ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Ideological Brainwashing of British Youth?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Condottiere, Jan 15, 2014.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Joe 118118

Religion is frequently used as an excuse for mans worst excesses. Spider blamed religion not god. A valid point in my opinion.

Before you reply think carefully this isn't the Naafi, don't be abusive in this section.

2. SPIDER38

SPIDER38 On ROPs

i wasn't blaming god,to do that i would have to believe in A God,i generally avoid God botherers like herpes as i find it very hard to believe intelligent people could believe in it,for example i garrantee you could not tell me if it were a he or she, personally i like Alan Partridges description ie that its a GAS.....my gripe was aimed at the Catholic Church and decades and decades in fact centuries of appalling behaviour.Religion to me is the very Topic of this post it is brain washing pure and simple,you dont need a book or a church to teach/tell you to be good or kind,imo.Religion was once the way of controlling the masses without a proper form of LAW those days are gone,now it sucks in the weak minded or the brainwashed or worse those that REALLY haven't thought about practicalitys of an all seeing all hearing invisible man.And finally you called me a mong please explain you're god to me!..................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oddly enough i do have a slight phobia of Bibles i think it stems from when i was a kid this odd ball [who was around the same age perhaps around eleven or twelve] i used to know once cycled thirteen miles to buy one on his own during a school holiday,i have always remembered this and sub-consciously have always been worried that if i pick it up i'll end up like some David Koresh type.......i should say i'am not the anti-christ however........

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  3. Have you ever considered that you could be wrong? ?? Enturnity is a long time especially in a shit hole like hell

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

4. Why has a thread about political ideologies being pushed onto the young, and the use of comedy programmes for teaching purposes, been hijacked by the usual strident anti religious posters?

5. I would argue Yokel that in many ways Religion has very much been a political ideology, as such the digression doesn't surprise me,

6. It has certainly been used by politicians and rulers throughout history so I tend to agree. However, the oft heard comment that "religion causes all wars" does nothing to explain the crimes of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, et al. Perhaps lack of tolerance and lack of understanding - the willingness to see certain groups as being somehow less human, have been far more to blame for mankind's ill, but harder to accept than finding an easy scapegoat.

7. Good point Yokel in return I suggest the line "religion has caused all wars" is as you say hyperbolic (hyper bollux?)

That religion has been used to justify a large number of wars and evil acts is indisputable.

You raise an interesting point re stalin, Polpot et a,l I would argue that if you were to examine communism and some of its adherents, it has very much taken on the form of a religion albeit one with out a definitive god figure, not un akin to Buddhism (which also has a chequered past for such a pacifist religion.

I do think though a distinction should be clearly made between religion and god when discussing these things.
    MRS L firmly believes in god, she dislikes religion,
    I dislike and distrust religion and am not convinced about the existence of god.

regards

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  8. may be a diversion/red herring thing: the point being, well, if schools can foist a particular religion, then they should be allowed the same with politics to make things "fair"

9. You're more fun when you're rabbiting on about imaginary firearms than imaginary father-figures.

10. Given that they are not religions, it might be fairer to consider that there are shared human social characteristics that are likely to arise under ideologies, religious or not, ... The Cause that many people are willing to devote themselves to and the types of behaviour that often end up being the hallmark of those who exert certain types of control over The Cause.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Pretty much what I was trying to say.

12. It does receive state funding as well as being fee-paying. The revenue is used for scholarships - academic and sports - for boys from 'disadvantaged backgrounds'. The entrance exam is open to all and those who wish to apply for a scholarship tick the box - this can be full or partial. The Primary schools are usually instrumental in encouraging boys forward as their parents tend to lack the foresight (aka couldn't give a damn). They are usually quite bright and the intent is to break the cycle of dependency by giving them a decent education in a supportive environment. Tax payers money is used to benefit the offspring of non, never have and never likely to be - taxpayers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ....... hopefully turning them into productive members of society and new tax-payers!

14. That's the plan!!

However after a gossip in the staff room last week about who went on to do what, a large number of former students have become involved in politics - all Labour. Also lots of teachers, Police and Army - must have been the rigour and discipline of a Catholic education ????