Ideas for schools visit

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Captain_Crusty, May 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have been asked to go into a local school to talk about being in the army.

Previous visits from other professions have been a bit static and the children (aged 5 & 6) have got a bit bored. I have therefore been asked if I can make my 'talk' a bit more 'physical' ie get the children outside and running around.

Does anyone have any ideas for activities eg leopard crawling etc?

Any thought gratefully received!

C_C

2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Camouflage and concealment. Either cam someone up and hide them in the grounds or place out items, eg mess tins, and have a competition for who can spot the most.

3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Take some CBRN kit, gimp mask is always fun to put on and run around in!! - seriously my scout troop loved CBRN kit when I took it along. Would look hilarious on 5 and 6 year olds but they'll not care.

Same goes for webbing and helmet, if you can get your hands on a gillie suit even better.

Actually just take your whole kit list in and empty it out on the floor and describe each bit...then get them to try bits on.

S_R

4. Cooking compo goes down well, I don't know the age group but from experience, no matter how interesting you think your subjects are year 7, 8, and 9 can lose focus pretty quickly so keep them on the go with short tasks. Do not become disheartened if you see an apparent lack of interest among some, it hard being cool but they will still enjoy the input.
    The dressing up game is good, if you can and have full kit webbing helmets body armour boots get one person out and dress them explaining stuff as you go. Put a bit of sand in to really bump ip the weight. As has been mentioned you can do the same with CBRN kit.
    If you have been out in AFG they will ask you a thousand questions the main one being have you killed anyone? I always say that information like that is subject to official secrets come back in 50 years.
    Does the school have cadets? They could help.

Do a basic lesson plan, it will help and as a result you will portray a professional image.

Ps I did 8 years in the Army, then more years in the Police until I retired and now work in a secondary school so if I can offer advice on anything pm me

5. Further to my last, make sure you look the Billy bollocks, in 1974 when I was 12-13 a squaddie came to my school and did what you are going to do. At the end of his talk and input I decided it was for me and became a J/RFN in 1977.

6. Kim's Game FB assault course FB speed/ distance/ time exercise.

GBTD

7. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Depending on the situation, usually in a checkout line, and age of the kid I just smile at the Mum and say "Nah, we're peacekeepers. Ask your Mum to explain who NATO/UN are. We stop other people hurting each other.! You're obviously CRB'd so see if you can grab a few bright ACF kids to take along.

I know it's been done in another thread, but I was asked that last week by an adult. I just grinned and used the old chestnut of "Yeah, the last person who asked me that question."

I rocked up at my school in full kit, Bergan etc. to have lunch with my old housemaster. They only pulled out the whole Pipe band for me after lunch. Thankfully, I was sober, boots were perfect and you could have cut butter with my creases. The kids loved it.

Good luck mate and let us know how you get on.