Idiots on trains

jim30

LE
This is more a rant to vent my spleen than anything else, but since returning to London from foreign climes, I have had multiple encounters with what can best be described as 'the general public' or 'Spiders family' on trains demonstrating weapons grade selfishness and stupidity and after today, I just need to let off steam.

Over the years I've seen some fabulously idiotic behaviour, ranging from having very loud mobile phone conversations about the planned hostile take over of a company (and loudly emphasising the need for discretion down the line), to which I promptly texted all the details to a friend who is a financial journalist who splashed the story, to the guy reading a 'CONFIDENTIAL' document on the tube on a particularly sensitive issue, in rush hour and surrounded by other people reading it too, and who seemed surprised when I asked him if that was really a good idea to read it in public.

The other week a friend told of how they were on a busy morning commuter train, one stop from the final destination. A well dressed middle class woman had parked an enormous buggy with more mobility and armour than a Chally2 in the aisle, blocking it for everyone else and preventing them from sitting down, and was sat next to young daughter. Suddenly, at top of voice, brat cries out 'mummy I need a wee'. At this point, mother turns to woman sat next to her, and aggressively demands said person vacate their window seat.

The woman moves, and suddenly a travel potty is produced and put on vacated seat, young daughter placed on potty and proceeds to 'do their business' on the potty. The kicker was that it turns out that child was wearing those potty training nappy things so could quite happily have done their business 'in situ' as it were, or even gone to the toilet that was just behind them. The sheer grossness of this is astounding - as is the irony that said parent likely worries about online paedophiles, but is happy to let her daughter get half naked in public where anyone could see.

The thing that pushed me over the edge was today, encountering the delightful person in the image below - who decided to plonk themselves down, take their shoes off and stick their feet on the chair and continue their phone conversation in a dialect that south park character Starving Marvin would be familiar with. I politely said 'please don't put your feet on the seats', to which she basically told me that she wasn't wearing shoes, and to get lost, and was incredibly rude down the phone about what I'd said to her to the person she was speaking to.
So as we approached the stop, I took said photo of her, tweeted it to the Railway and said train/carriage and asked if they could do something. As I got off, I showed her the tweet and she suddenly got rather upset and invited me to stick my head up her arrse (or front end, I wasn't sure from the language) and threatening me for taking her photo. I suppose my question would be based on that is - was I in there? :)

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
I told you not to take my photo, you b*stard.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
You use trains?

You deserve everything you get then.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
You need to get out more or get a hobby!

This is more a rant to vent my spleen than anything else, but since returning to London from foreign climes, I have had multiple encounters with what can best be described as 'the general public' or 'Spiders family' on trains demonstrating weapons grade selfishness and stupidity and after today, I just need to let off steam.

Over the years I've seen some fabulously idiotic behaviour, ranging from having very loud mobile phone conversations about the planned hostile take over of a company (and loudly emphasising the need for discretion down the line), to which I promptly texted all the details to a friend who is a financial journalist who splashed the story, to the guy reading a 'CONFIDENTIAL' document on the tube on a particularly sensitive issue, in rush hour and surrounded by other people reading it too, and who seemed surprised when I asked him if that was really a good idea to read it in public.

The other week a friend told of how they were on a busy morning commuter train, one stop from the final destination. A well dressed middle class woman had parked an enormous buggy with more mobility and armour than a Chally2 in the aisle, blocking it for everyone else and preventing them from sitting down, and was sat next to young daughter. Suddenly, at top of voice, brat cries out 'mummy I need a wee'. At this point, mother turns to woman sat next to her, and aggressively demands said person vacate their window seat.

The woman moves, and suddenly a travel potty is produced and put on vacated seat, young daughter placed on potty and proceeds to 'do their business' on the potty. The kicker was that it turns out that child was wearing those potty training nappy things so could quite happily have done their business 'in situ' as it were, or even gone to the toilet that was just behind them. The sheer grossness of this is astounding - as is the irony that said parent likely worries about online paedophiles, but is happy to let her daughter get half naked in public where anyone could see.

The thing that pushed me over the edge was today, encountering the delightful person in the image below - who decided to plonk themselves down, take their shoes off and stick their feet on the chair and continue their phone conversation in a dialect that south park character Starving Marvin would be familiar with. I politely said 'please don't put your feet on the seats', to which she basically told me that she wasn't wearing shoes, and to get lost, and was incredibly rude down the phone about what I'd said to her to the person she was speaking to.
So as we approached the stop, I took said photo of her, tweeted it to the Railway and said train/carriage and asked if they could do something. As I got off, I showed her the tweet and she suddenly got rather upset and invited me to stick my head up her arrse (or front end, I wasn't sure from the language) and threatening me for taking her photo. I suppose my question would be, a) was I in there? b) should I boldly go where I suspect only the RLC have gone before?

View attachment 287427

How poor are you to not travel in first class?

jim30

LE
No free tea and biccy and often declassified, If I won the lottery I would never use a commuter train again!

I took the sleeper London - Scotland recently in 1st class - that was terribly civilised getting a bacon roll and coffee and lying in bed watching the highlands roll by as I had breakfast.

Jim, just have the grace to accept that most people you encounter will be ignorant, selfish, stupid or all three, and on public transport doubly so.

Sadly I don't have a warehouse the size of the atlantic conveyor to sell ill gotten gains from to fund that sort of lifestyle :)

I can't remember (no joke) the last time I traveled pikey class on the trains when 1st is available.

You should have thrown her shoes out of the window & emptied the contents of both nostrils into her face.
I can't stand rude obnoxious people on trains & her behaviour shouldn't be tolerated.

I took the sleeper London - Scotland recently in 1st class - that was terribly civilised getting a bacon roll and coffee and lying in bed watching the highlands roll by as I had breakfast.

Did that just before Christmas, just because I could. Fantastic experience, one of the occasions when happy to chat with civilised people over dinner & wine, then breakfast watching the sun come up over the East Coast.

ugly

LE
You should have thrown her shoes out of the window & emptied the contents of both nostrils into her face.
I can't stand rude obnoxious people on trains & her behaviour shouldn't be tolerated.
Welcome to Southern, no opening windows

I can't remember (no joke) the last time I traveled pikey class on the trains when 1st is available.

Pushing the trolley down asking people like me what they would like to drink doesn't count as travelling first class, you know.

Last train I used in UK was 1994 Kings Cross - Newcastle. Never again, dogshit service, dogshit people, dogshit country.

**** London, I wish every night for another Blitz.

Latest Threads