• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Identify this weapon ?

Hi Gents,

A "friend" has been left this rifle in a will and is looking to identify it and also obtain a value.

Some clues

Engraved "VR tower 1847"

A Crown and B9

B13 with Crown with 35 underneath

Sorry the pics are poor, camera phone don't you know.

Many thanks

I'm suspecting it might be a reproduction. It's some flavour of cavalry carbine percussion lock. It doesn't look to be a converted flintlock but the 1847 date seems perhaps a little early.

Croque monsiuer will be a long with the right answer.

From its general layout, it looks like a Brunswick Rifle (it is rifled, isn't it?), although the rear sight is wrong (In fact that rear sight looks very Khyber Pass to me.) and I didn't think that there was a Cavalry Carbine version.

Beerhunter said:
From its general layout, it looks like a Brunswick Rifle, although the rear sight is wrong (In fact that rear sight looks very Khyber Pass to me.) and I didn't think that there was a Cavalry Carbine version.
Plus it's got what appears to be a P53 percussion lock.

Looks like it's a 1844 Yeomanry cavalry carbine. .66" smoothbore and original percussion lock, 20" barrel? Rear sight is kosher. The Brunswick second and third pattern have sidelocks like the P53, but is easily recognisable with its two deep groove rifling and was not made in carbine form.

Value for these oldies depends on condition.

Latest Threads