Identify the WW2 image please!

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
After a bit of help.

These dudes are on the steps of St Paul's, and it looks like WW2 era, but can anyone work out any more detail?

20210307_133311.jpg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
They might have been to Adastral house for promotion or allocation to theri new unit, or visiting St Clement Danes for a service
( The RAF CHurch) all a short walk away
or perhaps been to give an interview in Fleet street as they appear to be aircrew

They might have been to Adastral house for promotion or allocation to theri new unit, or visiting St Clement Danes for a service
( The RAF CHurch) all a short walk away
or perhaps been to give an interview in Fleet street as they appear to be aircrew
No steps up to St Clements Danes. It was also destroyed during the Blitz and not reopened until the RAF restored it (through 'voluntary contributions') in the late 1950s. Moreover, RAF Greatcoats for Officers had cuffs and belts during WWII.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
No steps up to St Clements Danes. It was also destroyed during the Blitz and not reopened until the RAF restored it (through 'voluntary contributions') in the late 1950s. Moreover, RAF Greatcoats for Officers had cuffs and belts during WWII.
no i meant that thye may have visited St Clement Danes, i know my uncle did, the walls tower and steeple stood defiant against the Luftwaffe

syrup

LE
Two family members meeting up?

Left one appears to be an Army officer pips on his shoulder
Crease in well pressed trousers hanging at correct length.

RAF SGT trousers look badly pressed and not tailored

One has a batman and ones going like a bat out of hell over the Reich nightly

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
They're both wearing Army greatcoats, as @Filthy_contract notes. Both quite well-fed and wearing SD trousers, rather than battledress. The officer's side cap looks like a coloured version, where the Sergeant has what looks like a normal khaki one.

Was Canadian SD the same darker, greener shade as their BD? Might they be Canucks?

Issi

LE
Why did everyone in the 1940’s appear to be middle aged?

All the chaps look like George Formby, and a photo of a 19yr old WAAF looks like your Aunty Doris.

Why did everyone in the 1940’s appear to be middle aged?

All the chaps look like George Formby, and a photo of a 19yr old WAAF looks like your Aunty Doris.
Stress. Lots and lots and lots of stress. The real kind of stress over life and death, not over which toilet or pronouns to use.

Is the one on left a Canadian officer Maj Gen 'Ham' Roberts?

I'd say 'no': assuming this was taken during WWII, Roberts was in his 50s, and the subject appears quite a few years younger. Also, I'd suggest 'Ham' was carrying quite a bit more beef, and the 'tache shape doesn't seem correct.

Roberts.jpg

I'd say 'no': assuming this was taken during WWII, Roberts was in his 50s, and the subject appears quite a few years younger. Also, I'd suggest 'Ham' was carrying quite a bit more beef, and the 'tache shape doesn't seem correct.

Roberts.jpg
Well that's narrowed it down a bit then.