Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IDF Gets New Sniper Rifle

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
The DAN, a bolt-action in .338 Lapua Magnum:

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2014/06/11/iwi-introduces-338-sniper-rifle/

IWI-DAN-1.jpg

Ooh shiny. It doesnt look as much fun as dealing with necky middle-class hippies and 12year old stone chuckers as the tried and tested medium of bulldozer. GTA for a day job, bliss.

Eerily reminiscent of the current Remington MSR. I think I hear the rumble of the lawsuit bus.

Still, nice gat and I imagine it'll be a sight cheaper than the Remy as the Israelis are building it.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

It is externally very similar to the MSR, I wondered if it was a licensed production run, but then bolt actions have been around for so long, in so many variations, a case of copying would be hard to prove, unless the rifle had some new state of the art improvement. Remington are very good at rebadging foreign rifles as their own "all merkin" product, so tough titty!

Eerily reminiscent of the current Remington MSR. I think I hear the rumble of the lawsuit bus.

Still, nice gat and I imagine it'll be a sight cheaper than the Remy as the Israelis are building it.

And very similar to the Accuracy International AX

Duke_of_Kaos

War Hero
Wah shield up, all of our Sniper Rifles are bolt action (L115) as are most of the ones in service world wide. HK do make a semi but more of a designated marksman rifle compared to the 1000yard plus rifles used by most.

Sent whilst the sand is out of the wifi.

Surely it's 8.59mm being a military rifle.

Multiple target acquisition. Rapid follow up shots without loosing sight picture, sniper able to return fire in a contact. Mucho more effective out to the 600 m range, which is the average range of 7.62 sniper fire, longer range rounds like .338 I'm not talking about. A pimped up 7.62 AR type weapon can equal many bolt rifles. But they are very high spec, and expensive to manufacture, hence the persistence of bolt rifles still.

Scenario.. 5 enemy are seen in a group planting an IED, bolt rifle gets one shot and they scatter, semi auto fires 10 quick aimed shots, at moving targets, maximum casualties ensue.

T

Tinman74

Multiple target acquisition. Rapid follow up shots without loosing sight picture, sniper able to return fire in a contact. Mucho more effective out to the 600 m range, which is the average range of 7.62 sniper fire, longer range rounds like .338 I'm not talking about. A pimped up 7.62 AR type weapon can equal many bolt rifles. But they are very high spec, and expensive to manufacture, hence the persistence of bolt rifles still.

Scenario.. 5 enemy are seen in a group planting an IED, bolt rifle gets one shot and they scatter, semi auto fires 10 quick aimed shots, at moving targets, maximum casualties ensue.

Brimstone.

You've completely misunderstood the concept of a sniper and a sniper rifle haven't you?

And above all "A pimped up 7.62 AR type weapon can equal many bolt rifles" but sniper rifles are not regular bolt rifles.

I think he is on about more of a DMR style than yer actual reach out and touch sniper rifle capable of 1000 yard plus aimed shots.

Looks like a pretty good and versatile sniper rifle for taking out jihadis.
My only concern is the synthetic stock.
Cutting notches in plastic, rather than wood, never really develops the smooth, patinad scorecard of a proper saracen sorter outer.

wheel

LE

You watch to much Hollywood.

Latest Threads