Identifying Medal Ribbon / Campaign etc

Evening,

I've been pointed to this forum by some ex forces mates hoping someone might be able to assist with identifying my Grandfather's medal ribbon possibly so I can then find which service he was in. I've tried searching his name on records sites but drawn a blank. Something a bit murky maybe! As I understand he upped and left his wife and 5 kids to join the British Army just before or early on in WW2. Rumours he was also a B Special at some time. Anyway, here he his in a painting. No use asking my Mum about him as mixed dementia!

Cheers.

20190616_122111.thumb.jpg.018f0d72e65e7e860cb3d7ccefc32cdf.jpg

If the colours are accurate, the first ribbon is for the 1939-45 Star and the second one is for the France and Germany Star. This may not have been his total entitlement.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
39-45 star and France/Germany star I think

Just thinking out loud...

Khaki drill collar lining - private purchase?

No rank on the epaulettes - Warrant Officer?

The image of the old boy is the period immediately post-WWII, as there is no Defence Medal nor War Medal ribbon (the absence of the DM would suggest that he probably didn't qualify for it, as the ribbon was authorised before that of the WM).

As @slick rightly says, go through the MoD route for access to his records-and save yourself time and money with other sites as WWII Service are not in the public domain.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Evening,

I've been pointed to this forum by some ex forces mates hoping someone might be able to assist with identifying my Grandfather's medal ribbon possibly so I can then find which service he was in. I've tried searching his name on records sites but drawn a blank. Something a bit murky maybe! As I understand he upped and left his wife and 5 kids to join the British Army just before or early on in WW2. Rumours he was also a B Special at some time. Anyway, here he his in a painting. No use asking my Mum about him as mixed dementia!

Cheers.

View attachment 399058
What other gen do you have on him ?
Name, date and place of birth, trade or profession, Svc/Regtl No., etc.
Which routes have you already tried ?
As slick and 40C have said, the MoD will, in this particular subject anyway, shaft you least.

What other gen do you have on him ?
Name, date and place of birth, trade or profession, Svc/Regtl No., etc.
Which routes have you already tried ?
As slick and 40C have said, the MoD will, in this particular subject anyway, shaft you least.
All I have his his name at the moment and born circa 1900.

All I have his his name at the moment and born circa 1900.
Give it a go on here, you maybe surprised... Maybe make a donation to Holidays for Hero's

There is a George Ruttle, born 24 Jan 1906, but in Limerick though the family are recorded at Clonmoney, Co Clare for the 1911 Census. His death was recorded in Oct 1977 at Stratford-upon-Avon.
Thank you very much. Sounds right. The whole extended family reside in / around Limerick to this day.

Where did you find the birth/death dates recorded?

Thank you very much. Sounds right. The whole extended family reside in / around Limerick to this day.

Where did you find the birth/death dates recorded?
Ancestry.co.uk - most Public Libraries have basic, free access to the site.

A lady named Rachel McMahon has raised a Family Tree which includes some details for George (though she's included the wrong date of death for him-1979 instead of 1977).

If George's Mother was Elizabeth Ruttle nee Murphy and his father was Robert Samuel Ruttle, then that's your man.

Ancestry.co.uk - most Public Libraries have basic, free access to the site.

A lady named Rachel McMahon has raised a Family Tree which includes some details for George (though she's included the wrong date of death for him-1979 instead of 1977).

If George's Mother was Elizabeth Ruttle nee Murphy and his father was Robert Samuel Ruttle, then that's your man.
Rachel is my second cousin! Haven't seen her in 30+ years when she was little. Don't know her now or any of the Irish lot. Never been there either.

Many thanks for this. Not sure it helps finding George's military history though?

Screenshot_20190618-163604_Chrome.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Medals 23
seanbean Medals 4
Mickster1905 US 17