IED detection wand; what's the name?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Captain Cnutflap, Jun 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Could any arrsers tell me what the names of the man-portable IED detection jobbies are (in use with the British Army)? Thinking of the sort in the image below.

  2. ANA.

    • Like Like x 4
  3. I called mine "Alan".
  4. Why do you want to know?
  5. Those are not mine detectors in the photograph. The Major had lost his keys in the sandpit, that's all.
  6. Wah shield down - Vallon.
  7. Maybe they're on the ranges and a particularly nasty DS is making them find every bit of brass?
  8. I'm thinking of designing a back support type thing to relieve the weight on a soldiers arm. After watching that 'our war' thing on iplayer I heard some guy who'd been sweeping saying their arms end up hurting a ton, which means they end up having to take turns. It must also be distracting. I'd need to know the name of the model(s?) of sweeper(s) to get the dimensions so I can get in contact with a designer.
  9. HHH

    HHH LE

    I thought they were stone strimmers!
  10. Don't bother - unless you can make it cheaper than the bungee to yoke field mod that I've seen.
  11. Would you mind sharing any images, if you have any?
  12. Used one for 6 months as part of a REST if you need a sling/back support you need to MTFU and have a long look at yourself
    • Like Like x 6
  13. I was going to call you names for having to ask what It's called rather than just doing a simple bit of research.

    I changed my mind after seeing the advert for the TA in your sig block.
  14. if your designing some hardwear it will need to be mightly flexable as teh head needs to be kept low to the ground,

    the bungee will be very hard to beat
  15. My point is that if you relieve stress on a soldiers arm he can use the thing for longer and more efficiently. It's not a question of 'need', rather of 'well if you can improve capability, why not?'.

    I have been researching. The army website's come up with nowt, the wikipedia page for 'Modern british army equipment' is similarly disappointing and google searches also came up empty.

    Similar type things have been made before. An example that you may be familiar with are the MGs from Aliens (see below).

    I was maybe thinking something that would integrate with body armour. It just makes sense, to me; the arms are comparatively very weak parts of the body compared with the trunk, and the back. Why have the load on the limbs when it can be on stronger parts?

    Nb; the braces from Aliens were actually based on camera-carrying braces similar to the sort below.