Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Loathe it!

• Not got it yet.

• Microsoft are the spawn of the Devil.

• Total voters
Just downloaded IE 7 today, and am still trying to get used to it. On the whole though my first impressions are good.

I've heard that some of the new features are copied from Linux (tabs, for example).

Has anyone else got it yet?

What do you reckon? Better than IE 6? Firefox?

Firefox ripoff. What did you expect?

I've been using since Beta 2 came out about 3 and a bit months ago and its hugely better than IE6. Takes a bit of getting used to but tabs rock; the release version is considerably better than the betas.

I'm not a Firefox user - but it seems like MS have copied quite a few of their ideas...

On the whole, pretty good.

Hitlerwasabitnaughty said:
Firefox ripoff. What did you expect?
Yeah, just like Firefox totally ripped IE 5/6 off. :roll:

If an idea is good, provides useful feature and if users like it then obviously its going to be incorporated, they couldn’t not include tabs. Just because Firefox has some of the same features suddenly Microsoft are ripping them off?

And if that’s the case, what do you say to IE7's antiphishing filter and other security updates, that were, rather mysteriously included in the Firefox 2 beta as new features. Coincidently after the IE7 Beta1 was released, introducing these features as a first for browsers. :roll:

Its how the ******* industry works.

And as for Apple, piss off they and Sony are the worlds experts at stealing others ideas.

Like it so far. It looks clean and better organised, tabs and the ability to subscribe to RSS feeds are great features.

Just need to get used to the new locations for button like Home and Refresh.

The installation turned off the menu bar. It's still there you just need to make it visible by right-clicking on the toolbar. Personally I prefer to use the menu for selecting favourites rather than using the sidebar.

PsyWar.Org said:
The installation turned off the menu bar. It's still there you just need to make it visible by right-clicking on the toolbar. Personally I prefer to use the menu for selecting favourites rather than using the sidebar.
Or just tap your Alt key once to make it appear, and then tap again to get it to bugger off.

Scabster_Mooch said:
I used the beta version. Found it to be slow, and not very stable. Still, a huge improvement over the last version.
That may well be because you tried a beta version. Give the release a crack, its quite possible your issues were resolved.

I've just given IE7 a go. The first thing that struck me about IE7 is the lack of native support for mouse gestures. MS, WHy o why do you not listen? IE7, despite its cleaned up interface and tabbed browsing, is still playing catch up to browers like firefox and Opera - surprsing when you consider the resorces MS has access to...

Pros:

supposedly, it uses less memory than FF2.0.

Cons:

Not immediately obvious why it is better than firefox 1.5/opera 9+ Eg. No mouse gestures!!!

You've lost me there, what are mouse gestures?

The main reason no mouse gestures? Because its a niche market that quite frankly most people who know about them wont use, and the people who dont know about them wont understand them. Thus rendering them completly useless to 99.99% of users.

And keep in mind, IE7 has plug-in infastructure in place, so if mouse gestures suddenly become immensly popular, they can very simply be added.

Edit: Using a plug-in like say, this one? http://www.ieaddons.com/AddOn.aspx?cid=2&scid=69&aid=e45d943c-4b7d-49a6-8d55-d7f5fdc494ab

Firefox actually stole the idea of tabbed browsing off opera which had that feature about 3-4 years ago - and there were probably other browsers (mozilla on linux?) that had it before then.
I've been using the pre-beta, first beta release and then the second beta release, it's reasonably good. It occasionally has problems when a plugin or embedded material is coded for ie6, but I reckon I only get a problem once or twice a week.
No doubt MS will be suddenly releasing critical patch after critical patch for all the security flaws this will no doubt have...

Drago_Drake said:
The main reason no mouse gestures? Because its a niche market that quite frankly most people who know about them wont use, and the people who dont know about them wont understand them. Thus rendering them completly useless to 99.99% of users.

And keep in mind, IE7 has plug-in infastructure in place, so if mouse gestures suddenly become immensly popular, they can very simply be added.

Edit: Using a plug-in like say, this one? http://www.ieaddons.com/AddOn.aspx?cid=2&scid=69&aid=e45d943c-4b7d-49a6-8d55-d7f5fdc494ab
You are probably right to say that mouse gestures are not very popular now, but it is clearly catching on and catching on fast. If IE7 is supposed to halt the rise of FF/avant/maxthon/opera/etc, then it should at least be as functional as those browsers. Currently it isn't.

Further, the plug in you refer too doesn't work well with IE7 as it slows down IE7 considerably, and has on occasion even crashed IE7. Hence, IE7 is still behind FF et al. in terms of functionality. This is something that I, as a user, cannot comprehend given the amount of resources MS has at its disposal.

IMO, this functionality should be built into IE7.