Idiot proof guide to refurbishing my cab interior.

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by thegimp, Jun 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've decided that I need to sound/vibration proiof the cab of my vehicle. Its fairly industrial but I want to get it done properly

I've got all the required noise killer, hardboard and vinyl.

The aim is to apply the sound killer sheeting but then cover with vinyl covered hardboard

Now I need to fine an idiot proof (with photos) guide to doing it

I've been googlin over the weekend but I'm just not getting anywhere

I fear its gonna involve templates and other technical stuff

Any links or advice appreciated

2. There's one somewhere for sound-proofing Landrovers. What type of vehicle are you talking about? Surprised you're going with Hardboard - is that intended to be your top layer or mid-layer?

3. I've got the sound/vibration proofing off the company that does the landy noisekiller

When I stripped the cab all I found was a shit layer of cardboard, and a two inch gap to the external bodywork

Hardboard is a step up as far as I can see, I'm gonna vinyl it, the panelling needs to be thin and shapeable as the cab is a bit of a strange shape

HAve you got any alternatives to hardboard

4. Sounds like French/Birmingham build quality!

The Landy noisekiller stuff is very good, if it's from the same company it should help. Hardboard sounds like a good option - just make sure it's well secured so you don't get "drumming" from it vibrating. A manufactured product like hardboard or MDF should be better for that.

5. Egg cartons stuck to everything provide cushioning and sound proofing, and if any thing was ever made idiot proof they would only go out and make a better idiot.

6. What type if vehicle is it?
    Are you just fitting a bulkhead behind the driver and front passenger seats?

7. I'm doing bonnet, engine space, bulkhead, cab floor and all cab including walls and roof

I've got a variety of material, foam/lead/foil for the engine space, egg box type foam for the cab walls and roof

Vehicle is an Ural 375d

8. [​IMG]

Got your work cut out there.
    Hopefully you've got a sliding bevel gauge.
    That will help cutting your angles. Rather than using one piece of hardboard/MDF to do one section of your vehicle I'd suggest using two pieces. ie if your bulkhead is 4ft high, fit the 2ft bottom half first. Make your own templates using an easily worked piece of 6mm hardboard.
    The template would only have to be 2 ft by 1ft. Once you have them cut to fit the inside of your vehicle, transfer the measurements to the board you are using.
    If you have to go round a curve, hold a pencil between finger and thumb, then run the back of your finger around the curve, obviousley making sure the pencil is transcribing a line on your hardboard template. If it's a wide curve use all four fingers, It doesn't matter if you get it wrong, the whole point of using easy to work hardboard, is that it's cheap and mistakes can be righted in no time with the use of a rasp
    To fix your timber in place, there are now self drilling screws (not self tappers) Saves loads of time, just be aware of what is behind the steel you are screwing into.
    Available from any decent builders merchants (not seen them in B&Q though)
    That makes perfect sense to me, but I'm a bit monged out on the cooking sherry. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Any questions and I'll be happy to answer them

9. Brief update and request for further advice

I've sound/heatproofed the lot, the bulk head was easy to vinyll hardboard as it was flat. I am now looking at the roof which needs some sort of lining, the hardboard option is way way too stiff.

What is the specific stuff I need to get my hands on to sort out a vinyll covered lining. the sh_t I took out was like compressed card.

It needs a degree of give/flexibility

Any links, companies or material details greatfully received

10. He he he hoofin

The sound system is a little less obvious

11. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Could always use Kingspan for the interior sound proofs it loads and a great insulator

12. currently 3/4s through puttingin the roof and wall panels, using mounting card vinyl covered, slowly but surely

Will bang out a phot once I get on a bit more