IE 7 Shutdown

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by WhiteHorse, Feb 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Help,

Wifes laptop shutsdown IE7 without warning when I log in to ARRSE and some other sites.

Any advice? I'ts running XP Home, HP NC6220.

Cheers
    WH

2. Mine started doing that yesterday, a trojan warning popped up on my AV then proceeded to close it down and then having to restart. Has something sneaky wormed it's on way onto Arrse then?

3. Does it freeze up then shut down and restart?

Mine has been doing this for about a week now :?

4. msr

msr LE

5. Many thanks MSR, am running bit defender now.

6. No, IE7 shuts down, the rest of the laptop works a s normal, I can restart IE and use it ok, unitil I try to use a link in a window ie a link from the last 50 posts and bam shut down. Sometimes the second page opens then up comes the box to notify microsoft and goodnight IE7

7. Sounds like something different then.
    On MSR's advice I have installed Bit Defender and it found 2 Trojans immedietly.
    My computer seems to be running faster as well.
    I don't know if this will solve the involuntary 'shutdown' yet, but time will tell.
    Good luck.

8. I have AVG8 and its not found any trojans or virus.

9. As have I WH, but it found nothing.
    Bit Defender found 2 though, and I'm sure my computer is running faster.

10. msr

msr LE

Try this: http://www.malwarebytes.org

That's why I cannot recommend AVG.

msr

11. OK both loaded and run, nothing found, IE7 still crashing on Arrse. Any ideas?

12. Try running IE7 with no add-ons;
    Start Programs Accessories System Tools Internet Explorer
    (No Add-ons)

Edit (Off to bed) If that sorts it then you have to find which one is causing the problem.
    Right click IE desktop icon, Properties, Program tab, Manage add-ons.
    Start with non-microsoft add-ons and disable one at a time to find the problem.
    You can then uninstall/reinstall the associated programme which might sort it.

13. Mine has been doing that for a while now. Microsoft don't know what it is. Just keep sending the 'report problem to microsoft' and hopefully they will sort it out.

14. There seem to be problems with all IE browsers,from time to time.I switched to Firefox 2 years ago,and never looked back.

15. msr

msr LE