Ideas for a romantic getaway?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by happysapper, Jan 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right - i thought i'd enlist the help of fellow arrsers, and i'm hoping that you don't let me down!

I want to take my gorgeous girlfriend away for a few days; but between the two of us we're quite picky about what we we're looking for.

In short we'd like somewhere that is:

Nowhere near anyone else or part of a complex of cottages
    Near water/the coast
    Stunning views
    Bath as opposed to a shower room would be great
    Open fire/log burner would be a bonus

We're looking to get away in March/April, and to be honest whatever bit of the country or the cost aren't really important - we just want to find that perfect location.

So have any of you lot got any suggestions?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Redcar.

3. what's the budget? burgh island is nice
  4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

5. The Endsleigh Hotel. Trust me, sorted. Book room one or eight and the private dining room (no extra cost).

It ticks each of your requirements, great chef too, seasonal country fare to Michelin star standard, yet unaffected.

It's on the Tamar, fantastic walks/views. Afternoon tea is not to be missed.
  6. Shut it, fatty.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Eriskay. My cousin married a lass from there and it's simply stunning. Now that they've built a causeway to Uist, it's far more easy to get to but still effort-involved enough to discourage the mongish masses. You can get an Islander flight from Glasgow to Benbecula and either a hire car or taxi to the island.
  8. Look up Ardanasieg Hotel on the Internet. Apart from the Hotel itself, they have a Boathouse Cottage right on the Loch Awe bank.

It is on the banks of Loch Awe near to Ben Cruachan. Back of Beyond, lots of wildlife. Rhododendron Gardens.
  9. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

How about Skye? Stunning walks but bit of a pain to get to. Stayed at this place once, pricey but amazing location:

Isle of Skye Hotels | Greshornish House

Owners have two sons in the mob so Army friendly, might even get a discount if you ask although I doubt it.
  10. Bangkok

.. seriously though, anywhere else in Thailand
  11. Neither of us are fans of hotels, but the boathouse sounds ideal. I'll take a look cheers!

As for budget, there isn't one really.

Cheers for the suggestions so far guys!

12. IIRC, they suggest that the Boathouse could be perfect for Honeymoons. It IS a lovely location.

Maybe early spring would be too early to borrow one of their boats to take a trip on the Loch. When I went a few years ago now, they gave us a lovely Picnic Hamper complete with Champagne, and we rowed over to a uninhabited little island and had our picnic there. Look at it on Google Earth. Loch Awe.
  13. Tralee bay near Oban has some nice log cabins but no log fire.
  14. You'll need to pay corkage if you go there