Identify this?

The M60 was based on it though
Not quite.

The M60 uses the style of belt feed with an extra feed pawl, but that's it

The 60 is gas operated vs recoil
The 60 bolt long heard as a copy of the FG-42 is more akin to the Lewis gun (the operating road and bolt show its parentage)

Can someone tell me what this is? My nephew just asked me and I don't have a scooby.

View attachment 128531
Looks very like a MG 42 7.92mm German WWII machine gun, that said given the ammo is coming out a M60 box it may well be the post WWII MG3 7.62mm machine gun that I had the privilege to fire while on my German para wings course 1987.
Saw a couple of comments regarding the M60. It was designed to supposedly give the same sort of performance as the MG 42 but was based on the FG 42 mechanism. All in all not a great success as quite complicated with fiddley small parts and a ludicrous barrel change drill.

Looks very like a MG 42 7.92mm German WWII machine gun, that said given the ammo is coming out a M60 box it may well be the post WWII MG3 7.62mm machine gun that I had the privilege to fire while on my German para wings course 1987.
Saw a couple of comments regarding the M60. It was designed to supposedly give the same sort of performance as the MG 42 but was based on the FG 42 mechanism. All in all not a great success as quite complicated with fiddley small parts and a ludicrous barrel change drill.
Barrel change was quicker than the GPMG.

Stop firing, set safety

flip up barrel latch

remove barrel

New barrel on

Set barrel latch

resume firing

The M-60's problems were:

Gas piston plug could be installed backwards resulting in single shot fire. resolved in M60E3

No handle on barrel, resolved M60E3

Bolt had to be cocked to close feedtray cover, resolved M60E3

Sear could be installed backwards, resolved M60E3

Runaway gun due to short recoil operating rod not going far enough back to engage sear, resolved with extra sear notches on Operating rod during 1980's

I could easily shoulder fire it like a rifle as needed and with little practice was able to fire Semi Automatically as needed. While in III Corps we had yearly marksmanship competitions and one of the firing tables was:
KD range Standard Bull's-eye targets
Targets go up for 40 second exposure
When targets go up, gun crew runs 100M sets up for bipod fire and fire 20 rds Semi auto if possible, targets will go down automatically. Scoring is std for Bullseye targets
Repeat this process from the 600M to 100M lines times 3
Average up the points and add to timed 2 mile run in full battle rattle with full gun equipment. the trick to a good 60 was grease, not oil to lube the bolt lugs and raceways

G

goatrutar

^. I had the joy of being stuck with the M60 for a while. Our ones were just about buggered by the time they got rid of them. They weren't too bad to lug around and the cyclic rate wasn't insanely fast like the MG3 (iirc about 550rpm). Barrel changing could be a bit of a ball ache as the bipod legs were at the end of the barrel.

It's probably a fair bet the M60 was quite a bit cheaper than the MAG58 as well.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Where's PigGunner when you need him?
I'm here mate! It's pretty much all been covered except the possibility of a nice love bite if the bolt slips off the operating rod whilst slipping it back in its housing! Ouch! This was possibly the trickiest thing about the weapon..... at least that I can remember.

275_m60_parts.jpg

Things always look better with pictures!

For anyone that has never used the 60, that's the bolt at the top of the picture (shown assembled with operating rod) . You have to mate it up with the operating rod via that small lug and a small plate attached to the bolt spring. When you are confident it is lined up, you push and twist (probably not quite 90 degrees) and physically hold the assembly in place as you slip the assembly into the housing. It takes a fair bit of practise to get it right first time regularly (and quickly).