IDF War Warning

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Jun 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Jerusalem Post:

With Iran racing toward nuclear power and IDF preparations for the possibility of a conflict with Syria and Hizbullah in high gear, the Home Front Command plans to launch a publicity campaign to prepare the public for war.

Within a few weeks it intends to inform the public about what people need to do in the event of attack.

The campaign was not connected to a specific event or threat but was meant to brace the public for war in general, senior IDF officers said.

"Our job is to prepare for an all-out war," Col. Hilik Sofer, head of the Home Front Command Population Division, told The Jerusalem Post Wednesday. "We prepare for a wide range of possibilities since it doesn't make a difference where the threat comes from."

In March, the Home Front Command, the Israel Police, Magen David Adom, the Fire and Rescue Services and other emergency services held a two-day exercise throughout the country that dealt with extreme scenarios, including mega-terrorist attacks and nonconventional missile attacks.

The drill was the country's largest ever and implemented lessons from the Second Lebanon War last summer.

"Home Front Command To Get Public Ready For 'All Out War'" by Yaakov Katz. 31 May 2007
    http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1180527968263&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/Printer

2. This reminds me of when the knobbers used to don gas masks every time there were US airstrikes on Saddam in the late Nineties.

Its all part of the pantomime, orchestrated from Washington, although thankfully the debacle of Iraq has made people less susceptible to these shenanigans.

3. Well Saddam firing 40 or so scud missiles IIRC at major Israeli population centres with their having no idea what they might be loaded with also might have had something to do with it. But what the hell, lets just ignore that and trot out a few tired old snide comments about them eh? Cretin.

4. I might add here that Syria apparently holds the dubious honour of being world leaders in the development of chemical weapons. I expect the S10s are already issued...

So, shall we try and do a bit of crystal ball gazing?

Pres Assad wants a bit more credibility on the Arab Street. the easiest way to do this is to be able to claim that he has beaten Israel on the battlefield.

Syria knows it can't win if it invades Israel with land forces - there will be no rules of engagement to hold back the IDF, who are very well equipped and doubtless have sufficient defensive positions prepared to make the Maginot line look like a line in the sand. But...

Aha! :idea: What if you can provoke Israel into invading Syria? Now, how would you do that :?

I know! Get your Hezbollah minions to start firing long range artillery into Israeli towns. When the rest of the world tells you to stop them, say that you can't control "the rogue elements" and that you have no idea where they are. Media opinion will believe this, as why would a third rate sh1tehole like Syria take on the IDF?

Israel will eventually be forced into invading to try and stop the bombardment, and then you can operate a scorched earth policy, sacrificing as many of your civilian population as necessary, until international opprobrium makes Israel withdraw. Massive boost to your popularity with arabs everywhere!

When to do this? Well, internal Israeli political factors aside, there's US and UK elections just around the corner, What if you have your little war in the run-up to these? Your friends the Democrats and Neue Arbeit will fall over themselves to prove their pro-arab credentials, given the shambles in Iraq - Job's a good 'un!

I do hope I'm wrong about this - we'll have to wait and see.

5. The jihad walt posts again, claims to know high ranking DFLP.

Heres a taste of what the jihad walts mates in the DFLP do "Its biggest attack came in 1974 when, disguised as members of the Israeli Defence Force, guerrillas infiltrated a school in Ma'alot shooting dead 27 people and wounding a further 134. "

6. CM. please add to the possible scenario for another kick-off that it will be al-queda elements who will look to aggravate with artillery. depends somewhat on how it goes in iraq? will the islamic revolution, call it what you will, get to the oil rich countries of the western gulf? or press upon the borders of nato's eastern flank, turkey, who have been tooling up, making diplomatic noises about events in iraq etc., recently.

also there are elements within the israeli general staff who really want to make sure that any potential aggressor understand deterrent capability, and want another go therefore, and have been re-arming and training relevant units intensively, not least because the element of surprise has been lost (nasrallah, with good reason, was surprised by the recent israeli retaliation).

not forgetting us, and its allies large and small, strategy in the war on terror etc., and the safety afforded to insurgents (?), i'd call them something else, by the hinterlands of iran and syria.

so its a dreadful maybe.

7. That was the early 90s, unless I've missed some.

NTM

8. Dirka Dirka muhammad ali

9. Some good points there LP - I think AQ would probably like to claim a bit of the glory, although that might mean joint / coordinated ops with Hezbollah, and I'm not sure they'd be able to get over the whole Sunni / Shia thing.

I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to try a direct conventional attack into Israel though - it just wouldn't work. (IDF would effectively be fighting with the gloves off, and the US Army is only a short flight away). Provoking them out of their borders would be the sensible option. We're probably looking at another Limited War in the same mould as the Lebanon fracas, only this time watch out for the IDF being a lot more savvy with the media and ROE.

I think Assad saw what happened in the Lebanon, and wants to follow the same formula.

10. You what now? *wonders how he missed this*