Idf holidays

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by oscar1whisky, Jan 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just back from a holiday in Israel and looking for an excuse to go back, I found the IDF's English language website.

Apart from general bumf about the IDF, it offers 3-week "holidays" working for the IDF in support roles like catering/stores/workshops etc, free food and accom and some working dress.

Details on the website, but have any ARRSErs done this? I'd appreciate more info, as the "volunteers" on the site all appear to be American ladies-of-a-certain-age.

Arik, if you see this please pm with details.
  2. PM just sent
  3. What's this? I lived in Israel for 6 months last year and definitely plan on going back. This sounds like something I would be interested in doing. Do you have any links?
  4. Yeah, I googled it up and just found that out! Ah well, not too fussed. Looks like it's back to Kibbutz for me!
  5. Why doesn't the British Army take this up?

3 weeks voluntary cooking (freeing up chefs for ops), getting stuff sorted in store rooms etc, and a spot of gardening.

And it would could encompass a spot of teaching civvies about our Armed Forces. Cheaper than UOTC at the very least...
  6. I am quite interested in this. Off to Israel in Sept on a battlefield tour. Would not mind a 3 week visit. Was there in 87 on a kibbutz. Arik, would be grateful if you could pm me some details too. Thanks
  7. Arik,

I have a son looking to do something August 2012 onwards so any info would be appreciated
  8. I remember hearing of this some time back, might have been called SAr El or somethng similar, They did want an administration fee when they found out I wasn't jewish ?
  9. I am Jewish and so is my wife :)
  10. You will find information on the IDF official website in the English language section. There are various programmes: Sarel is for older people and Marva for younger people (both I would of thought should have security caveats though I am not sure)

Alternatively working on a kibbutz or moshav are a great experience. There is (or used to be) a kibbutz office in London for information.
  11. The IDF website (English version) gives details of the various schemes; for those of us not quite up to running round the ulu with a gat, try Sar-El Volunteers for Israel. IIRC the UK rep is in Manchester.
  12. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Israel..........Israel. I was looking forward to a couple of weeks in Ballyshannon or at least a run around Lebanon with the other IDF before it falls apart
  13. my local leftie is an anti zionist he's still trying find out who sent his name to the idf :)