IEDD operators....Traditional Call Signs?

That's an Appointment Title, not a call sign!

I would have called it an identification title or a call sign. While it wasn't a specific call sign, it was certainly used on the net when asking for EOD assistance.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I would have called it an identification title or a call sign. While it wasn't a specific call sign, it was certainly used on the net when asking for EOD assistance.
Well it was an Appt Title when we used heliographs !

The call for Felix would have gone out to callsigns and he would have been sent for, and when he turned up he would have his own call sign for the net he was joining (sometimes just made up!). I have heard "Hello 0, this is Felix" ! :cool:

I was just seeing cuz an old warrant of mine asked me to find out thanks for some of the replies.... I was lookin for a more specific... Like in Canada armoured engineers have call sign "7" attached to them typically like "37A" depending which squadron the first number changes I was wondering if people had insight like that as to a history or IEDD

Thanks

X59

LE

CD05

Old-Salt
Well it was an Appt Title when we used heliographs !

The call for Felix would have gone out to callsigns and he would have been sent for, and when he turned up he would have his own call sign for the net he was joining (sometimes just made up!). I have heard "Hello 0, this is Felix" ! :cool:

I standby to be corrected but I'm pretty sure I remember hearing things like "that's Felix now at my location" "call sign Felix now on task" etc etc over the net when I served in NI from the mid 90's until roughly 2003.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Historically the call sign identifier is "Lima" for ATO EOD assets (L10, L21 etc) and has been used in most Theatres, with "Felix" a left over from the days of call sign nicknames (Greenfinch, Foxhound etc).

It might have been best to ask this question on in the RLC thread for obvious reasons.

CD05

Old-Salt
With secure comms, why not just call him ATO?

If I'm honest I have no idea, I was a young bayonet back then so talking on the net was a grown up thing that I would have tried my hardest to avoid, I just carried the general or whatever I was told to and followed the bloke in front of me wondering if I would bump into any family or friends . Back to the post though I'm pretty sure I heard the ATO being called Felix as a call sign. I'm not 100% but I'm as sure as I can be for something that happened planets ago.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

IN THE SAPPER'S FORUM? YOU TWÁT

Latest Threads