Identity Discs

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Are_you_serious_Sir?, Jun 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A photographer friend of mine is doing a set of pictures titled 'Tommy' on the human side of the modern British soldier. Obviously she's using actors but she's trying to get everything as accurate as possible, she asked for my superior knowledge and I must confess I didn't know the answers so:

What information would one find on ID discs?

Are they stamped or engraved?

Does the second disc hang on a separate smaller loop or from the same chain around neck?

Is it common to find discs taped together to prevent jangling or do people tape 'good luck thingeys' to their discs?

thanks in advance

2. Using actors? she's fecked it allready

3. she couldn't get permission to use real soldiers, persec and all that.

4. Get her to call the TA, soldiers regular and TA often work on films as extras, or for the precious "Background artists"

5. will pass on the suggestion, can anyone actually answer the original question?

6. Number,Rank,Name,Blood group,Religion stamped if i remember correctly

7. But have seen some etched though

8. Number
    Name & Initials
    DOB
    Blood Group
    Religion
    Penis Size (Males)
    Breast Size (Females)

9. Rank is not shown on ID Discs. Stamped is correct.

10. name number blood group religion one disc on main chain second disc on short chain some people put tubing round on top of chain as chain can rub on neck other just put discs in pocket .dog tag silencers from px used by some little bits of rubber fit round edges of disc .

11. New ones are etched as well

12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Aye, Watertight's correct but the order needs re-arranging.

Blood
    No.
    Surname
    Initials
    Rel

13. What information would one find on ID discs?

Number, name, religion and blood group. In that order from top to bottom.

Are they stamped or engraved?

Stamped.

Does the second disc hang on a separate smaller loop or from the same chain around neck?

From a smaller loop.

Is it common to find discs taped together to prevent jangling or do people tape 'good luck thingeys' to their discs?

Yes to both. You also get those rubber things that go round the rim.

And they're round not oblong like the septic ones.

14. Why all the fuss - you never see 'em anyway! Your friend must be over influenced by the yanks.

15. Just checked my old ones, info as cutaways says. 1 disc is Round & one is Oval.