IED

#1
Fairly detailed description of US view and counter measures. Do we arrest many bomb layers/makers from these techniques?
Like the bit about deploying thousands of MRPV!
 
#2
OldRedCap said:
Fairly detailed description of US view and counter measures. Do we arrest many bomb layers/makers from these techniques?
Like the bit about deploying thousands of MRPV!
Dunno - got a link?
 
#9
The answer is - we did in NI. Remember the Bomb Int Teams which became the Weapons Int Teams. An organisation of RMP and Int Corps headed by an ATO where foresnics, police work and G2 came together.

It's all in a file marked SECRET!
 
#10
rickshaw-major said:
The answer is - we did in NI. Remember the Bomb Int Teams which became the Weapons Int Teams. An organisation of RMP and Int Corps headed by an ATO where foresnics, police work and G2 came together.

It's all in a file marked SECRET!
And the lessons were not learned:

Mr. Alam helped, and so became a target. Following a weekly routine, he spent a recent Saturday with his family at home north of Kabul and was returning to his checkpoint that afternoon when the bomb exploded under his truck, dead center.


msr
 
#11
C-IED is the big thing at the moment. We now have a C-IED task force, where it was merely the JFEOD Group.

The aim is to deal with the situation before the bang, rather than in the NI type scenario of years ago when we collect the pieces and find the perpetrators after the fact.

The frustrating thing about C-IED operations is that the result is not really appreciated and because it is quite high up in the intelligence chain is not revealed to often.

There have been some awesome successes and anyone who has had a G2 threat brief will be aware of them.

On the ground, exploitation is the key and the reason why IEDD teams are called in to deal with devices rather than anyone just adding a few pounds of PE to the main charge and initiating it.

In short, it is working, you just won't be aware that it is.

25 members in a yank team! WTF do they all do?
 
#12
5 probably just make powerpoint slides...
 
#13
Perhaps someone should take it out of the file? Surely to Christos, we should be able to develop as the write up claims the Yanks are doing and as we apparently did in NI. It really looks as if the Taliban bomb department are going to win the war for them and we should be thinking beyond more heli and better armoured vehicles. Even an old fool like me can see that the enemy answer to better armour is bigger bang. No shortage of explosive as I understand it.
I do see that knowing who made a IED is all good and fine but laying hands on him is likely to be a much harder job.

(This post typed whilst earlier replies were unseen in the pipeline)
 
#14
dingerr said:
C-IED is the big thing at the moment. We now have a C-IED task force, where it was merely the JFEOD Group.

The aim is to deal with the situation before the bang, rather than in the NI type scenario of years ago when we collect the pieces and find the perpetrators after the fact.

The frustrating thing about C-IED operations is that the result is not really appreciated and because it is quite high up in the intelligence chain is not revealed to often.

There have been some awesome successes and anyone who has had a G2 threat brief will be aware of them.

On the ground, exploitation is the key and the reason why IEDD teams are called in to deal with devices rather than anyone just adding a few pounds of PE to the main charge and initiating it.

In short, it is working, you just won't be aware that it is.

25 members in a yank team! WTF do they all do?
We should have a drink sometime - bring your own light :D However the problem with the G2 gathered is actually passing it out - the Israelis are good at this we less so.
 
#16
davyskuller said:
Why do you need 5 in an IEDD team?!
Are you referring to a UK IEDD team?

Which level? JS or HT theatre.

Showing your ignorance there for one to be so self professed in the RESTs. Oh I forgot, you carried the ECM once.

I'm not going to explain the composition of an British IEDD team in any theatre for obvious reasons, apart from it's not 5 and never has been.

Now run along you big timing knobber and stop embarrassing the professional soldiers of your Corps.
 
#17
rickshaw-major said:
However the problem with the G2 gathered is actually passing it out - the Israelis are good at this we less so.
I think this is what we are trying to improve on. I'm not saying that we did things badly before. No one can deny the work that is done all across the spectrum in NI and the UK, however, things are different in other areas and I feel that we (the royal we) are a little guilty of complacency due to being so proficient in places like NI.

We seem to be adapting though which shows we have the capability and it is good to see that the focus is before the event as this is the best way of saving lives.

The US seems to have a good grasp on the C-IED aspect and we seem to be following in their footsteps.

As for the drink R-M, that would be great one day when I get off this merry go round of tours.
 
#18
You are telling me that 5 in an IEDD team in Afghanistan is completely necessary? ECM bod carries uber secret ECM that covers specific threats in U.K/N.I that have rarely/not been found in afghan so negates the need for one bloke. WIS doesn't always accompany but when he/she does he/she bags and tags which could be done by the No.2 and an infantry escort that could easily be provided by REST. Oh, btw, i'm currently on R and R and would think i am in a good position to comment on the make up of a C-IED team. Why so angry dingerr?
 
#19
davyskuller said:
You are telling me that 5 in an IEDD team in Afghanistan is completely necessary? ECM bod carries uber secret ECM that covers specific threats in U.K/N.I that have rarely/not been found in afghan so negates the need for one bloke. WIS doesn't always accompany but when he/she does he/she bags and tags which could be done by the No.2 and an infantry escort that could easily be provided by REST. Oh, btw, i'm currently on R and R and would think i am in a good position to comment on the make up of a C-IED team. Why so angry dingerr?
Not angry, just dispondent at having to put up with you. It is clear that you lack any knowledge of the roles of the IEDD team.

WIS/WIT do not form part of the team.

You are not in a good position to comment on the composition of an IED team as you are clearly clueless with your brief synopsis above. Your analysis and understanding of the roles of the team are way off. This shows your low understanding and therefore low position within your team structure.

Sapper Skuller stick to being the brew bitch and keeping quiet.

Explain to me why a RESA needs to be on the ground during IEDD operations.
 
#20
And we're off 8)

I am not in a position to really comment being a civvy barsteward these days BUT the ECM thingy won't just be a decision such as:

"Charles"

"Yes Colonel?"

"Fcuk the men around - give one of them an ECM rig to run around with. Should make 'em sweat a bit d'you think?"

"Excellent idea Colonel - I'll get on to it straight away!"

Or might there just be a teensy-weansy bit of G2 and thought on commercial component availability etc.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top