Idiots guide to setting up home fileserver?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by 4(T), Dec 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent "how to" guide/check-list for setting up a home network? I have googled around, but there is such a mass of tekkie project stuff out there that i haven't found the simple solution I need.

FWIW, I have a reliable XP desktop that I want to use as a fileserver, about 4 or 5 XP laptops, 4 printers and a Vista business desktop that I use as games machine. I just want to link the lot together to have central file storage and back-up, and printer-sharing.

My flat has rooms - and the PCs - spread over three and a half floors, so I currently have to distribute broadband from the Netgear DG834 ADSL modem by using Advent electricity mains netbridges (which work very well indeed, by the way). The modem sits downstairs with the abovementioned XP desktop.

2. msr

msr LE

3. Its more cost-effective to buy a new printer than replace the ink cartridges...

Used to have a "home office" in three different countries at once. Add in a few special tasks - A3 printer - and some ex-works laptops, its surprising how it all adds up. In fact i just counted the ones gathering dust in cupboards and it seems i actually have eleven PCs and seven printing devices. Not that bad - one of the laptops is a mint Amstrad DD640 - remember those?!

4. Have you looked at "Windows Home Server". It is the M$ solution for what you are trying to do as it does automatic backups, allows sharing of folders, streaming of media, acts as a print server and remote access.

WHS was designed for the non technical market and you can get the S/W here in the US for $99. It sounds like the H/W you have at the moment would be sufficient to run it.

5. Have you got the same network name on all PC's and is the main PC shared and visible on the network?

6. Just had a go at networking everything.

The XP machines can see each other and share files/ printers - good old XP.

The Vista machine can see the other machines and access their files, but now demands a user name and password (which have never been set - its a sole user PC) for access to its own files. It is also now showing documents and settings on C: "inaccessible" even when I try and use it directly. No idea how it decided to do this. FNUCK I hate Vista!! :x :x :x :x

7. So many XP, 2000 and 98 boxes were owned using the netbios attack, which is piss easy. Thats why you should have a password set. Vista just inforces a basic level of security.

Set a password, ffs.