH6 = £900,000

The cost of one Apache equals roughly sixty Defenders.

Bloody Sunday Inquiry = £188,000,000

That's roughly two hundred Defenders.

Northern Rock bail out = £110,000,000,000 (£110bn)

That's roughly...? ****ing lots of helicopters - one for each bloke.

It does go to show where this government's priorities lie... and we ain't it. Never again should these bastards be allowed to use the 'not enough money in the pot' argument.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Is that something like 500 ish helicopters for the northern wreck?
    If so I'd better keep paying my mortgage!
  9. It's more helicopters than we've ever had in service since the fcukers were invented! This is an absolute scandal. Needless to say... I am outraged. Future Lynx anyone?
  10. Having just returned from Herrick 7, the IED threat increased massivley over the winter and after Musa Qal'eh fell. The main focus here should not be what vehicles to travel in, but more education in search techniques. Alot of incidents can be avoided by carrying out correct Vulnerable Point identification, and search techniques. Also in my experience other arms need to realise that in todays modern warfare a metal detector is just as important as his rifle, and not to dismiss the drills taught as a minor priority. Things do not help in again the lack of equipment, for example certain search equipment that i can not specify on line that should be available for all sub units. Im not an arm chair ranter but have first hand experience in this and i feel absolutly gutted every time i hear more soldiers die. Top tip, if your a commander going out to theatre, practice as much as you can and rape your nearest ATO or RESA for infomation, they are more than happy to help and are invalubale. Do not rush to your taskings, the war will wait for you. If someone has a gut feeling, trust it. Dont put pressure on lead call signs, they will rush things. Metal detect your way forward, even if your assaulting a postion. And above all if your lucky enough to hace Engineer callsigns with you, use them.

Sorry for the rant!!!! I just want to help
  11. Excuse the spelling, im very tired!!
  12. Excellent advice and comment. Well said.