IDF's Gay Pride Facebook photo stirs controversy

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Noir, Jun 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Israel's Military Proudly Posts Photo of Two Soldiers Holding Hands | Advocate.com

Israel's military posted a photo to its official Facebook account that may be a first for any fighting force.

"It's Pride Month," the caption reads, from the Israel Defense Forces. "Did you know that the IDF treats all of its soldiers equally?"

The photo from Monday shows two male soldiers walking together, holding hands. And it already has more than 8,000 likes, 6,000 shares and more than 1,000 comments because of the inevitable controversy.

The IDF has allowed gays and lesbians to serve openly since 1993, when it passed an anti-discrimination policy. That's the same year that "don't ask, don't tell" was signed into law in the United States.

The Times of Israel established that the photo was staged as part of a shoot for the military, and that only one of the men in the image is actually gay. That has some in the comments calling it "pink washing," a term used to describe using pro-equality stances to overshadow the ongoing conflict with Palestinians.

“The photo reflects the IDF’s open minded attitude towards soldiers of all sexual orientations," a military spokesman told the Times. "The IDF respects the privacy of the soldiers featured in the photograph, and will not comment on their identities.”

Attached Files:

2. Arik will be on here in a minute to explain the degree of the problem.

3. You could tell they were Irons just from the state of those berets.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I wonder will Hamas now respond in kind?

5. I doubt it. Muslims don't approve of homosexual sex between adults.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FFS!

Walking around in public like that! It's discgraceful!

Now get yer berets on yer heads and get that phone off yer ear!

7. I'll let Keith Chegwin do the talking:

8. Keith Chegwin shouldn't be allowed to breathe let a lone speak!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Another sickening decline in standards and morals . They can bum all they want but they should do it in decent pressed rig . Clearly not enough IRONS in the IDF if that shambles is anything to go by.

I bet he has a filthy barrel too . :cheers:

• Like Like x 3
  10. I thought the gays were supposed to be neat?

11. Bear in mind they were walking away from a 12 hour contact with the Arabs...

12. That put me in mind of the character "Sweet William" when he tells Sharpe, who had commented on the shit order Sweet Williams men were in, Sweet William repled "men are dirty, rifles are clean.

13. Thats Gayism that is!

Are you homophobic?

14. No, he's right, it's all there in the handbook: neat, flamboyant attire, giving off a scent of faeces and Joop Homme cologne, fondness for showtunes, the lot. If they fail on average more than one standard out of four, they get hauled into a hollow square of saucy-looking Guardsmen and have their Judy Garland records ceremonially destroyed.

• Like Like x 1