Ideas sought for victims memorial

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mad_Moriarty, Aug 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ideas on how to remember victims of Northern Ireland's violent past are being sought by a cross-community group.
    Healing Through Remembering was set up to help deal with the effects of the Troubles.

Spokesman Alan McBride said they wanted to establish a museum but had not yet decided what form this should take.

Mr McBride's wife and father-in-law were among nine people killed in a bomb in a Shankill Road fish shop in 1993.

2. Adams hanging from a gibbet?

3. Serious replies please!!!

4. eer, that was :-D

5. I'm English. WE should have something over HERE to commemorate those of US who died over THERE trying to keep peace on a solipsistic promontory that WE had to go and police because THEY weren't up to it.

For that purpose WE have the Cenotaph. For all the poor souls who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, or caught up in the violence, or quite deserved their messy death there should be something else.

6. :roll:

7. one thing the irish don't need is another thing to fall out over.

there a rememberence as it is on the day it happened,

I mean have you ever met any irish who dosen't remember "so and So who's my second cousin and my mothers side, got slotted right there"

nope, a granite tablet won't help IMO.

8. I visit Birmingham often. (Someone has to.) There is a small cathedral in the centre of the city. On a Saturday the cathedral garden is full of people loafing about having lunch. In the middle of the garden, completely ignored and anonymous is a four foot high plain stone plinth. This is the pathetic memorial to the victims of the PIRA pub bombings.

Everytime I walk past it, I am reminded of all the publicity and plaudits that the Birmingham 6 get and yet it seems that the poor people who were victims of the bombers are largely forgotten.